• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

what's up with Robert?

did we think that maybe the 4 weeks means the 3 remaining preseason and 1 week until MNF?

Just a thought..I dont know thats what they mean or not.

The only thing I know of that's been said by either Shanahan or Griffin is that they have more steps to go through and that the next step is 11 on 11's.

Shanahan said, last week, that Griffin would not be playing in 11 on 11's while the team is in Richmond. Griffin said this morning he would be doing it tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see whether he plays in 11 on 11's, and to me it'll tell us the most about whether there is a problem or not (though it could still be a Shanahan-patented misdirection scheme)

What I don't like is him airing **** out in public and producing what may have a sense of being ultimatums to the coaching staff. I wish he'd just be quiet and let his play on the field do the talking. I wish I could comfortably believe that Griffin wouldn't let his ego be a detriment to the team.

So now desire to play, and disagreeing with the staff on when that should be, is a detriment to the team? Come on, t. This kid has done and said the right thing in every instance since BEFORE he even signed here. I will not fault an elite QB for wanting to be on the field with his team. Not. At. All.

Also, I don't get the impression at all that he's handing out any sort of ultimatum. He didn't say "play me or trade me." Not even close. Ultimatums generally have some kind of consequence attached to them. What's the consequence here? That'll continue to be frustrated if he doesn't play when he thinks he can? GOOD!!!

One last thing...Who was the first person smiling, laughing and hugging Cousins when he came off the field after leading that TD drive Thursday? That's right...the detriment to the team.

Forgive me for being a little harsh. It's not personal. There's just no smoke OR flames here.

HAIL.

So now desire to play, and disagreeing with the staff on when that should be, is a detriment to the team? Come on, t. This kid has done and said the right thing in every instance since BEFORE he even signed here. I will not fault an elite QB for wanting to be on the field with his team. Not. At. All.
You don't think him purposefully lying to the trainers and coaching staff in the seattle game was a detriment to the team?
Him doing that doesn't give you at least a slight pause in wondering whether he will, or maybe if he current is, doing it again?

There's video and audio tape of him telling Trent Williams he was hurt, but not to tell anyone, early in the game. According to everyone he said he was fine.

Remember, at the time everyone was crucifying Shanahan for it. Now we know Griffin lied to him. Now it doesn't matter? Or is it still Shanahan's fault?

If that doesn't bother you then that's fine. It bothers me, only because there's a possibility (however slight) it wasn't a one-time thing.
Also, I don't get the impression at all that he's handing out any sort of ultimatum.
No what he said was:
"If I do everything they ask me to, they have to play me opening day"
I certainly don't blame anyone for not seeing that as an ultimatum. I do think there's a bit of an argument to be made that, given the rest of what he/shanahan have said, there may be something to it.

One last thing...Who was the first person smiling, laughing and hugging Cousins when he came off the field after leading that TD drive Thursday? That's right...the detriment to the team.

Forgive me for being a little harsh. It's not personal. There's just no smoke OR flames here.

HAIL.
That's fine... I hope you're right... I'm certainly not saying you're wrong.

I'll say, again, having an ego issue isn't a problem for me. It just means you have to have a coach that has the will and authority to keep him in check. It concerns me a little because I think Griffin is more important to snyder than Shanahan - or put another way, the public perception about Griffin is more important that Shanahan.

His play on the field is all that matters. I'm sure when he steps on the field we'll be in awe at his abilities again and all of this will have been forgotten.

Also, I don't get the impression at all that he's handing out any sort of ultimatum. He didn't say "play me or trade me." Not even close. Ultimatums generally have some kind of consequence attached to them. What's the consequence here? That'll continue to be frustrated if he doesn't play when he thinks he can? GOOD!!!

HAIL.

I couldn't agree more. The only smoke and fire I see is what the media has kindled, and between some of the members in this thread.

Just sayin...

Seven game winning streak.
First playoff appearance in several years.
First division title this millennium.
Rookie of the year.
Numerous records.
Excitement.

Keep on winning, getting titles, accolades, etc. and he can have a strong measure of egotism. I have no desire to return to mundane QBs who say the company line verbatim and produce 4-12 records each year.

