• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins owner Snyder unhappy with McNabb fiasco

Sarge

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescr...nyder-unhappy-with-McNabb-fiasco/Default.aspx

Jay Glazer of FOXSports reports that Dan Snyder is not happy as he was out of the country when it was decided that QB Donovan McNabb would be benched. After an efficient game against Tampa Bay, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said that he was upset with McNabb's performance and that it was the last snap that McNabb would take this season. Shanahan pushed and eventually got the benching to occur. Glazer reports that Snyder may make major coaching changes however as he is not happy with the way this situation was handled.

He shouldn't be happy. They put a lot of stock in McNabb and it hasn't worked out. I would be shocked if he made a coaching change. All we have heard is how he wants the organization to be more stable. He's going to have to stick with that. Plus, the move worked out today. Will it in the future? Who knows. But for now it worked out.

It might be true. But PFT would make it up even if it weren't :) I don't disagree with Kel, but on the other hand, you either vow to stay out of the coaching decisions and swallow hard with this kind of turmoil, or you inject yourself into the conversation. I'm guessing Snyder will give Shanahan a 3 year run and if things aren't moving in the right direction all bets are off.

I am still not sure there isn't something to this report. But having said that, the teams performance today, albeit in a losing effort, should be enough to quiet Snyder's desire to can Shanny. Assuming we are competitive the rest of the way, I think Snyder will cool it.

I saw at least 5 or 6 throws that Grossman made today that McNabb has not made all season. Snyder should keep his mouth shut and his ears open.

I saw at least 5 or 6 throws that Grossman made today that McNabb has not made all season. Snyder should keep his mouth shut and his ears open.

This was reported before todays game. Sarge just posted it late.

Even after today's result, Danny has every right to be mad. Mike and Bruce gave up two picks for McNabb and then went ahead and signed him to a long-term contract, essentially giving him an additional $3.5 million THIS year, prior to benching him.

Heck, I'd be mad too. That's gross mismanagement of the most important position on the team.

I doubt Danny will respond publicly though, although he might personally apologize to Donovan in private. I suspect he'll play the good soldier and leave it to Bruce and Mike to handle.

well, the team has a number of choices. Snyder can fire Shahnahan for the McNabb trade which cost us draft picks but no more than half a dozen deals Snyder himself blew with Cerrato over the past 10 years :laugh:

Snyder in Scenario #2 can keep his mouth shut and ignore the details and just hold Shanahan accountable for improving things going forward.

Or Snyder can be a jock sniffer and contact McNabb in a back-channel and apologize and commiserate with him over every perceived slight and offense.

Did Shanahan make a mistake? Of course.

NOW we are learning the skinny, that McNabb's work ethic was in fact questionable and that he was stubbornly resistant to change and coaching in Philadelphia as well.

The Eagles saw last season that the mobility and improvisation which made McNabb special was eroding due to age and injury and he would not adapt into being an effective pocket passer because he lacked the mechanics and thus the accuracy to make plays based on timing and precision.

I doubt Danny ignores the details with Shanny giving away an additional $3.5 million and he just might secretly apologize to Donovan but he certainly won't fire him. He WILL keep his mouth shut and hold Shanahan accountable going forward, as well he should. I see this pretty much blowing over.

and we saw several throws he shouldn't have made!!!

putting aside whether Grossman was better or not.....and DM hasn't played all that well....agree Snyder should stay out of it. he must realize we're at the front end of a rebuilding process. and that we are in this situation mostly because of decisions he has made over the years.

I think what is lurking behind all of this...if true (whihc I don't think is the case)....is a strong league reaction to how Shanahan handled the demotion. If DM is to be believed, he wasn't even told in a private, man to man fashion. the Skins were absolutely fried in the media today for how this move was conducted. this whole season has had, once again, too much drama. we need it to end and get back to the roster restructuring started last post-season.

