• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Tonight it was fresh salmon (caught yesterday) from the Taku River in Alaska, fresh corn on the cob, fresh green beans, fresh (fried) okra - all picked earlier today.
How the heck did you get salmon from Alaska to Mississippi in a day? FedEx or UPS?:wings:

How the heck did you get salmon from Alaska to Mississippi in a day? FedEx or UPS?:wings:

FedEx. They are based here in Memphis with an international hub in Anchorage. Four flights a day occur between the two cities.

I'm doing a modified version of Texas chile (steak cubes, bacon, canned tomatoes and jalapenos from the garden). 'Modified' part is addition of black beans. I love chili. The time of the year is irrelevant :)

Wow, was that a special occasion ?
Yes. The occasion was I was hungry and had nothing to do all day :laugh:

Guys like me don't need an excuse to make epic meals. I have often made a luxurious meal, and when asked what the occasion was, I responded with meh, it's Monday, this will make it suck less lol.

Boone, Lanky and a few others here get exactly what I'm talking about. As evidenced by Boone's August chili. No way in hell is chili just cold weather food :D

So, Clinton made a grilled cheese sandwich burger today on The Chew. Two grilled cheese sandwiches (with American cheese), with a burger patty in between, with whatever toppings you like. Looked amazing! Gonna do that very soon.
Tonight will be boiled shrimp, salmon (that same Sesame ginger teriyaki marinade I use for almost everything, lol), saffron rice, and this week's all purpose bean mix.

Soy/Ginger Pork Ribs on the grill. Now all I need to do is wait for 5 hours...

That sounds good Neo.

Went with chow hall styles tuna/noodles mmmmm...mmm. Not really but whadya gonna do

I made some pepper steak last night. Beef tips, onion, garlic, green peppers, homegrown canned tomatoes, some beef stock, a little texas pete and worcestershire, served over rice. Simple but nice!

No idea what's on the menu tonight. Better get thinking :)

Man U guys are making some good dishes. One thing I've been craving lately is crockpot roast, potatoes and dinner rolls.

Going to make a crockpot corn and yellow squash chowder. Along with the squash and corn (some of which will be blenderized with milk, thyme, salt, and pepper), will add crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, celery, shredded sharp cheddar, and a couple roasted poblanos. And some nice italian bread to go with it.

Whats your broth base John? Sounds great, and we always have a surplus of squash in the summer.

I'm just using milk, although did add a little of the bacon grease...first time making this recipe. We'll see how it turns out. Recipe calls for 4 pieces of crumbled bacon. I'm considering putting the whole 3/4 lbs in there :) I do have a big crock pot afterall.

Juiced two limes, added some worchestershire, soy sauce, cumin olive oil and steak rub and marinated a T-Bone for 3 hours. Then grilled it and sliced it thinly for fajitas.

Got some fresh cilantro and jalapenos from the farmers market and made some guacamole for the side. Also roasted some corn on the cob, wonderful meal. Nice and fresh.

Last night my son made mozzarella stuffed meatballs, homemade pasta, and a spinach pesto.

Not really dinner, more an appetizer, but my little girl and I just stuffed some of our special heirloom sweet peppers with half a cheesestick and put them under the broiler for 10 minutes.

Absolutely delicious!!!

So, Clinton made a grilled cheese sandwich burger today on The Chew. Two grilled cheese sandwiches (with American cheese), with a burger patty in between, with whatever toppings you like. Looked amazing! Gonna do that very soon.
Tonight will be boiled shrimp, salmon (that same Sesame ginger teriyaki marinade I use for almost everything, lol), saffron rice, and this week's all purpose bean mix.

Our local skins bar does a burger that way too, Its fantastic. (I think they use sourdough)

If you like barbecued chicken, you have got to try this. I take no credit for it, found the recipe on the internet. Basically, it's chicken legs set up in a brine for a few hours or more, and then grilled, with an unbelievable homemade sauce added at the end. The original recipe calls for cooking in an oven to finish. Don't. Instead, once you've got great grill marks done, move it to indirect heat on your grill. By the time you pull it off the grill, it should just about be falling off the bone. I mean this is 'crackhead' good.

The Ultimate Barbecued Chicken

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
2 hr 0 min
Cook Time:
1 hr 5 min
Level:
Intermediate
Serves:
6 servings

Ingredients
Brine:
2 quarts water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a large knife
4 sprigs fresh thyme
6 chicken legs and thighs, still connected, bone in, skin on, about 10 ounces each
The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce:
1 slice bacon
1 bunch fresh thyme
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika if available
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions

For the brine, in a mixing bowl combine the water, salt, sugar, garlic, and thyme. Transfer the brine to a 2-gallon sized re-sealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, close the bag and refrigerate 2 hours (if you've only got 15 minutes, that's fine) to allow the salt and seasonings to penetrate the chicken.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Wrap the bacon around the bunch of thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook slowly 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste. Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Once the sauce is done cooking, remove about 1 1/2 cups of the sauce and reserve for serving along side the chicken at the table. The rest of the barbecue sauce will be used for basing the legs.

Preheat oven 375 degrees F.

Preheat a grill pan or an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue to a medium heat. Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square. Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel and carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a nonstick surface. Take the chicken out of the brine, pat it dry on paper towels. Arrange the chicken pieces on the preheated grill and cook, turn once mid-way, and cook for a total of 10 minutes. Transfer the grill marked chicken to a cookie sheet and then place in the oven. Cook the chicken for 15 minutes, remove it from the oven and then brush liberally, coating every inch of the legs with the barbecue sauce and then return to the oven for 25 to 30 more minutes, basting the chicken for a second time half way through remaining cooking time. Serve with extra sauce.

Neo's sounds a bit similar to the broiled center cut pork chops basted with soy sauce between turnings I had a couple of nights ago. Last night was roasted eggplant accompanying beef and potatoes with onion gravy and tonight, going a bit lighter, is tomato soup with chicken and gorgonzola cheese along with garlic buttered toasted foccacia along with kale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.