• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins owner Snyder unhappy with McNabb fiasco

campbell didnt show anything. he was always quiet and just took it. mcnabb speaks up but doesnt do it out of reaction.

Im sorry Mike I gotta disagree with that, I was no Campbell fan but the man always showed a lot of professionalism. He was not a vocal leader but there were several times he could have gone off after being treated poorly or bashed in the press and he always comported himself with dignity. It really is too bad that he never panned out on the field. Mcnabb isnt always professional either, do you remember us spanking the fecals and then after both losses he beaked off about how the better team lost?

exactly we STILL havent heard anything bad about the skins from Campbell, to me when a guy has nothing to lose by mouthing off, and HE STILL DOESNT, thats class and professionalism, Mcnabb was whining about how bad the eagles treated him the day after they traded him. and they went out of their way, even traded him to the team of his choice WITHIN THE DIVISION. (which as it turns out worked out well for them lol)

Jason Campbell showed professionalism too, he just didn't cut it. Is it too much to ask for a QB that can be good on the field as well as off?

why the preoccupation with controlling an individual's legal behaviors?

why the preoccupation with controlling an individual's legal behaviors?

Ummmm...fansince there's a strong possibility that I've misunderstood your question and if I have please let me know. If you're asking what I'm inferring that you're asking, which is why the demeanor of a player off-field versus on field performance seems so important I think it goes with the commonly held idea that professional athletes, partly as a function of their visibility and popularity, have a responsibility to display what are considered "positive character components" in addition to excelling in on-field performance and they are awarded, in the opinions of the fans and other observers props or kudos for doing so and criticism for failing to do so. This is more noticeable in situations such as the McNabb and Campbell cases mentioned here, when it might be rightfully thought that they have ample justification to display a negative response but do not do so.

Another way of expressing this highly thought of behavior is referred to as "taking the high road."

That is, in my opinion, why the seeming preoccupation with off-field behavior. This, of course, is dependent on if I understood your question correctly or I got it wrong and you meant something else entirely. :)

Ummmm...fansince there's a strong possibility that I've misunderstood your question and if I have please let me know. If you're asking what I'm inferring that you're asking, which is why the demeanor of a player off-field versus on field performance seems so important I think it goes with the commonly held idea that professional athletes, partly as a function of their visibility and popularity, have a responsibility to display what are considered "positive character components" in addition to excelling in on-field performance and they are awarded, in the opinions of the fans and other observers props or kudos for doing so and criticism for failing to do so. This is more noticeable in situations such as the McNabb and Campbell cases mentioned here, when it might be rightfully thought that they have ample justification to display a negative response but do not do so.

Another way of expressing this highly thought of behavior is referred to as "taking the high road."

That is, in my opinion, why the seeming preoccupation with off-field behavior. This, of course, is dependent on if I understood your question correctly or I got it wrong and you meant something else entirely. :)

precisely my point. there's a major difference between some nimrod on the Gints playing with firearms in public or an equally shallow pinhead destroying the locker room ala TO/Iggles...and what Portis does. the problem is where do you draw the line? It's their time. It's their right. You can't prove how "disruptive" this sort of radio banter really is....especially on a team that is losing with amazing consistency regardless of what changes are made and what statements are/aren't made.

apologies in advance Serv....but in my mind I've never liked these pressure tactics. they're dangerous and lay a foundation for far worse. it's basically an effort to shut someone up because the listener does not want to hear the message...all under some unproven ruse about locker room impacts.

there's no standard for this sort of impulse to behavior control/modification. and that is dangerous.

So you don't think teams should put morals clauses in their contracts as they currently do to protect their interests?

by the same token China, do you think that players should not be allowed to say what they really think?
They should be allowed to shove hot dill pickles up their ass, but that doesn't mean they should. And, if they do, nobody wants to hear about it.

More times than not, the only thing pro athletes do when they open their mouth, is further the notion that most are just dumb jocks.

And, if they do, nobody wants to hear about it.

Ax...you know that's not the case. Fans want to hear what the players have to say - that is why NFL Today, NFL radio, COMCAST, etc., all interview players. If someone like Plex goes off and fires a pistol...fans want to know what his teammates think. On this very board, I've read posts from fans who used player statements against Haynesworth because these statements conformed to their personal take on the situation.

What some really mean is that they don't want players making what they believe to be are critical comments to the media. what the heck....many don't even want players making positive statements that can be used as "bulletin board" material. there's no standard here. it's not really a meaningful discussion.

I'll skip the generalization about IQ - that isn't worthy of you.

by the same token China, do you think that players should not be allowed to say what they really think?

Of course they can say whatever they want. They should just be prepared, and not surprised, by the consequences of their actions and reaction of their coaches, teammates and the fans.

