• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Music Recommendation Thread

For anyone who might have missed it...The History of the Eagles on CNN was really great. I consider them to be one of the structural pieces of my musical foundation.

For anyone who might have missed it...The History of the Eagles on CNN was really great. I consider them to be one of the structural pieces of my musical foundation.

The Showtime special on the Eagles is one of the best musical documentaries I ever saw.

The Showtime special on the Eagles is one of the best musical documentaries I ever saw.

I think it's the same one. It was recently added to Netflix, too.

Great view for those of a certain age. :)

Zeppelin is the greatest band ever.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Zep is right up there and can't really disagree but I've always had trouble passing out best-of or greatest-of trophies, just too many good ones out there for me to classify.

Yeah, Zep is right up there and can't really disagree but I've always had trouble passing out best-of or greatest-of trophies, just too many good ones out there for me to classify.

I am a huge Zeppelin fan and they used to be my "greatest band" but I have steered toward the Allman Brothers Band. When I was young it was Tears for Fears. Haha!

Anyway, her'e the best Zeppelin song ever:

It's always tough to measure these things. It's all based on criteria.

Best selling artist of all time? It's the Beatles (not my favorite) and second place isn't even that close.

Chris Rock's criteria is probably the most universally true. Whatever music you were listening to during that time period when you first began having sex is the greatest music ever. This is probably true for 95% of the population. Whatever you were listening to during high school will always be your favorite.

As for my own personal favorite, I've come to the realization that it isn't a band, but rather an instrument that sets most individual songs apart for me. That's saxophone, or horns.

So I was 4 bottles of wine in when I typed that. Having a debate over Zeppelin and Floyd.

I saw the Allan Brothers in concert, probably the most impressive musical performance I've ever seen. Really incredible.

So I was 4 bottles of wine in when I typed that. Having a debate over Zeppelin and Floyd.

I saw the Allan Brothers in concert, probably the most impressive musical performance I've ever seen. Really incredible.

I was never able to get into any of those bands. I know I'm in the minority there.

I did like some Robert Plant solo stuff though.

Well I don't see any wrong answers here but whenever I hear Tull some of those 'memories' come along.

Will admit tho that the Aqualung lyric is a little more 'disturbing' than it used to be but can't deny the music at all.

Going back to first 'encounters' it would be mostly Doors, Aretha, Cream, Beatles, Stones etc.

Probably the best concert attended was CSN&Y during the '70s at the Cap Center, they actually had fun and all of us picked up on it.

How about favorite band that you then saw in concert and it was a huge letdown?

Or the opposite? Band you really didn't like that much, and then they put on an incredible show and you were shocked.

Tough call, most of the ones I attended were work related so didn't have much chance to just sit back and enjoy.

Liked Aerosmith (not particularly a favorite) but got gassed out by the smoke machine, had to go backstage to get out of it. Poor production, good music. Alice Coopers shows were too over the top for my taste but still liked his music.

Springsteen, the only thing I knew about him was from one of my bartenders who liked to cue his stuff up on the system after hours, we finally took a nite for a live looksee and was impressed.

Most fun prior to 'working' was a Grand Funk Railroad concert at Cole Field House UMD, we all were standing on our chairs and just going nuts.

Needless to say this was end of the '60s into the 70's
Aero and Bruce were still doing small halls.

What type of work? Were you a roadie? Lighting, sound, etc?

Among many other bands, I used to be a huge fan of The Cure. I loved everything about the band.....and the girls that also loved the band.

I went and saw them in concert, and I'm still scarred to this day.

It was worse than a funeral. Everyone was dressed in all black. And the music was incredibly dark and depressing. What is it called when teenagers today want to slit their wrists? Cutting? Blading? Well that's what I wanted to do. That's the only concert in my life where I actually spent a ton on great seats and left the show after five songs. I had to walk out.

I saw Aerosmith in the late nineties, and they were still in their wasted years. That show was a disappointment, with Steven Tyler saying "We're trying" several different times during the show.

I saw them again around 2005 when they were cleaned up and they were incredible. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen. I was amazed.

The most surprising show I may have ever seen was Rod Stewart.

I wasn't a huge fan going in, but became a lifelong fan going out.

The show began with no less than 30 bagpipe players leading him to the stage. Once on the stage, he revealed a full band. A violinist and a full horn section. And his legendary energy level was true. He made me feel old just watching him running all over the stage.

I've since seen him another four or five times. His age finally became apparent when I saw him again last year. But he's still a great musician.

What type of work? Were you a roadie? Lighting, sound, etc?
No, was on the promotion end of things, lining up the venue help, working the money collection, ticket sales, the boring side for one-of events.

When the shows were on and ticket sales done I'd just mill around the venue and scope out the crowd, check in with security, hang out with some of the working guys you speak of. The wife usually got to deal with the talent when it came to pay them, lots of cash only at the time.

Most shows were little venues like the old Warner in DC
Biggest one we did was Leon and New Riders at RFK, the guys I invited up to work security had more fun than I did. They got to hang with Riders post gig and partook of Cuervo Gold and some other 'stuff'.

Primary gig for me then was nightclub stuff...... think disco ;)..... a bit hard on this old rock n' roller but it was the thing back then and had to actually earn a living.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.