• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

'WFT' for another season? WTF!!!

There is just no winning... at times I wonder if this team can ever do anything 'correctly'

Let me ask you about this fanbase and the 'tradition' they are so starved for. Would Mark Rypien have been embraced after 1990? Doug Williams prior to the SB? Sean Taylor after his ATV incident? Dexter Manley... John Riggins... Would they have been embraced by 'this' fanbase? Hell... Joe Gibbs was 0-5 in his first season... would he be supported and believed in if all things were equal?

Tradition is built... not copyrighted... and it doesn't just happen. No name chosen can 'create' tradition...

I agree with a lot of your point regarding patience. But no one is arguing a new name selected in a timely fashion makes any difference as far as the team, winning, tradition, or anything else. The only thing that will build those things is sustained improvement and success on the field. THAT hasn't changed, and in that regard, fans aren't any different now than they ever have been. You just didn't have a venue like social media to hear it from them back then.

Assuming Jason Wright meant it will be another season before we know the name, much less adopt it, and that Redskins fans will have to continue to cheer on the 'Washington Football Team' through next year, that sucks. It's irritating as hell for the majority of fans. For God's sake man - short of moving the team in the dark of night, I'm not sure what else they can do to abuse their own fanbase. They deserve to be criticized when they sound and act tone-deaf.

I think the vast majority of fans just want the name change process to be over so that, for those it's still possible with, we can start healing and moving forward. That's at the core of my irritation and I'm guessing others, not any grand expectations that it's going to impact anything else.

I agree with a lot of your point regarding patience. But no one is arguing a new name selected in a timely fashion makes any difference as far as the team, winning, tradition, or anything else. The only thing that will build those things is sustained improvement and success on the field. THAT hasn't changed, and in that regard, fans aren't any different now than they ever have been. You just didn't have a venue like social media to hear it from them back then.

Assuming Jason Wright meant it will be another season before we know the name, much less adopt it, and that Redskins fans will have to continue to cheer on the 'Washington Football Team' through next year, that sucks. It's irritating as hell for the majority of fans. For God's sake man - short of moving the team in the dark of night, I'm not sure what else they can do to abuse their own fanbase. They deserve to be criticized when they sound and act tone-deaf.

I think the vast majority of fans just want the name change process to be over so that, for those it's still possible with, we can start healing and moving forward. That's at the core of my irritation and I'm guessing others, not any grand expectations that it's going to impact anything else.

I agree with you completely, waiting until after the 2021 season to announce the team name would be irritating and frustrating. I want to get it over with too. I know at time's I sound like I'm beating some drum in constant support of the team... I assure you I'm not. I share frustrations and anger, but I try not to get upset until I have a reason to. I know it seems like I'm parsing words, but when I read Wrights comments, he never said it will be another season before we know the name. He said it could be another season under WFT. Just because we're still WFT does not mean the new name will not have been established in and released... it feels almost too intentional and cryptic that he doesn't specifically say "Be prepared for an announcement after 2021" or something along those lines. When I read it, it just feels like they plan on announcing the team name this coming offseason, and taking a year to update facilities, do whatever business things need to get done, and have an official roll out in the season of 2022, remaining WFT for another year but the new team name having been released.

I hope you're right brother. But I think their mindset is that they want to roll this out as a complete package, logo finalized, colors and uniforms finalized, etc... That's how corporate PR people think. It is rumored that the new name has been decided for months even now. If they weren't planning on keeping it under wraps for an extended period, it would likely already have been leaked by now.

If it's really going to take another full season for them to roll this out, the smartest thing they could do is to leak it.

I have nothing against Jason Wright. But publicly putting it out there that this may take a very long time, to a fanbase that is already highly pissed at the organization and very impatient, it's just stupid and tone deaf. It's the perfect follow-up to your 'hype video' of them erasing 'Redskins' from all their facilities. Dumb.

I hope you're right brother. But I think their mindset is that they want to roll this out as a complete package, logo finalized, colors and uniforms finalized, etc... That's how corporate PR people think. It is rumored that the new name has been decided for months even now. If they weren't planning on keeping it under wraps for an extended period, it would likely already have been leaked by now.

If it's really going to take another full season for them to roll this out, the smartest thing they could do is to leak it.

I have nothing against Jason Wright. But publicly putting it out there that this may take a very long time, to a fanbase that is already highly pissed at the organization and very impatient, it's just stupid and tone deaf. It's the perfect follow-up to your 'hype video' of them erasing 'Redskins' from all their facilities. Dumb.

Brother, we all have been so pissed and upset about a lack of transparency, and the news coming out of camp always being 'leaked.' That's bad business. It's been bad business for YEARS and something that has been a major issue with this franchise for a LOONG time. If nothing else this makes me feel a bit better about the organization is some twisted way, because it's been kept under wraps. Because it's clear they have a plan to get the details ironed out and roll the name out with a plan instead of the equivalent of a Friday news dump.

Nah. There's a big difference between leaks about players being unhappy or criticizing coaches and leaking what the new team name will be. Apples and oranges. My very first response to this was that this isn't planning a manned mission to Mars. It's choosing a new name. They need to pick a damn name and get it out there. The sooner the better. That's still my main reaction to this.

