• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

what's up with Robert?

fansince62

so, the radio chatter this morning - including the beat reporters - all covered what they think is a low simmering conflict between Robert and the Shanahans. Competitive or not, RG's actions such as dressing up during the Titan game even though everyone knew he wasn't going to play reflects a low level battle over who really leads the team. not saying I agree. just saying that a lot of people who cover the team are starting to weigh in that Robert and the Shanahans are not seeing eye to eye on some things.

this, of course, has tie-ins to last season.

is there a division here that is starting to form that wasn't there before?

No. It's the preseason. None of it matters.

Griff is a competitive guy who wants to play. The Shanahans have to take the long view of things, which does put them at odds with what Griff wants. All this goes away when he plays.

Oh god...nothing like the preseason in Washington to drum up controversy over nothing. Sigh.

I told you guys. This all started Friday morning.

Some of the criticism is legit. I think Robert's just a narcissist and doesn't know how to not draw attention to himself.

(I don't think that matters, btw)

It's going to be interested to see what happens if Cousins starts week 1. Griffin will not be happy.

Robert is a competitor and an athlete who knows better than anybody else how his body feels.

Mike is a coach who knows that expectations are higher than ever since his tenure here in Washington and knows what`s on the line.

Obviously, there will be a difference of opinion between the two. If people didn`t think there would be, they are simply fooling themselves.

Until Robert actually voices displeasure publicly (which I suspect he won`t), it`s a non-issue.

I told you guys. This all started Friday morning.

Some of the criticism is legit. I think Robert's just a narcissist and doesn't know how to not draw attention to himself.

(I don't think that matters, btw)

It's going to be interested to see what happens if Cousins starts week 1. Griffin will not be happy.

that's part of it too.

not really sure myself. reporter I heard was Jason Reid - not really an agenda driven sort. what he was hinting at was some sort of low level power struggle. I don;t buy it - but gonna pay attention.

agree very much that this will escalate if Cousins starts the season - i.e., Robert is also campaigning to make sure he is the starting QB agnst the Iggles. part of me likes this - it's what you want. part of me thinks "keep it inside the office walls between you and Shanahan".

Countertrey - I would like to agree with you that Robert knows best how he feels, but you only have to go back to the Seattle game to realize either a) He doesn't know best about his body, or b) he's not willing to behave in the best interest of the team (long term)

Shanahan should, and apparently does, have final say. I don't blame him at all if he holds Robert out to be safe, especially if he feels confident in Cousins. The beginning of the season is easy (or should be), the end will be much harder. First for games are Phily, Green Bay, Detroit Oakland. I could realistically see Shanahan saying it's just not worth it.

I'm curious how many people would be pissed at Shanahan for sitting him if Robert publically shows he's unhappy and says he's ready that have spent the last 6 months bashing Shanahan for not pulling Robert early enough.

that's part of it too.

not really sure myself. reporter I heard was Jason Reid - not really an agenda driven sort. what he was hinting at was some sort of low level power struggle. I don;t buy it - but gonna pay attention.

agree very much that this will escalate if Cousins starts the season - i.e., Robert is also campaigning to make sure he is the starting QB agnst the Iggles. part of me likes this - it's what you want. part of me thinks "keep it inside the office walls between you and Shanahan".

Yeah, you and I agree on this. It's the public airing of it that I don't like.

I don't like Rober saying "If i do what they ask, they have to start me week 1."

It could also be a mind game. Shanahan is that sort of guy and Robert is smart enough and savvy enough to play a part in it and play it well. As of right now I'm at the same spot as you - something to keep an eye out for, but otherwise nothing to be concerned about.

Every quarterback that has ever been benched for whatever reason is pissed about it, I'm sure. Only in DC does it become "Robert is a narcissist" and "Robert and Mike don't get along." Total non-issue.

Steve Czaben had a funny take on it on friday. Paraphrasing...

It's like when you take your 10 year old son to see the superman movie and he comes down stairs in his superman pajamas wearing his cape. You roll your eyes, but you let him do it because he's 10 and he's going to see superman.

Now everyone let Robert wear his cape and back off.

Every quarterback that has ever been benched for whatever reason is pissed about it, I'm sure. Only in DC does it become "Robert is a narcissist" and "Robert and Mike don't get along." Total non-issue.

The evidence that he's a narcissist goes back quite a ways, it's not just this.

Again, I don't think it's an issue, just an observation. I'm willing to bet 80+% of the people in the NFL are narcissists. I bet 90+% of the people in NFL front offices/coaching staffs are narcissists.

OMG...we've got a narcissist at QB!!!

He's probably got (gasp) an ego too!

OMG...we've got a narcissist at QB!!!

He's probably got (gasp) an ego too!

How was Broadway Joe described by the media? He wore fur coats on the sideline and rubbed elbows with New York City's elite, and it seems like in retrospect he is treated like a hero for it.

Steve Czaben had a funny take on it on friday. Paraphrasing...

It's like when you take your 10 year old son to see the superman movie and he comes down stairs in his superman pajamas wearing his cape. You roll your eyes, but you let him do it because he's 10 and he's going to see superman.

Now everyone let Robert wear his cape and back off.

This.

The kid wants to play, and the closest he can get to playing right now is to dress with the team. I don't think he's making some grand statement or anything. He just wants to be as close to the action as he can. And I don't see that as a bad thing.

Oh wow... I'm just now hearing his comments this morning. He is not happy

Folks, I have a pretty big ego about what I do for a living. I'm good at it, I'm successful, etc, but I don't come close to the level this kid is on. Even if you want to take money out of it, he is clearly part of the upper echelon of QBs, and was last year during his first year in the league. I'm good, but I ain't that good.

The kid is going to have an ego, and probably a gigantic one. The question will be, is he able to use that to motivate himself to be the best, or will it consume him? Plenty of examples both ways, and it's way too early to tell, but sure, it bears watching.

You're enjoying playing the heel, aren't you? LOL.

I can't help it that majority of redskins fans refuse to even consider that maybe Robert isn't 100% perfect in all aspects of life.

Things from today's press conference to fuel this:
Robert says he knows the plan, but doesn't understand the plan.
He doesn't like that the plan is fixed in timeline - that it doesn't matter how well he progresses. (is this a hint he wont play the first 4 weeks? we keep focusing on the opener, what if its the first few weeks?)
He met with Shanahan privately, promises were made. "all you have is your word", he expects everyone to live up to their promises.
Shanahan said Robert wont be in 11 on 11's while in Richmond, Robert said today he'll be in doing 11 on 11's tomorrow.

Write it all off as you will, they're either putting on a fun show or Griffin truly isn't happy.

edit: for what its worth this hasn't changed my opinion of Griffin at all. Makes me rethink him starting week 1 though, for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.