• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Another night, another 'oh hell yeah!' moment. In between thunder showers today, picked a couple gallons of figs in the backyard, picked some tomatoes, and finally, snatched 8 or 9 ichiban eggplant from the garden.

Gonna make some fig jam later on this weekend. But my eyes were on the eggplant. Ichiban eggplant, unlike their gigantic cousins, are thin and elongated, with skin no where near as bitter. They are perfect for the grill. So I sliced them lengthwise, brushed them with olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and threw them on a hot grill. They would've been fine that way. But when I pulled them off the grill, I had a topping ready for them of garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper, some rice vinegar, and a healthy sprinkling of red pepper flakes.

[media]http://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/eggplant.jpg[/media]

Wow.

I amaze even myself sometimes :)

Last edited:
End results of fig-picking, 24 pints of fig-strawberry jam. Manly? No. Sweet deliciousness? Maybe.

Son Daniel was my fig-strawberry jam-making wingman.

[media]http://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/fig.jpg[/media]

Thai Duck Curry last night. Damn hot. Damn tasty.

The boy's been home from college, so I can cook a lot.

Ribeyes - nothin' fancy....coarse sea salt, cracked pepper and olive oil

Cedar planked Salmon - with a rub of brown sugar, pepper, salt, ancho chili powdder & cumin.

Zucchini & squash - 1/4" slices, (cut lengthwise), drizzled w/olive oil & sea salt. I'll brush a tiny bit of sesame oil and soy when they come off the grill.

Saturday night fixed crab cakes, jasmine rice, and grilled yellow squash. Last night made grilled hot wings, grilled egg plant, and pasta.

My youngest son made creme brulee for dessert Saturday night.

Wife worked today and I beat her home, so looks like I'm on for supper. Going to do some seafood linguine (some fake crab, scallops, goat cheese/parmesan/cream sauce with some vegetables over pasta). Quick and easy.

Tonight it was a shrimp salad. Washed it down with diet green tea/w citrus.

Diet green tea? I assume that just means unsweetened.

Last night was just ham, mac 'n' cheese and green beans. The night before was boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a lemon-pepper asparagus cream sauce over angel hair pasta, with asparagus on the side.

Alone - waiting for loved ones to return from a day trip. Zucchini, marinated in italian dressing, on the grill. Cold fosters on the tongue. Habanero/ginger/coca-cola/teriyaki steak marinating. 'Pulp Fiction' on the TV. Cat outside stalking mice.

God - life is good.

Top that.

If there were naked women here, you'd have no chance in hell.

Then again, Uma Thurman is with me. And I have one helluva imagination.

Did a brisket today uber quick with no prep. About 11am my wife says to me she took brisket out of the freezer for us to have for dinner with friends about 6. I went nearly ballistic. Doesn't she know that's a 24 hour thing minimum?!? Apparently she doesn't.

So I whipped up a rub of ground mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika and a couple other things that are escaping my mind at the moment, brushed the meat down with olive oil, applied the rub, browned it on both sides for 15 minutes or so and the put it in an oven pan with a bottle of my Dead Leaf Brown homebrew and some Lea & Perrins. This is covered with foil and did it for 3 hours over indirect high heat.

To go with it I threw together a homemade TN style BBQ sauce made with whiskey.

I have not been complimented that much about anything I have done since I wrapped that turkey breast with bacon and lets face it...wrapping anything with bacon is cheating. So this was a real win in my book.

I'm cheatin' today.

Grilled pork loin chops w/Mcormick's Grillmates Maple Smokehouse rub.

Grilled asparagus, drizzled with olive oil and tossed in sesame oil and Yoshida sauce.

Tomato salad w/fresh basil, olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar..

BBQ chicken thighs tonight. I've discovered a new BBQ sauce that "dries" in about ten minutes. That means you can layer it as it cooks. There are very few sauces that dry this way. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? And does anybody know of another sauce that does this?

We'll do corn on the cobb too. Not sure what else...

Just the kids and I for dinner tonight. Going to make a little eggplant casserole (with homegrown eggplant and tomatoes, basil, garlic, little olive oil, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and some italian cheese mixed in). Going to grill some lamb chops and steak to go with it and a nice italian bread.

My kids eat well :)

Nice Boone.

I am going to make a ribeye and two sirloins for the fam, with some garlic mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini and squash.

If memory serves, i have a John Adams Summer Ale with my name on it for grilling as well.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Having one of my absolute favorites, Pho! Even thought Goaldeje has me craving some garlic mashed potatoes. :mmm:

Are you the Pho King? :)

School me brother, school me... I know nothing of this 'Pho' you speak of....

Pho is noodle soup. People go absolutely bat-**** for this stuff, but its simply noodle soup. I honestly don't understand it...I've never craved it. I'll eat it, but there's a list of 1000 things I'd rather eat!

Pho is noodle soup. People go absolutely bat-**** for this stuff, but its simply noodle soup. I honestly don't understand it...I've never craved it. I'll eat it, but there's a list of 1000 things I'd rather eat!

If it is made right, it is awesome. Love it! And if you have allergies, I have found the broth to be very helping in subduing my sinuses.

Boone, you should check it out, good stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.