Nah. There's a big difference between leaks about players being unhappy or criticizing coaches and leaking what the new team name will be. Apples and oranges. My very first response to this was that this isn't planning a manned mission to Mars. It's choosing a new name. They need to pick a damn name and get it out there. The sooner the better. That's still my main reaction to this.

I disagree but it is what it is. No point in playing ping pong. At the very least, regardless of where you stand on parsing Wright's words, the next 8 months are going to be very important in the development of the new team name and how the fanbase takes it. I am not 'rooting' for us to wait, I do not 'want' us to be WFT next year.... I want to know the name and start my process of processing the change and determining my level of devotion and fandom. I think we all agree that the sooner the better so we can find some sort of closure and figure out if the next volume is one that we want to read.

To me it’s not that important.

Redskins is gone and whatever name they come up with is just window dressing.

With Ron finishing up his treatments and Dwayne’s issues now on the back burner it’s a lot more enjoyable watching some of these young guys grow on the field.

Sweat and McLaurin are becoming monsters.

Gibson is starting to show real talent as a runner.

Payne stops the run and creates pressure up the middle and seems much more of a three down player than some thought on draft day.

Kendall Fuller was a steal in free agency and is easily our best and most versatile defensive back.

Some mistakes are showing up too.

Landon Collins was way overpaid as a box safety and seeing him in coverage shows Bruce and Co. convinced themselves he was more than he was as a safety.

Beyond Haskins I think we are seeing that Apke and Christian were two players the team simply missed on in Rounds 4 and 3.

Welp, that blows my argument out of the water...

This is an interesting read, and from what I can tell, they are now digging into what the team will be going forward. It KIND of makes sense, that the new executives coming in have not been 'working' on the team name from the jump because they had other things on their minds... like getting acclimated with the business and the franchise, and managing it during a season.

That said, I don't like waiting til after 2021 as this implies. Boone , you were right, I read into it incorrectly. I will say, before you all reply to this thread with anger and frustration, I suggest you read this... it's actually a decent read.

The guy loves to talk - I’ll give him that. I don’t think his rationale for why you can’t identify the name without having a marketing package, logo finalized, entire branding campaign makes any sense at all. His long-winded response to ‘It doesnt take 2 years to pick a new name’ is ‘yes it does’ :). That’s only the case because this is not about what fans want (if it were , they’d be expediting the hell out of this instead of doubling in the face of a lot of fan anger). In other words, they want the fans input, unless it runs counter to what all those smart people want to do. The fans just gave loud input. 2 seasons with this lame moniker is far too long. And if you were going to saddle us with this moniker for 2 years, maybe you should’ve taken a little more time picking one that didn’t make us a laughing stock.

I really don’t get it. You could easily announce the name in the off-season and make it clear that you’d be using the next year to finalize the logo,uniforms, etc... Then you could actually invite fan feedback and incorporate it, instead of putting up a token pointless ‘what do you want the new name to be’ where fans are understandably going to be all over the map.

There’s no point in being angry about any of this. They are going to do what they want here and don’t care what fans think, despite lengthy corporate-speak platitudes to the contrary.

And I have nothing against Wright btw - at least on his mind he’s trying to communicate with fans. But I think he needs to understand we have seen it all, and wr are beyond skeptical and not easily mansplained about why things are done the way they are in Ashburn. Every time I get emails trying to get me to buy ‘Washington Football Team’ swag, I’m reminded of what is important to these folks (still).

whatever you pick has to be as popular as Redskins and that is damn near impossible. the money they stand to lose, the fans they stand to lose...its all just such a huge load on their shoulders.

no matter what, I highly doubt I buy anything. I was telling ST today that the W looks like Wonder Woman and not Washington. I am not a fan of it at all. That alone keeps me from buying anything. I can't even imagine what my feelings will be if its RedWolves or Redtails

I have wondered if the long waiting period isn't more about executives worrying about not getting it right and losing their job over it? Thing is - there IS no 'getting it right'. Best they can hope for is that the majority of fans can live with it and don't hate it.

I have wondered if the long waiting period isn't more about executives worrying about not getting it right and losing their job over it? Thing is - there IS no 'getting it right'. Best they can hope for is that the majority of fans can live with it and don't hate it.
No truer words have ever been spoken.
They should put that "W" on the helmet....that's what most opponents see whenever the Football Team appears on their schedule anyway.

You know, reading the board and the lament that there's not alot of enthusiasm even after a win...well that's with good reason.
How many times have fans watched this club win a game only to show up flat and lose the next week? Want folks to get excited? String some wins together.
I just don't believe there's enough talent here for them to do that...especially on offense.

Until all that changes,I'll keep looking at them as if they are Lucy...holding the ball,trying to entice us to kick it and I'm still sore after the last 20 years of being Charlie Brown. .....not falling for that old trick this time.....

this team was not established in 1932.

I would stick with this name for the rest of eternity. it is as ridiculous as the owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.