• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Made Butter Chicken for lunch today with Basmati Pilaf. It was freaking great. Making a lot of pasta next week, paired with fish - mostly salmon and flounder it looks like...

You have access to halibut where you're at? Breaded and fried in olive oil and you'll be hooked for life!

Tonight, it's spicy asian grilled chicken :)

I've marinated chicken breasts in the following:

20 oz. coca-cola
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
squirt of lemon juice
squirt of orange juice (if you have time, put some orange zest in too)
1 teaspoon of freshly minced garlic
1-2 habanero peppers finely chopped
1 teaspoon powdered ginger (or a tablespoon or two of freshly grated)
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

This is a marinade I'd rate in my top 5 lifetime, and that's saying something. It's also amazing with steak. If you have time, can't emphasize enough - sub all fresh ingredients (ginger, lemon juice, orange zest, garlic). Nice thing is, if you don't have time you can use powdered ginger, commercial lemon and orange juice, and garlic from a jar, and it's still amazing). Habanero's are mandatory, and don't worry, it will give the meat just a hint of zing.

Grill.

Enjoy.

More than a decade later, I still use a version of this marinade with beef quite often. Got a couple of flank steaks marinating in it right now. Didn't have any OJ, and added a splash of apple cider vinegar and also a little sesame oil.

OK, so we broke down and got carry out tonight from one of our favorite restaurants.

A Little back story on them before I tell you about the meal. Down Town Ellicott City, MD has a flooding problem. Every other year they have had the flood of the century because of the improper water diversion from new development in the area. It all funnels into this down town area and people have lost their lives from these floods, not to mention the damage with subsequent rebuilding.

State Fare is the product of a restaurant owner who could no longer viably stay in business in the down town location he'd been for 20 years after 3 rebuild in the last 10 years. So he rebuilt elsewhere and has become a tremendous success. The new place is near us.

So tonight I had they Maryland Club Sandwich.

It is soooooooo good!

MD Crab cake (it's a real one)
home made shrimp salad (flavored with a sprinkle of old bay)
bacon
lettuce
tomato
Sourdough toast

And instead of their French fries, which I don't really eat that often anymore, anyway...I had fried pickles!

That sounds pretty damn good to me. I took some chicken thighs, gave them a sprinkling of rib rub, and am smoking them on the BGE for about 90 minutes. Gonna put a little BBQ sauce on them for the past couple minutes. Tossing some fresh broccoli with a little oil and dry ranch dressing. and going to air fry them.

Using a smoker can be weird. Sometimes, you can do the usual grilled foods and it comes out great. Tonight, even though I didn't do anything any differently it imparted way too much smokiness to the chicken I cooked. I ate a couple pieces, but threw the rest out. No idea why it generated so much smoke. I generally use my gas grill for smaller things for this reason. Probably need to go back to doing that. A smoker is great with really big cuts of meat (brisket, pork shoulder, even a turkey - because it only absorbs a small amount of smoky flavor.

Ran out of dinner supplies, so doing an egg bake. 10 eggs, some fresh garlic, scallions, kimchee, diced up some flank steak I had cooked Friday night, some jalapenos, fresh pepper, parsley, thyme, salt, and generous squirt of sriracha.

Grilled salmon with a dijon and brown sugar glaze. My youngest son made spatezel and sautéed brussel sprouts for my wife’s b-day

Been eating bigger lunch with much smaller dinner for health reasons. Making a miso-marinated salmon with cauliflower fried rice in a bit. Love the way the Asian flavors come together in this.

So I've been using Chipotles in Adobo sauce for years, but recently came across a simple recipe for combining some with mayo for a simple dip for hushpuppies. Freaking phenomenal.

I made shrimp tostadas with homemade tortillas and shrimp salad with some leftover chipotle-mayo and it was awesome.

I'm sensing that as a condiment on a LOT of sandwiches in my future. Among many other things.

Yesterday afternoon, did some pork chops in the air fryer that came out great. Basically seasoned the chops, soaked in some lemon juice for an hour. Dipped them in egg and rolled them in a mix of some almond flour, parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest, and parsley.

The other day I made biscuits and sausage gravy - a double batch of gravy. I am making pizza today, specifically breakfast pizza with sausage gravy, cheese and eggs. One of my favorite things to make and eat.

And it's so healthy!

(or whatever the opposite of healthy is)

Plan for tonight is breakfast for dinner. We are having bacon, eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy, and I will fix my granddaughter one or two surprise pancakes.

I am maniacally doing keto right now. I finally found a noodle/pasta no-carb option. Plant-based noodle called 'shirataki'. Going to try some Pad Thai with shrimp with them tonight. We'll see....

Do not EVER purchase anything called 'shirataki'. I had been warned that these vegetable based noodles would 'stink' coming out of the packaging, but was told to rinse several times and they would taste just like real noodles taking on the flavor of whatever you served them with.

Dear God - these things are not for human consumption (and I'll eat about anything)! It was like eating slippery, slimy, baby snakes that had been skinned and left in the fridge for 60 or 70 days. I have been water boarded, and given the choice between water boarding or eating a bowl of this stuff - strap me to the board please.

I threw it all out and was not quite sure it wasn't going to make me sick.

Live and learn. You want pasta? Make some ****ing pasta.

I was needing a real Happy Meal. Tonight made cedar plank salmon with a Dijon and brown sugar glaze. Grilled Asparagus and jasmine rice. Just what the doctor ordered. Fat and happy!

1587395797120.png

Quarantine has been good to me.

BBQ ribs
BBQ Pork Chops
asparagus
corn on the cob
bacon wrapped shrimp

I made keto fried chicken yesterday. Instead of flour breading, used crushed pork rinds and a little bit of almond flour. It actually came out pretty good.

I made keto fried chicken yesterday. Instead of flour breading, used crushed pork rinds and a little bit of almond flour. It actually came out pretty good.
we use pork rinds for our tuna cakes. who would have thought that pork rinds of all things would be keto?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.