• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

'WFT' for another season? WTF!!!

letting the fans help come up with the name of the team is going to be SO bad its going to be funny.

remember "boaty mcboatface"?

They're just asking for that and many other horribly funny names.

Remember the choices for the new name for the Bullets?

They were all losers. And then it was later revealed that Pollin had picked the name 'Wizards' before the public vote was held so it was all a shell game from the start.

Except the game backfired on Pollin and the team. Not only was the name 'Wizards' resisted by fans (many of whom still wear Bullets hats around town) but became synonymous with losing itself.

Despite dropping millions into players salaries for guys like Webber and Howard the NBA franchise remained the least successful in town for years, which it still is more or less (even the god-forsaken 2019 Redskins who finished 3-13 and appeared dead in the water have rebounded faster).

Meanwhile the hockey team Pollin and then Leonsis viewed as an afterthought to owning a sports empire based on a successful NBA franchise drawing stars to town, went on to become the regular contending team with HOF star and ultimately bringing a championship in 2018 to fans here.

I'm preparing to be disappointed with their choice. The BS idea that they're selling that "to get this right" it's going to take two seasons of being called "football team" is something that still I fail to understand. The explanations the team has given just don't hold water. Every time I hear us called the WFT it pisses me off just a little bit.....still.

I hate hate hate the idea of the public submitting their choices too. That's how you name a beer league hockey team in Armpit, Nova Scotia not a real pro sports franchise. When has that ever worked? Pick a name and let's ****ing get on with it. Rant over.

No new name is going to satisfy me or stop me from invoking the Redskins moniker.

I may be the only one but I’m ok with Football Team. When they win a title in can be THE Football Team.

Snyder, Cerrato and Allen ran ‘Redskins’ so far down I don’t mind keeping it what it is or making a slight change to ‘WFC -Washington Football Club’.

Said it before, will say it again.

I have assumed for many years when the time came, Warriors was the only name that made sense and didn't gag me.

Today I can add to that Washington, FC. With a classy, Premier League-like logo.

I have heard no other options that even come close. Dreading it a little.

I don't want to take a name that already has pro sports cache with another franchise in Golden State.

Let's at least be somewhat original.

I don't want to take a name that already has pro sports cache with another franchise in Golden State.

Let's at least be somewhat original.

I think very few people care about that. The NFL is king. Just like when someone mentions 'The Giants' - are you telling me the first instinct is for someone to say, oh - I love baseball!?

No one is going to love a new name (short of that merry band of Redwolves advocates - and that isn't happening). The best the team can hope for is something relatively generic that has some ties to DC, isn't going to offend anyone, and that the vast majority of fans can live with.

For me, that spells W-A-R-R-I-O-R-S.

‘Giants’ was historical based on the teams playing in New York early in the 20th century.

The tradition of the Giants baseball team get lost to memory in San Francisco.

But that’s what sports teams in the single market used to do.

Brooklyn not only had the Dodgers baseball team but a football team with the same name which played the Redskins each year.

So the crossover there was an old-time tradition, much like the Steelers black and gold being adopted by the Pirates and Penguins.

My point is - the idea that they shouldn't go 'Warriors' because it's 'already taken' by Golden State - it's sort of laughable. 98% of the American populace couldn't tell you what the name of the Golden State basketball team is. But they sure as hell will quickly learn the NFL team's name in Washington. That's just the way it is :)

The NFL is king. And it's not close.

Especially if they name them the Warriors and bring back a spun version the 70th anniversary uniforms to go with it. If they were to do something like that, they would instantly regain a couple ounces of credibility with the fanbase because a lot of the die hard fans who have 70th anniversary shwag can have it translate.

I had a lot of great ideas related to ‘Warriors’ which I actually submitted. An alternative camo uniform, commemorate a different famous military unit at each game, beta from that unit get free admission to that game, halftime show highlighting them each week.

it’s a no-brainer.

If you weren’t nervous about what kind of idiotic new name the corporate geniuses in Ashburn we’re going to settle on before, after seeing the lists they floated to some season tickets holders via email, you should be downright terrified.

Touchdown Washington Belters!

You guys give these corporate talking heads way too much credit!

This screams to me throwing out all the lunch suggestions in the kindergarten class to include things like dirt sandwiches and beets so everyone has a lot less of a problem with the generic 'pizza party'

This whole exercise is patently stupid and all it’s accomplishing is riling up fans and having them snipe at each other. They’ve botched this just like they botch just about everything that Ron Rivera isn’t directly responsible for...

Just the latest example of incompetent leadership in Ashburn. The reason they are having trouble finding a name is because they changed from the Redskins for the wrong reasons. They changed it purely to try and stop criticism and appease others, including sponsors. They didn’t really believe the name was wrong, nor should they have. So they are struggling now because they don’t know who to try and appease with a new name. They long ago abandoned the fans, so don’t expect much appeasing on that front.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.