Total BS. The price for McNabb would have been fine if he'd have played half decently. No GM or coach is going to bat 100%. This just seems more frustrating to many because the team has had so many more misses than hits. They've realized it isn't working out and did what needed to be done instead of staying a losing path with a sucky QB, despite the cost. That's how it should be.

Thats a great point Steven, about them realising it wasnt working and making the right change, I would feel better if they did that with all of their bad decisions.

I still think wasting a 2 and a 3 on a guy who is a placeholder at best was a huge mistake even if he had played better than he has. he isnt too far from his career average mark for qb rating as it is.

If Mcnabb is gone after this year, and you have to believe he will be, there's no question giving up picks for him was a major mistake.

I guess we are left being thankful we only gave up a minimum of picks for him, and that the damage isn't worse than it could have been. That's what it means to be a Redskins fan.

The picks we gave up might just boil down to a second rounder if we can get a 4th round pick for him in trade. A 2nd round pick for one season is still painful, considering we could have had Clausen or McCoy instead, but it's not as painful as a 2nd and 4th.

Yes, it cost an additional $3.5 mil to get that 4th rounder but that number is tiny compared to what we wasted on Haynesworth.

At least I'm TRYING to stay optimistic. ;)

If Mcnabb is gone after this year, and you have to believe he will be, there's no question giving up picks for him was a major mistake.

I guess we are left being thankful we only gave up a minimum of picks for him, and that the damage isn't worse than it could have been. That's what it means to be a Redskins fan.

I hate you so much for that last comment, its more irritating because you are right. oh well at least this turd sandwhich was smaller than some of the others lol

And it tastes, oh so good, going down - doesn't it???

Color me a chump. Because when I heard about the Mcnabb signing, shocked as I was, and as 'unenthusiastic' as I felt about the move deep down, I convinced myself he'd be a solid if not spectacular upgrade at QB for us for years.

Should have known that Reid would never give away a guy he considered a serious threat within the division. And Reid is a smart guy. More importantly, the Redskins should have known it.

OK you are a chump.

I am a chump too, because I made a huge thread detailing why Mcnabb was a bad fit with what Shanny likes to do and then after the Houston game I was fooled into thinking Mcnabb might actually be an upgrade too lol.

I also was on the Shanny bandwagon right up until his first announcement that we would run the 3-4. No joke I actually defended his signing because the offence was so bad and he has a track record of solid to great ones. I was worried about his predilection towards finding a scapegoat on every team but I also knew we needed a disciplinarian type.

I wont be fully onside with Shanny until he either admits he was wrong about the 3-4 or actually finds some decent players to run it. Our players are very good 4-3 players but brutal at the 3-4. I dont understand how he can not see that this is killing us.

And it tastes, oh so good, going down - doesn't it???

Color me a chump. Because when I heard about the Mcnabb signing, shocked as I was, and as 'unenthusiastic' as I felt about the move deep down, I convinced myself he'd be a solid if not spectacular upgrade at QB for us for years.

Should have known that Reid would never give away a guy he considered a serious threat within the division. And Reid is a smart guy. More importantly, the Redskins should have known it.
Ditto. I eventually talked myself into thinking he'd be a decent stopgap option until we'd built a better team around him for a QB of the future to take over.

However I agree with the prior comment that at the very least we've quickly recognized the mistake and are moving on. This looks to be a good draft year for QBs. Grossman will be a good enough placeholder for whoever we draft....hopefully Ponder.

The only thing I can really quibble about is how McNabb was told, assuming it really did go down that way. No matter how P.O.'d you might be at a player, it's just bad form to blindside anyone like that-probowler, toiletbowler, anyone.

Agree Yusuf. And I'll also say, throughout all of the drama of this season, Mcnabb has been the epitome of a class act. He strode out there as a team captain today, with no sign of attitude or animosity, hung near the coaches on the sidelines, and ignored the media hoopla surrounding his benching as far as I could tell.

That's pretty impressive in today's NFL. He deserves credit for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.