• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

I do love those giant ass chocolate chip cookies but can never get them to bake evenly

FWIW I couldn't get them to bake evenly either until I switched to a cast-iron skillet. I brown the butter first to get it hot, then make the dough and press it back into place. Really good results that way.

There’s a local bar & grill here called Lobo’s and they just made me the best spicy chicken sandwich I’ve had this year & possibly longer. Crispy fried with bacon and ghost pepper cheese?!?!

I didn’t even know of such a joy in the realm of cheese!

Edit: This place is so dang good

FBDAD623-9304-41C8-8756-B14311AAF29C.jpeg

Last edited:
Made chili last night for the first time in far too long. Had a top round roast I ground up as well as some homemade dried anaheim peppers. Ground those up for a homemade chili powder and just went with a simple beef broth. It was outstanding.

Added some cast-iron cornbread for good measure and I think everyone was pretty happy.

Thanksgiving was a homerun. Only had the in-laws over, enjoying dinner outside (weather was amazing) but we made enough food for an army. I smoked a turkey that was perfect, added in a Torta Pasqualina (swiss chard/ricotta pie), squash casserole, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cornbread and more. I also made a cheesecake and peanut butter pie. The in-laws brought hashbrowns casserole, stuffing, deviled eggs and an apple pie.

God I love Thanksgiving.

I did a brined 14 lb turkey this year. A day in brine, stuffed it with onion, apple, orange, and fresh herbs, then rubbed it down with olive oil, two types of Meat Church rub. On the smoker for 3 hours or so. Came out amazing. My wife did most of the sides but I did do a wild rice, mushroom, hot sausage dressing that was off the hook good.

So it is generally the simple dishes that I do that are the best.

I don't generally cook much fish, tuna steaks now and again, and I will prepare salmon for my wife even though I don't eat it.

Tonight I baked a piece of rockfish. Salt/pepper, half a sliced lemon on top and baked for 20 minutes. Served with steamed spinach.

Friggin delicious.

I don't find them very often, but I love trout that style....lemon and lime slices and salt and pepper. Sometimes simple is the best.

This is an absolutely amazing meal. Shredded beef sandwiches. You can thank me later. Will be doing this later today.

Pepper Stout Beef Sandwiches

4lb - Chuck Roast
2 - Big Bell Peppers sliced
1 - Big Red Onion sliced
3 - Big Jalapenos Sliced seed and all
6 - Garlic Cloves mince
1/4 - cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 - 12oz Bottle Guinness Extra Stout
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

Heavily season Chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on a grill or smoker indirect in the 245º-260º range. You can add smoke wood if you prefer, I did not. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165º.

While the roast is cooking, add the remaining ingredients in 13 x 9 or similar aluminum pan or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half.

Serve meat on hard rolls with your choice of cheese. We used pepper jack on some and gorgonzola on some and liked both, but provolone, swiss, etc., would work perfectly fine. Horseradish would be another good condiment.

864575C5-A212-4DC4-9993-DB8CFE3F54DC.jpeg

5BB2694B-764B-426E-A4DB-F23C21D2CCEE.jpeg

AB33153F-15B1-485E-99E0-58AA14F76435.jpeg

34DF2AF4-55EE-4C87-B8B3-39376A880DDF.jpeg

Last edited:
So when the species began to populate the Potomac and other tributaries in the Chesapeake, environmentalists feared their aggression would permanently disrupt the ecosystem. The snakehead had them fearing the worst for species like the crab and rockfish that the bay are known for.. While still a concern, the species seems to have transitioned into the ecosystem without much damage to the population of other species within just under 20 years after being introduced.

So...why do I bring it up? I have a good friend of Korean decent who told me about 2 years ago that they are good eating. Man is becoming a major predator for them.

After watching another friend on FB become addicted to fishing them in certain waters off the Bay, I finally asked him for some filets when he showed off a 9 pounder.

So there are 2 filets sitting in my fridge waiting for me to cook them for dinner tonight.

Not quite sure what to do with them...any suggestions?

It is being compared to grouper, just not quite as flavorful.

I'd bake them with lemon/lime slices above and below and a drizzle of olive oil

I'd bake them with lemon/lime slices above and below and a drizzle of olive oil
Thinking about trying to duplicate a crunchy grouper sandwich batter and go ahead and deep fry.

Will probably do the citrus bake.

I was just thinking if you want to get a real idea of what snakehead tastes like.... everything's good fried in batter, but go for it!

I was just thinking if you want to get a real idea of what snakehead tastes like.... everything's good fried in batter, but go for it!
You're probably right...I am sure I can get more from him if I want to try the fried batter later. He told me he has like 10 pounds in his freezer if I want more.

Did someone say cookies?
View attachment 5001
Why must you torture me!?!?!? After losing 30 pounds over the summer, I put it ALL back on. Started eating healthy again, only for you to do this!

MEAN!

So I cooked the snakehead. It was good. It is not as good as grouper or snapper, which it has been compared to, but it was good.

I ended up going with the lemon, butter, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper. I boiled some potatoes with thyme and butter, and steamed asparagus. I only had a few of the potatoes.

Boone, glad I didn't batter and fry it, but I think this fish would make an awesome fried sandwich like the fried grouper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.