Music Recommendation Thread

Happy hour starts in 5 minutes

Chris

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

For anyone who might have missed it...The History of the Eagles on CNN was really great. I consider them to be one of the structural pieces of my musical foundation.

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

For anyone who might have missed it...The History of the Eagles on CNN was really great. I consider them to be one of the structural pieces of my musical foundation.

The Showtime special on the Eagles is one of the best musical documentaries I ever saw.

Chris

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

The Showtime special on the Eagles is one of the best musical documentaries I ever saw.
I think it's the same one. It was recently added to Netflix, too.

Great view for those of a certain age. :)

TomE

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Zeppelin is the greatest band ever.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
Yeah, Zep is right up there and can't really disagree but I've always had trouble passing out best-of or greatest-of trophies, just too many good ones out there for me to classify.

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

Yeah, Zep is right up there and can't really disagree but I've always had trouble passing out best-of or greatest-of trophies, just too many good ones out there for me to classify.
I am a huge Zeppelin fan and they used to be my "greatest band" but I have steered toward the Allman Brothers Band. When I was young it was Tears for Fears. Haha!

Anyway, her'e the best Zeppelin song ever:

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

It's always tough to measure these things. It's all based on criteria.

Best selling artist of all time? It's the Beatles (not my favorite) and second place isn't even that close.

Chris Rock's criteria is probably the most universally true. Whatever music you were listening to during that time period when you first began having sex is the greatest music ever. This is probably true for 95% of the population. Whatever you were listening to during high school will always be your favorite.

As for my own personal favorite, I've come to the realization that it isn't a band, but rather an instrument that sets most individual songs apart for me. That's saxophone, or horns.

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score

James Madison

So I was 4 bottles of wine in when I typed that. Having a debate over Zeppelin and Floyd.

I saw the Allan Brothers in concert, probably the most impressive musical performance I've ever seen. Really incredible.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

So I was 4 bottles of wine in when I typed that. Having a debate over Zeppelin and Floyd.

I saw the Allan Brothers in concert, probably the most impressive musical performance I've ever seen. Really incredible.

I was never able to get into any of those bands. I know I'm in the minority there.

I did like some Robert Plant solo stuff though.

TomE

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Well I don't see any wrong answers here but whenever I hear Tull some of those 'memories' come along.

Will admit tho that the Aqualung lyric is a little more 'disturbing' than it used to be but can't deny the music at all.

Going back to first 'encounters' it would be mostly Doors, Aretha, Cream, Beatles, Stones etc.

Probably the best concert attended was CSN&Y during the '70s at the Cap Center, they actually had fun and all of us picked up on it.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

How about favorite band that you then saw in concert and it was a huge letdown?

Or the opposite? Band you really didn't like that much, and then they put on an incredible show and you were shocked.

TomE

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Tough call, most of the ones I attended were work related so didn't have much chance to just sit back and enjoy.

Liked Aerosmith (not particularly a favorite) but got gassed out by the smoke machine, had to go backstage to get out of it. Poor production, good music. Alice Coopers shows were too over the top for my taste but still liked his music.

Springsteen, the only thing I knew about him was from one of my bartenders who liked to cue his stuff up on the system after hours, we finally took a nite for a live looksee and was impressed.

Most fun prior to 'working' was a Grand Funk Railroad concert at Cole Field House UMD, we all were standing on our chairs and just going nuts.

Needless to say this was end of the '60s into the 70's
Aero and Bruce were still doing small halls.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

What type of work? Were you a roadie? Lighting, sound, etc?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

Among many other bands, I used to be a huge fan of The Cure. I loved everything about the band.....and the girls that also loved the band.

I went and saw them in concert, and I'm still scarred to this day.

It was worse than a funeral. Everyone was dressed in all black. And the music was incredibly dark and depressing. What is it called when teenagers today want to slit their wrists? Cutting? Blading? Well that's what I wanted to do. That's the only concert in my life where I actually spent a ton on great seats and left the show after five songs. I had to walk out.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

I saw Aerosmith in the late nineties, and they were still in their wasted years. That show was a disappointment, with Steven Tyler saying "We're trying" several different times during the show.

I saw them again around 2005 when they were cleaned up and they were incredible. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen. I was amazed.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

The most surprising show I may have ever seen was Rod Stewart.

I wasn't a huge fan going in, but became a lifelong fan going out.

The show began with no less than 30 bagpipe players leading him to the stage. Once on the stage, he revealed a full band. A violinist and a full horn section. And his legendary energy level was true. He made me feel old just watching him running all over the stage.

I've since seen him another four or five times. His age finally became apparent when I saw him again last year. But he's still a great musician.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0