• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Training Camp Tidbits

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
Ryan O'Halloran
5. #Redskins Fever hasn't gripped area just yet. This is Year 8 of covering this madness and last two days by far smallest crowds for camp.

Grant Paulsen on camp size:
"Unreal. Been out here since Spurrier's first camp when they moved it back. Smallest crowds ever, and today is smallest of camp."

I've seen similar comments from other teams, the Vikings and Cowboys most recently either in tweets or comments and I'm wondering if this might not be a league-wide phenomenon brought on by some combination of lockout-inspired fan ennui, lack of time to plan attendance due to everything being time crunched, gross heat wave effects, or some other factors.

I thought it could also be related to the economy - less people are willing to take time off work, because jobs are at a premium right now.

Yep, people always seem to forget the economy except when they are out of work.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I thought it could also be related to the economy - less people are willing to take time off work, because jobs are at a premium right now.

That too, Lanky. With everything that has happened this year both in and out of the NFL world I'll be interested in watching things like season-ticket sales, game attendance, tv ratings and the like.

Oh, by the way, and more toward the TC area, I also am liking what I'm hearing about Jenkins with one caveat.

Is he that good or is the OL showing a weakness that can be exploited?

Oh, by the way, and more toward the TC area, I also am liking what I'm hearing about Jenkins with one caveat.

Is he that good or is the OL showing a weakness that can be exploited?

That's what I'm afraid of. If he's just dominating a poor OL, its double-bad for us.

The profiles on Jenkins and Cofield is that they are both very strong. I think you will be seeing both starting in 2011. Jenkins perhaps as a rotation with Carriker to start off the season.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I've seen similar comments from other teams, the Vikings and Cowboys most recently either in tweets or comments and I'm wondering if this might not be a league-wide phenomenon brought on by some combination of lockout-inspired fan ennui, lack of time to plan attendance due to everything being time crunched, gross heat wave effects, or some other factors.

I think the lack of time to plan is the big one. In years past, you knew when TC was going to open and you could plan a road trip/day off/whatever; this year, what did we have? One week to plan? That's not enough time for most people to take time off, imo.

I will jump into the Kelly conversation. There is a reason he was brought back. He could have been let go last year with Thomas, but he works hard and keeps his mouth shut. Rumor has been that his hands are excellent.

He definitely has a realistic shot at staying on this team. If he makes it through healthy, I think he will contribute significantly this season.

I will jump into the Kelly conversation. There is a reason he was brought back. He could have been let go last year with Thomas, but he works hard and keeps his mouth shut. Rumor has been that his hands are excellent.

He definitely has a realistic shot at staying on this team. If he makes it through healthy, I think he will contribute significantly this season.

Exactly. If they were done with him, they'd have cut him last year after injury #756, but they stuck with him. You don't IR 2nd-year players who have barely seen the field and you are planning on cutting, you give them an injury settlement and send them on their way. Kelly still figures into the Shanahan's plans, make no mistake. I just hope the kid can stay upright.

If my aunt had a wang she'd be my uncle. Kelly has had how many years and yet to make any sort of contribution? I feel for the guy but even coming out of college he was scouted to have bad knees.

Mike, you are missing my point.

Add to that the fact that without a CBA no one knew for sure when training camp would so could not schedule time off early. I have worked for a number of places that require a 2 week notice for time off except in case of medical or family emergency.

"Redskins doing ST now. Watching Chris Neild lead the KO return wedge is awesome. I really feel for KO defenders who'll have to take him on."

"FB/TE Mike Sellers is seeing some time now during walk throughs. QB Chappell hasn't seen the light of day in the AM practice."

All the Redskins are now practicing together for the first time.

Approximately 12 minutes into the new league year (and his first camp), Hightower has his first fumble. D'oh!

Hahahaha, had to post this tidbit from Vikings camp:

@JuddZulgad: McNabb's first pass is low to Shiancoe and ends up on ground. Fans moan. Calm down.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/cap-room-snapshot-as-of-thursday/

Here is the cap situation for each team.

Cap room snapshot, as of Thursday
Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
We previously obtained the salary cap room (or lack thereof) for each team as of Tuesday. Several of you have asked for something more current.

Your wish is our command.

Here’s the info as of Thursday.

The teams with cap space, a day before all teams must be in compliance, are as follows: Buccaneers ($ 29,560,000); Chiefs ($ 28,431,000); Jaguars ($ 28,000,000); Browns ($ 27,620,000); Bengals ($ 27,164,000); Broncos ($26,542,000); Bills ($ 23,460,000); 49ers ($ 22,570,000); Bears ($ 19,300,000); Seahawks ($ 16,387,000); Cardinals ($ 14,603,000); Redskins ($ 11,450,000); Packers ($ 11,106,000); Jets ($ 8,920,000); Dolphins ($ 8,446,000); Colts ($7,925,000); Titans ($ 7,127,000); Saints ($ 7,027,000); Patriots ($ 5,264,000); Chargers ($ 5,031,000); Eagles ($4,604,000); Ravens ($ 3,558,000); Panthers ($ 1,915,000); Vikings ($ 938,000); Falcons ($811,000); Giants ($623,000); Rams ($621,000).

The teams in the red are: Raiders ($15,246,000); Steelers ($8,597,000); Lions ($7,793,000); Cowboys ($6,671,000); and Texans ($3,358,000).

By tomorrow at 4:00 p.m., there should be no teams in the red.

A few teams may need to release some young talent and the Redskins could benefit. They are high on the waiver claim list AND have cap room to be a player.

Here is another situation that could favor the Redskins...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/49ers-e-mail-every-team-trying-to-trade-taylor-mays/

Taylor Mays could be had for nothing at SS. He could be brought in for depth and to help with the LL thing - especially if LL the injury is a long term thing. Either way, it is a win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a report that Malcolm is down again...not good for Mr. Kelly.

Looks like Chester is getting beaten like a rented mule. Sigh.

Chris Russell:
"Jarvis Jenkins just plowed Chris Chester all way back in 1's #Redskins"

"Neild also got under Chester, Markus White continues to impress me with athleticism #Redskins"

FYI: The report that Malcolm is down was from one of the great "Insiders" from the other site, and is so far unconfirmed.

Kelly injury has been confirmed, they were treating his right foot. Man, dude cannot catch a break.

Oh snap, hopefully I did not just jinx him into actually catching a broken foot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.