Do you think Tony Stewart wants to be back in his race car today? He has an ego and several championships to back it up. He is going to say and do everything to get back in that car asap.

Bottom line, I fully expect our QB to have a strong and healthy ego. That kind of confidence produces wins and championships. I'll take it and be happy that we don't have the same type of QB situation that we have seen in the previous twenty years.

You don't think him purposefully lying to the trainers and coaching staff in the seattle game was a detriment to the team?
Him doing that doesn't give you at least a slight pause in wondering whether he will, or maybe if he current is, doing it again?

There's video and audio tape of him telling Trent Williams he was hurt, but not to tell anyone, early in the game. According to everyone he said he was fine.

Remember, at the time everyone was crucifying Shanahan for it. Now we know Griffin lied to him. Now it doesn't matter? Or is it still Shanahan's fault?

If that doesn't bother you then that's fine. It bothers me, only because there's a possibility (however slight) it wasn't a one-time thing.

Jack Youngblood said he was fine. Steve Young MANY times in his career said he was fine. NFL history is FULL of players who played when they shouldn't have. Yes, there absolutely is (and should be) more of an emphasis on preventing that these days, but that's not on the players. It's on the training and coaching staffs.

The average NFL career is about 3 1/2 years. If you're regularly coming out of games due to injury, do you think your tenure is going to be shorter or longer than that? These guys want to keep their jobs. So they're ALWAYS going to try to go back in. Again, sometimes your staff has to serve as the conscience that the player may not exhibit.

And FWIW, I wasn't one of those who crucified Shanahan. I couldn't tell at the game how badly Griffin was hurt. But when I watched the footage on TV, yeah, I thought Cousins should have gone in. But I'm not going to tear Shanny's head off for doing what he thought gave us the best chance to win.

tshile said:
No what he said was:
"If I do everything they ask me to, they have to play me opening day"
I certainly don't blame anyone for not seeing that as an ultimatum. I do think there's a bit of an argument to be made that, given the rest of what he/shanahan have said, there may be something to it.

If you do everything your employer asks, would you expect to be allowed to do your job? I would.

tshile said:
I'll say, again, having an ego issue isn't a problem for me. It just means you have to have a coach that has the will and authority to keep him in check. It concerns me a little because I think Griffin is more important to snyder than Shanahan - or put another way, the public perception about Griffin is more important that Shanahan.

I agree that Shanny, and those giving him medical opinions, need to prioritize a player's safety, especially when he's shown SOME disregard for that himself.

As for who is going to "win" in a situation like this, it aint 1970. It's 2013. Star players in all sports make a ****-ton of money. And yes, that plays into the ego issue. But any more, when there's a coach-player issue, it's the coach that loses. Can't say I like that anymore than you do, but it's a fact of modern sports.

tshile said:
His play on the field is all that matters. I'm sure when he steps on the field we'll be in awe at his abilities again and all of this will have been forgotten.

Agreed. HAIL.

If any clarification is needed, I am not faulting the ego...but there is a very fine line between the ego working in your favor and letting it affect your judgement. I think at least once that we know of, he let his ego affect our team, i.e. the Seattle game.

The kid is special and I have an ego that probably exceeds his, but he is proving to be far from the "humble" young man that many suggested he was. It's hard to be humble when you have a chip on your shoulder and this kid's got one. Let's just hope he doesn't let it get out of hand.

I agree with all of that, I'm just not sure about the last part. It serves no purpose to say the things he's saying if Shanahan and him have agreed on him starting the eagles games. (Unless it's a jedi mind trick, and i mean that seriously)

I wonder if Shanahan is mad he said he's playing in 11 on 11's tomorrow. By all accounts that's the next step, so that could be great news.

well...we'll know pretty soon where this is headed!

A year ago, I firmly remember Mike Shanahan starting to talk along the lines of looking ahead to evaluating for next year after a 3-6 start. It obviously lit a major fire under the butts of this team for the next seven weeks of football and sparked much of the enthusiasm that has carried forward into this year's training camp and preseason. Master plan from Shanahan to inspire his players? Who knows.

