• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

'WFT' for another season? WTF!!!

My gut tells me it’s gonna be ‘Warriors’

it’ll probably be something stupid like the Warlocks, or Bravehearts

Corny me likes braveheart. A bunch of fat guys like me shirtless with body paint slamming swords against shields.. granted it's a fact that those wont be allowed in the stadium but....

Last edited:
The longer they screw around with this, the longer it will take fans to get used to the change, the longer fans bleed away. Does this team ever do anything right?

The longer they screw around with this, the longer it will take fans to get used to the change, the longer fans bleed away. Does this team ever do anything right?

I disagree. I'm glad they didnt rush out some half ass logo with a team name... it would have felt like their priority was to get to market. Take the time, design the logo to work with the team and do it right.

Rushing it would've been announcing some lame new name upon retirement of 'Redskins'. Most fans are with Henry ST - the 'logo' and 'marketing' can take however long they take but more than a year is plenty of time to decide on a name. Chances are, they already know what the new name is. The sooner they let fans know what it will be, and respectfully allow them to adjust to it, the better.

Rushing it would've been announcing some lame new name upon retirement of 'Redskins'. Most fans are with Henry ST - the 'logo' and 'marketing' can take however long they take but more than a year is plenty of time to decide on a name. Chances are, they already know what the new name is. The sooner they let fans know what it will be, and respectfully allow them to adjust to it, the better.

They probably already have decided on a name.... but what good does announcing it now without being able to put it into effect be? 1 - 5? You drop it now and it's viewed as a ploy to drum up excitement and sell jerseys. It's a lose - lose. No matter what this team does there will be criticism. It's been that way for a long time.

There is also a factor that they are working out patent and copyright red tape. If they drop a name before that's sorted, what happens? They are forced to pay fines and penalties because once they drop the name, going back would be an even bigger fumble.. Wright came out and all but said that the name had been decided upon but there were other factors in play. It makes no sense at all to release the new name in the middle of the season. Read what Wright said.....

The temporary rebrand of the 'Washington Football Team' could last longer than just this season, according to team president Jason Wright.T

"Next year is fast," Wright said on the possibility of having a new team moniker by the beginning of the 2021 NFL campaign.

"There's a pretty good chance we will be the Washington Football Team next season."

He said there's a pretty good chance we will be the same name next season. He DID NOT say that the name would not be finalized and released.

There will be no less 'resistance' to a new name 2 years from now than if they announced it tomorrow. You can't 'prep' your way past that. The 'delay' is about merchandising and a slick corporate roll out Derek. I doubt seriously it has a damn thing to do with anything else. And I'm not necessarily slobbering all over Jason Wright as the next great thing in NFL management either. He makes us spend another season with a non-name and it better give me a hard-on the first time I hear it. He's a little too 'slick' for my taste and I'm already tired of the corporate platitudes he puts out there on social media. Shut up and show me things have change (as my friend Henry might say).

A year +, when you are a multi-billion dollar entity is enough to accomplish anything. I'm tired of waiting. And I'll bet 90% of fans would agree with me, sorry :)

There will be no less 'resistance' to a new name 2 years from now than if they announced it tomorrow. You can't 'prep' your way past that. The 'delay' is about merchandising and a slick corporate roll out Derek. I doubt seriously it has a damn thing to do with anything else.

A year +, when you are a multi-billion dollar entity is enough to accomplish anything. I'm tired of waiting. And I'll bet 90% of fans would agree with me, sorry :)

Lol of course it's about merch and a slick roll out. The team is a business. Dumping the new name in the midst of the year we are having would be widely viewed as a cop out and its unnecessary. Wait til the offseason, announce the name, take next season to rebrand, update the stadium and training facility, and start a new era in 2022.

Who said anything about this year? I think he's talking about not even announcing it next season. We would literally go through an entire additional season as the WTF team. There's no reason they can't let the fan base know, prior to next year, what the fucking team name is going to be going forward. They can spend all the time they want coming up with logos and branding. But keeping this fanbase spinning another season is unacceptable.

And again - I'm in the overwhelming majority with that opinion based on what I'm seeing.

Who said anything about this year? I think he's talking about not even announcing it next season. We would literally go through an entire additional season as the WTF team. There's no reason they can't let the fan base know, prior to next year, what the fucking team name is going to be going forward. They can spend all the time they want coming up with logos and branding. But keeping this fanbase spinning another season is unacceptable.

And again - I'm in the overwhelming majority with that opinion based on what I'm seeing.

Brother, read my earlier post where I quoted Wright

He did not say that the ANNOUNCEMENT of the name would be held off another year, he said the team could remain WTF for another season. It's very likely that they announce the new name and continue working on the process this coming offseason while remaining WFT for another year while they get the details worked out.

and i was referencing... "There will be no less 'resistance' to a new name 2 years from now than if they announced it tomorrow" when i said why drop it now.

I've read everything out there on what Wright said. He said fans should 'be prepared' for the WFT to remain the name for another season. I'm not sure how you get from his statements to concluding they will 'announce' a new name in the offseason. That's not at all what I've heard him say. And again, no one has suggesting announcing it now (other than you :)). But waiting another full season = ridiculous.