Ax...you know that's not the case. Fans want to hear what the players have to say - that is why NFL Today, NFL radio, COMCAST, etc., all interview players.
Of course the media does. They created the "want" in people. They got everyone hooked on meaningless drivel, and created the market for it. I'm old enough to remember a time when the kinds of stuff that makes the headlines today, was almost never reported, although it happened just as much back then. So, I'll argue, that we, "think we need & deserve to know", which feeds the players ego that, "the fans want to hear my opinion". In reality, their opinions about ANYTHING are as useful as tits on a bull.

If someone like Plex goes off and fires a pistol...fans want to know what his teammates think.
Because too many people need to see if someone agrees with THEM, or not. Again, useless. But people have been programed to believe it matters.

On this very board, I've read posts from fans who used player statements against Haynesworth because these statements conformed to their personal take on the situation.
Simple debate tactic used by everyone.

What some really mean is that they don't want players making what they believe to be are critical comments to the media. what the heck....many don't even want players making positive statements that can be used as "bulletin board" material. there's no standard here. it's not really a meaningful discussion.
Agreed.

I'll skip the generalization about IQ - that isn't worthy of you.
Unfortunately, the generalization is made to seem accurate, since the smart ones usually keep their mouths shut, and just play. Or, they've learned how to talk without saying anything.

Of course the media does. They created the "want" in people. They got everyone hooked on meaningless drivel, and created the market for it. I'm old enough to remember a time when the kinds of stuff that makes the headlines today, was almost never reported, although it happened just as much back then. So, I'll argue, that we, "think we need & deserve to know", which feeds the players ego that, "the fans want to hear my opinion". In reality, their opinions about ANYTHING are as useful as tits on a bull.

Because too many people need to see if someone agrees with THEM, or not. Again, useless. But people have been programed to believe it matters.

Simple debate tactic used by everyone.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the generalization is made to seem accurate, since the smart ones usually keep their mouths shut, and just play. Or, they've learned how to talk without saying anything.

nutshelling it...your view is that the fans have no right to know what is going on inside players heads vis football. that the information made available is in any case useless. that what we receive today is fabricated drama/reporting from the media in support of their own business objectives. that's a view a reasonable person can adopt. I happen to disagree. but reasonable people can disagree....:)......

Of course they can say whatever they want. They should just be prepared, and not surprised, by the consequences of their actions and reaction of their coaches, teammates and the fans.

Absolutely agree....in all contexts.

So you don't think teams should put morals clauses in their contracts as they currently do to protect their interests?

geez....that's a weird one in a culture that is repealing DADT. what morals/behaviors are left to enforce? careful with that one.

The reason it wasnt as reported back in the day was we simply didnt have the access to players that we do now, no interweb, no up to the minute updates. We know more now because we have access not because our tastes have changed. can you imagine the stories we would have now had we had this access with guys like Riggins? Paul hornung? guys who write blogs now as fans write better stories than the cliche ridden stuff from the 30's and 40's. because they more access to information.

The truth is that we dont wnat our athletes to have opinions unless they coincide with our own, and when an athlete says anything that doesnt match up he is "stupid". We want them to be perfect and we dont like when they arent.

I was once told that my comments about another team who were caught on film chop blocking me 3 times (one guy hitting me high while his teammate dove at my knees from behind) were stupid and inflammatory and that it was bulletin board material by a few teammates. my exact words in the paper were " We are going to beat them by double digits and every single time that someone dirties me I will respond in kind but not necessarily in measure." the week of the game they did 3 stories in the paper about it lol keep in mind this was during a season when I was an academic all canadian (in uni here we actually go to school). we ended up winning 55-10 and I drew 6 unnecessary roughness penalties and had 2 olinemen tossed from the game I also got 2 taunting penalties of my own lol. I knew by putting a target on myself I was also going to have the refs watching me very carefully. lol who was the stupid one tho?

I am writing a book about stuff like that, not just stories about me but about teammates and opponents, I think sometimes the average person doesnt understand the way things go on the field and they assume a lot.

so you believe in accountability then? I happen to completely agree. I also think that everyone should be held to this standard.

nutshelling it...your view is that the fans have no right to know what is going on inside players heads vis football.

No, I'm saying what's inside a players head, pertaining to football, or anything else, is unimportant to our lives. I'm more concerned with what's in the heads of my family and friends.

that the information made available is in any case useless.
Yes, because it make zero difference in my life, and, IMO, if it matters much to any fan, then they may be missing something, in life.

that what we receive today is fabricated drama/reporting from the media in support of their own business objectives.
Not always fabricated, but definitely presented as something that SHOULD matter to us, when it mostly does not. It is 24/7 overkill. We needed none of it to win 3 Super Bowls. We don't need it now. But we're all crackheads for it, so we THINK we do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.