All I can say is this...while Robert is showing that he does possess a chip on his shoulder right now, if he comes out in his sophomore year and lights the league on fire again, I'll be the first to tip my hat to Mike Shanahan for giving Robert even more incentive to succeed by holding him back longer than he likes or prefers.

It's one thing to want to prove those on the outside wrong that you can come back from major injury and succeed. It's a completely different animal when you are trying to prove something to those closest to you (i.e. Shanahan).

The longer Mike holds firm and sticks to the plan, the better Robert and this team will be in the long run.

Y! SPORTS

RG3's displeasure with team's plans for him actually works best for Mike Shanahan, Redskins

On Monday, Robert Griffin III declared, "there's no doubt I'm playing Week 1. That's the way I feel about it."

It's a welcome statement for Washington Redskins fans, yet such optimism about returning from a knee injury suffered in January's playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks, or even his disclosure he's getting additional live reps in practice, wasn't the most encouraging thing coming from Griffin's weekly meeting with the media.

Instead it was his reaction when asked about whether he liked coach Mike Shanahan's decision to sit him through the preseason, which Griffin wants to play in. Redskins QB Robert Griffin III isn't expected to see any preseason action this month. (USA Today Sports)

"I can't b.s. that answer," Griffin said. "So, uh, no. I don't like it. There's some part of it that I do understand. I don't understand all of it. At the end of the day he gave me his word. We talked privately. I know the whole plan. I'm not telling the whole plan. I don't understand the whole plan at all and I can't lie about that."

Griffin is a little confused and a little defiant on this issue, and that's a good thing. What the above says is that Shanahan is back in charge here, his decision to sit the franchise quarterback through the preseason is set in stone (as it should be), and the coach isn't particularly concerned whether RG3 agrees or even understands. In the interest of communication, he apparently tried to explain whatever the plan is.

Moreover, Griffin is still the competitor who believes he is indestructible. The knee injury hasn't left him gun-shy – at least when it comes to talking about returning. While what happens on the field remains to be seen, this is exactly what you want a guy coming off repair work to both his LCL and ACL to say.

Griffin promised he'd see "live action" – albeit wearing a red jersey in practice – on Tuesday.

"Definitely tomorrow," Griffin said. "I look forward to it. I've been ready for it … You'll get to see me play football instead of seven-on-seven. Team drills, live action, having fun with my boys. That's how it is … It's just time to get back out there with my teammates. I've proven that I'm capable of protecting myself."

This is a far better balance to the coach-player relationship than the one that helped doom Washington's playoff game last season.

Despite Griffin being hobbled and ineffective due to the knee injury, and despite having a 14-0 lead and a capable backup in Kirk Cousins, Shanahan kept his starter in the game. Washington gained just 41 total subsequent yards, Seattle mounted a comeback and RG3 suffered an additional injury in the fourth quarter when he crumpled to the ground after trying to pick up an errant snap.

Shanahan's decision to stick with Griffin made no sense. His reasoning afterward was worse.

"I talked to Robert and he said to me, 'Coach, there's a difference between being injured and being hurt," Shanahan said that day. "He said, 'I can guarantee I'm hurt right now, but give me the chance to win this football game because I guarantee I'm not injured.'

"That," Shanahan said, "was enough for me."

It shouldn't have been, something Shanahan has acknowledged in the aftermath. The two have discussed it, according to RG3.

Coach Mike Shanahan took heat for keeping Robert Griffin III in January's playoff game. (AP) "We ironed that out," Griffin said.

Players are trained to talk their way out of injuries and back on the field – it's part of what makes Griffin such a dynamic player. They lie, hide, fake, hold in the pain, whatever it takes. He just wanted to win a playoff game. It's the coach's job to see through the blind confidence and give the team the best chance to advance (let Cousins nurse a two-touchdown lead) while avoiding further injury to a franchise level talent.

That Griffin wants into pointless preseason games – which would be a completely unnecessary risk – isn't surprising. At least at this point, away from the intensity and heat of a wild-card game, Shanahan is making the sound decision.