Honestly - whatever most annoys this fanbase is likely the direction they'll take. It's what they do.

I've read everything out there on what Wright said. He said fans should 'be prepared' for the WFT to remain the name for another season. I'm not sure how you get from his statements to concluding they will 'announce' a new name in the offseason. That's not at all what I've heard him say. And again, no one has suggesting announcing it now (other than you :)). But waiting another full season = ridiculous.

Honestly - whatever most annoys this fanbase is likely the direction they'll take. It's what they do.

You mean like trading away the only legacy player on the team for a conditional 4th ;)

'be prepared' for the WFT to remain the name for another season does not mean 'be prepared to not know the new name for another season'... just sayin.

You mean like trading away the only legacy player on the team for a conditional 4th ;)

'be prepared' for the WFT to remain the name for another season does not mean 'be prepared to not know the new name for another season'... just sayin.

If they announce the name in the off-season then I have zero beef, but I still don’t get how you come to that conclusion from his comments. I think given how badly they got blasted after his comments, they may decide to accelerate the timeline. This isn’t world hunger, it’s just annoying. But like I said, that’s my base state with this team :)

This was greeted ny me with a 'Meh!"

I was expecting this to be honest. Wasn't there an interview months ago with some Trademarking/Rebranding expert that said he would be REALLY surprised if the name changed before the 2020 season (this was when everyone was expecting a fast name to be announced). I'm sure he said at the time that the process of rebranding (ensuring all the trademarks etc are clear on a global basis) took between a year and 18 months. So honestly I wasn't expecting a change until this off season at the earliest, and was prepared for a two year stint as WFT.

I'm actually in the camp of fans who quite like the WFT moniker. I like the look, I like the W logo. I like that it's unique. I've always thought it has a very no-nonsense/militaristic look to it.

What I hate is the fact that the mainstream media, who've always had a bee in their bonnet about the Redskins name, can't just let it lie. Okay, so they got their way, the name was consigned to history. But do they REALLy have to keep calling us 'TEAM' or 'FOOTBALL TEAM'? How hard is it to just refer to us as WASHINGTON!!??

I have a bug bear with GamePass too because it STILL, 6 weeks in, hasn't managed to incorporate our - albeit temporary - logo.

And I REALLY want one of those Washington Football Team caps (not those horrendous Tie-dye things!) before we move on to a new name.

To be honest, the name thing is the least of my annoyances with this team at the moment. What's bugging me more is the lack of progress on the field. Our D isn't performing as advertised - despite having 2 Defensive Guru's on staff and the QB situation is muddled at best. At this point, if these developmental years go down as a 2 year WFT blip on the radar before in 2022 the Warriors/Redwolves/Senators/Redtails* (*delete as appropriate) hit the field and actually CONTEND, then I'm all in.

The WFT years will just be a forgotten footnote if that was the case. Those 2 years we'd look back on and go..."Remember those 2 weird years? When the world was fucked up with a Pandemic and Washington had no name?"

I get that it’s not even close to the biggest issue with this franchise. But to be fair, the reason they are using ‘Football Team’ is because it’s not a name - it’s the lack of a name. What are we supposed to refer to our players as ‘WFTers’?

Its the stupidest thing ever imho. But there does appear to be a small % of fans that like it. I’ll never get that but everyone sees it uniquely.

This is a nickname and a logo folks.

We are not talking about renaming the Empire State Building or Golden Gate Bridge.

The decision that affected long time fans the most was already taken - to replace Redskins.

Whatever Snyder comes up with now is simply window dressing to cover up the fact he was ‘forced’ to change the name not because of his own convictions about the nickname but because Fred Smith has a bigger stick and showed it to Danny 😱

Snyder never had the money to buy this team and without Zuckerman he would never have gotten the financing on his own.

The fact 20 years later he was still carrying Smith and others as partners just goes to show that every other venture Snyder has invested in to diversify has been a failure.

There is no reason to call this team the WFT for two years. None.

The longer they wait, the more entrenched the WFT name becomes, the less liked the second change will be.

I get giving the team a generic name this year. Dragging things out beyond that is dumb, and utterly unnecessary. Why would they even suggest something like that?

This team’s fans are desperate for some tradition ... ANY tradition to cling to. The team needs to figure this out post-haste and announce a name as soon as is practical.

There is just no winning... at times I wonder if this team can ever do anything 'correctly'

Let me ask you about this fanbase and the 'tradition' they are so starved for. Would Mark Rypien have been embraced after 1990? Doug Williams prior to the SB? Sean Taylor after his ATV incident? Dexter Manley... John Riggins... Would they have been embraced by 'this' fanbase? Hell... Joe Gibbs was 0-5 in his first season... would he be supported and believed in if all things were equal?

Tradition is built... not copyrighted... and it doesn't just happen. No name chosen can 'create' tradition...

The team is bleeding out. Keeping the name in limbo makes it worse. That simple.

To be fair, the team has been bleeding out, for 30 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.