• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

QB or not QB

Man, last year everyone was all about Howell and if you questioned it you got called out.

Now if you try to defend him you get it.

I want Howell back in 2024. But I don’t want to go to off-season activities and see ONLY him there along with a Josh Dobbs type backup.

This team needs competition all over the roster and after 2023 no firm decision can be made on Howell. I am not prepared to give him the keys to the Ferrari.

If we take Maye or whomever at #2 or trade down for a Penix or McCarthy I still think having TWO younger guys in there to compete is the best situation.

Bill Walsh went out and acquired Steve Young when Joe Montana was coming off a Super Bowl win in SF.

His explanation was you can never have too much talent at the most important position on the field.

We are no longer a nation of patient people.

Having said that, Washington fans have waited a long time. A very long time.

I want Howell back in 2024. But I don’t want to go to off-season activities and see ONLY him there along with a Josh Dobbs type backup.

This team needs competition all over the roster and after 2023 no firm decision can be made on Howell. I am not prepared to give him the keys to the Ferrari.
I think this is where I am.

And probably why I am a fan of trading down.

More picks = more talent.

Merrill did an interview about Williams and said he sees nothing special in him. Talent wise he's ok, but not first round material.

Man, last year everyone was all about Howell and if you questioned it you got called out.

Now if you try to defend him you get it.
For what is worth, I still believe in Howell. I just am realistic/pragmatic to realize that with number two overall pick they are very likely to swing for the fences. In the best case scenario, Howell rocks it and becomes the man and we trade the number 2 for a vast horde of treasure. ... or vice versa though it seems more likely that #2 will have more trade value than Howell if #2 turns out great.

For what is worth, I still believe in Howell. I just am realistic/pragmatic to realize that with number two overall pick they are very likely to swing for the fences. In the best case scenario, Howell rocks it and becomes the man and we trade the number 2 for a vast horde of treasure. ... or vice versa though it seems more likely that #2 will have more trade value than Howell if #2 turns out great.
This is pretty much where I am as well. I'd love for Howell to be the man. It's the best case scenario for this team as they can trade out to get a bunch of picks and the QB situation is taken care of. But with the way Howell played down the stretch and the fact that they have the #2 pick, it makes it very likely they will take a QB. And if this front office and coaching staff believes that the QB available to them at 2 is going to be the franchise QB, then they will have to take him.

We all know the problem. Howell has NOT shown he is that guy - not yet. He raised a ton of doubt down the stretch last season, whether it was 'his fault' or Eric Bienemy's and the talent around him. Nobody wanted or wants him to be the guy more than me. But if we trade out of that #2 pick and another team selects a QB who turns out to be 'that guy', it's going to get a whole bunch of folks fired and it'll take us all another 10 years to get over the trauma.

Don't overthink it. We don't know if Howell can ever be that guy. You have to swing. My opinion. Again :)

Last edited:
One thought towards this is what do any of the 3 QBs at the top bring that Howell has not show flashes of? Is it winning the big game? Is it throwing a deep ball? Is it scrambling around and making something happen? Is it his defensive recogonition? What talent does he have or phyiscal attribute that brings a better chance for success? ( I would love a 6'5" QB) All of these and so much more have to be the answer to spend it on him at that pick. I would argue you don't pick him because your there. I argue you pick him because he answers yes to more of those questions from raw talent and the rest can be taught. We need a QB competition and would love for it to be with 2 young guys. IF one of them hits that mark, send the card up quickly.

Whatever this offensive coaching staff comes up with the blueprint for their ideal QB based on what is available will be a much debated decision. I am all for the guys that are willing to put their money where their mouth is and say....give me him and we'll win. I like being in this spot. We have options.

I do not think at this time with what I have seen, any of these QBs sink us if we don't pick them. It would be very tough to not pick Williams for the obvious reasons. However, I do not think he is worth trading up for with the roster construction it appears we need to complete at this time. Of course, FA can change everything before the draft.

Now, if I can get the coaches to freaking tell me what they think....I would be happier.

The time of greatest doubt for me with Howell was the games against the New York Giants. Here was a team on its #3 quarterback that had been called up from the practice squad and yet Howell (and EB) could not elevate and overcome a middling Giants defense to score enough points to win.

Let me say a few things - did you all see the lates Caleb Williams stuff. caleb-williams-wears-dress-for-gq.97657 This guy has big time flop written all over him. He wont be able to mentally handle the nfl . My god can you imagine the ribbing he is going to get by defensive players when he gets sacked....

Well, whatever happens in April the ONE move I don't want to see Washington make is to trade up one spot with the Bears and give up a ransom's worth of compensation for Caleb Williams.

The best teams over time like the Ravens, Steelers and Chiefs tend to stay at their draft position and take the best player.

They don't give up years of picks for one player.

Let me say a few things - did you all see the lates Caleb Williams stuff. caleb-williams-wears-dress-for-gq.97657 This guy has big time flop written all over him. He wont be able to mentally handle the nfl . My god can you imagine the ribbing he is going to get by defensive players when he gets sacked....
Meh. As long as he doesn't wear a dress on the football field I don't really care about that stuff. After all, we loved Portis playing dress up. We loved Riggins playing dress up. We loved the Hoggettes for decades after there were no Hogs.

To me, he’s trying to do a Roman tunic kind of a thing, but it really doesn’t matter. Young folks these days grew up in a different era than we did. Gender lines are blurred, fashion is a big deal for athletes, they just don’t have a lot of the ‘lines’ or the same preconceived mores we did.

I think you have to step back and keep it in perspective. Times change. The world will go on and old ****s like some of us here either adjust or turn into dinosaurs.

I was always partial to the Brontosaurus btw :)

That said, there are a lot of symptoms of HYPER-DIVA risk when it comes to Caleb Williams and if we examine this from a "Look at me! Look at me!" perspective maybe it slides into something to be paid attention too. Ultimately, having been a playwright in New York has raised my tolerance when it comes to crossdressing. Heck, watching Bugs Bunny, Gilligan's Island, and Abbott and Costello immunized me, too.

I wish more would listen to that Galdi episode I posted a week or so ago with a media guy who covered USC. Per that guy the diva stuff is all way overblown, said Williams is well-respected by teammates and coaches and has a solid work ethic. I think we are buying into a lot of the negative media hype that is not completely accurate. And I say that as someone who doesn’t want us to trade up for him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.