• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Are that a serious question?

I refuse to Google that...

We all die. Every.One.Of.Us.

If it's a scratched teflon pan that gets me, I only I have one thing to say.

Bring it BITCH!

Just a heads up for any of you who love authentic Italian food........I am currently making a red sauce with braciole, and pasta from scratch. The recipe for both originated in Sicily in the 1800s with my great grandmother's grandmother. And yes, I will soon be that asshole who freely shares a 150 year old secret family recipe :D Pictures, ingredients, and instructions will follow later today.

My crab cakes, quinoa, and fried squash and zucchini. When we fry squash we sliced paper thin, bread, and then fry like a potato chip.

craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakes
homer_simpson_drooling.gif

Step 1: Dice 1 medium eggplant, and mix with ¼ teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl

Step 2: Dice 2 medium yellow onions (not Vidalia onions)

Step 3: Thinly slice 10 cloves of garlic

Step 4: Cut off the top and stalk of 1 medium artichoke, and snip off the tips of the visible leaves, then add to 4 quarts of boiling water in a large pot, and boil for 30 minutes

Step 5: Remove the artichoke from the water, and remove all of the green leaves and throw them back into the boiling water

Step 6: Cut the bottom remaining stalk off of the artichoke, and cut the remaining leaves and hairs off the top, and quarter the heart and add to the boiling water, then boil for 15-30 minutes

Step 7: Filter 1 cup of the artichoke water through a coffee filter to remove small pieces

Step 8: Toss eggplant, onions, and garlic into a pot with ¼ cup of olive oil, and sautee between medium and medium low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour the artichoke water into the mix, turn heat up to medium, and cook until most of the water has evaporated.

Step 9: Open 1 large can each of peeled tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato puree. The brand doesn’t matter, these two brands are just the best tasting in my opinion. Dump the puree and the crushed tomatoes into the pot with the eggplant/onion/garlic mixture, add 1 tablespoon each of basil and parsley, and heat covered on medium low heat for 15 minutes

Step 10: Chop the peeled tomatoes and add to the pot

Step 11: Mix together ½ cup of Italian bread crumbs, ½ cup of chopped and crushed pine nuts, ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese, and enough olive oil that when combined together, looks like wet beach sand

Step 12: Using a meat mallet/tenderizer tool, pound and flatten 4 skirt steaks on each side until nice and thin, then spread a light coating of the bread crumb mixture all over one side

Step 13: Roll up each piece of braciole tightly, then use kitchen twine to tie each piece in the middle and the ends

Step 14: Fill a large pan with enough olive oil to cover the bottom about ¼ inch deep, and brown all sides of the braciole on medium low to medium heat. Once brown, add to pot of sauce, cover, and heat on lowest heat setting for 3-4 hours

For the pasta, I decided to do ravioli tonight. The process is way too messy to do while attempting to take pictures, so here is the recipe for the basic pasta to make any type of noodles you want. You absolutely need a spaghetti roller machine or Kitchen Aid attachment to do this, or it will take you all day.

Pasta Dough Ingredients
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 cups of semolina flour
8 large eggs

Mix together the flour and semolina in the bowl of a stand mixer, or mix them up and create a mound on the counter top with a crater in the center. If using a stand mixer, add the eggs to the dough and mix them together with the paddle or dough hook until well mixed. On the counter top, crack the eggs into the center of the flour and semolina. Use your fingers to gradually draw the dry ingredients into the center, mixing them with the eggs. The dough will be hard to mix at first – a pastry scraper will help you draw it all together – but eventually it will come together and be relatively smooth.

Knead the dough with the heel of your hand for at least three minutes until the dough is very smooth. The dough should not feel sticky. If it sticks to your fingers, knead in a small amount of flour, just enough so your fingers come away clean when you pull them away. Wrap the dough and let it sit at room temperature for an hour.

To roll out the pasta, on a lightly floured surface, cut the dough into six or eight pieces. Working one piece at a time, fashion each piece into a rough rectangle, then pass it through your pasta machine on the widest setting (usually #1). Fold dough in half or in thirds and pass it through again. Then fold and pass it through one more time.

Continue passing the pasta through the machine, closing down the opening of the rollers a few notches with each pass (and dusting them very lightly with flour or semolina if the dough is sticking) until you’ve reached the desired thickness. Then, if you wish to make fettuccine or spaghetti, use the pasta cutter attachment to cut the sheets into the desired thickness, or cut the pasta by hand on the counter top with a chef’s knife to whatever size strands or shapes you want.

Like I said, I decided to go with ravioli. If you have a ravioli cutting tool, it makes life easier. For the filling, I used a mix of parmesan, ricotta and asiago cheese, with a little bit of spinach.

Just before you serve the sauce, soak 3 whole bay leaves in it where you can see them to remove them. Let them soak in the sauce for 15 minutes, then remove them. Remove the braciole, cut off the strings, and slice it. Then add 2 handfuls of grated parmesan to the sauce and mix together.

Here is the final product……

Ex, that looks phenomenal...really!

Tonight, we're gonna have chicken breast (sesame ginger marinade from farmer's market), boiled shrimp (Old Savannah), mac 'n cheese
(farmer's market made, and amazing)...haven't decided what else.
Going to see Robert Plant tomorrow night, so dinner will be beer.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look at that recipe I'm detail - sounds and looks amazing.

It's way better than it looks too.....I'm not big on presentation. I'd rather have my food taste awesome than look pretty. Some of the best food I've ever eaten looked like garbage. Stuffed cabbage being a perfect example.

Drank my dinner once or twice this week. Watermelon Martinis get me every time.

And yes, I'm married. To a woman.

It just dawned on me that poached eggs are a much easier and quicker way to make boiled eggs.
Only difference between poached and boiled, is you're either boiling with or without the shell.
So, if I can make poached eggs that much quicker and easier, then the next question is, how would an egg salad sandwich turn out if I used poached instead of boiled ?

Tonight it was fresh salmon (caught yesterday) from the Taku River in Alaska, fresh corn on the cob, fresh green beans, fresh (fried) okra - all picked earlier today.

It just dawned on me that poached eggs are a much easier and quicker way to make boiled eggs.
Only difference between poached and boiled, is you're either boiling with or without the shell.
So, if I can make poached eggs that much quicker and easier, then the next question is, how would an egg salad sandwich turn out if I used poached instead of boiled ?
Well, if I did that, it would be runny as hell! Boiling just gets everything harder and easier to slice/chop, I guess. I'm definitely interested in your results, tho.:munching_out:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.