So Griffin doesn't like it. So he doesn't understand it. Yet he says there is an actual plan in place. Good. He says he's doing everything to be ready for the Monday Night opener against the Philadelphia Eagles four weeks from now and he is counting on the coaching staff living up to its side of the bargain, presumably to start him if he gets doctors' approval.

"When you give your word to somebody, that's all you have," Griffin said. "So I'm just banking that they're going stay true to their word and I'm staying true to mine. I'm doing everything that they ask me to do without any gripes."

Mike Shanahan is in charge again. Robert Griffin III is accepting the appropriate limitations on his understandable but unnecessary belief that he ought to be out there so soon after being injured.

That's how it's supposed to work, and whether RG3 is truly back for Week 1 or by Week 4, this is the coach-player dynamic that bodes well for the long, long haul.

And that, at this point, it is all that Washington should be focused on.

Shanahan just said without a set back he believes he'll be ready week 1. :)

Shanahan also said there is no arrangement between him and Griffin about play time related to how he does in practice.

Chris Cooley thinks Shanahan and Griffin are just screwing with people

Well, RG3 has a lot riding on starting in game one...financially.

When players really get interested in playing no matter what, it usually boils down to money.

He does? How so? He will get his game check no matter what as long as he is on the roster, and obviously he will be, so how will playing or not playing make a difference financially?

Forums like this are good entertainment as are sportswriters. Amazing how exaggerating things can become. Robert's not perfect by any means, nor is anyone else for that matter. If your QB is not a little selfish and cocky, then you have problems. Name me one successful quarterback who doesn't have an ego. If you say Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, then you are dead wrong. They just have an ego in a quiet way. RG3 is flamboyant and has always been that way, but he does it with humility. He knows he did not get here completely on his own. He does open his mouth more than he should for his own good, but you do know where he stands. Good to see Shannahan in charge. It needs to stay that way.

RG3Fan, you have had more access to this kid than I have, but to say he carries himself with humility now after what I have seen since the Seattle game, nothing more than selfish ego, just doesn't jibe in my book. I believe he has crossed that fine line between ego and self-centered arrogance.

It's not about when Robert Griffin III wants to play, it's about the team. We experienced Bob putting himself before the team already, this latest incident seems like more of the same.

And to be quite honest, I think he is putting too much pressure on himself.

Jason Whitlock is a controversial writer, but I think he is on to something with Griffin. I think he may be exaggerating the insecurity angle in his latest piece, but the substance of the argument holds true. It's time for RG3 to shut up and let Robert, the dynamic QB, do his talking on the field when the doctors, coaches and player feel he is ready. All 3...

Right now, Griffin comes across like a kid in love with drama and running his mouth. He wants to be the lead story on SportsCenter more than he wants to build a relationship of trust with his head coach.

Redskins' Robert Griffin III needs to cut the drama and focus on the game - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Jason Whitlock is a controversial writer, but I think he is on to something with Griffin. I think he may be exaggerating the insecurity angle in his latest piece, but the substance of the argument holds true. It's time for RG3 to shut up and let Robert, the dynamic QB, do his talking on the field when the doctors, coaches and player feel he is ready. All 3...

They were discussing the insecurity on the monday morning quarterback show (on friday) with rich campbell and the gist of it was that Cousins is further along as a passer and it's evident in practice (this seems to be a unanimous opinion among the beat reporters), mainly because of the types of offenses they both come from, and that seeing Cousins be successful on the field could lead to security issues even though everyone knows Griffin is the starting QB. The big issue they kept going back to was that Griffin had never worked with a route tree before, while cousins had a few years doing it in Michigan.

It seems far fetched to me, Griffin was rookie of the year last year... But I could also understand it, athletes at that level probably are insecure about their job even when it appears to us there's nothing to worry about.

The route tree stuff also makes sense because my only knock on Griffin's play was that he didn't appear to be going through progressions, at least not early in the season. I'm not sure if thats because the first guy was open so often or what, but it looked like he was locking on to people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.