• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Pho tonight. Man - one of my favorite dishes and relatively easy to make... Yum... my house smells like a Vietnamese whorehouse.

That's a good thing in this case.

Pho tonight. Man - one of my favorite dishes and relatively easy to make... Yum... my house smells like a Vietnamese whorehouse.

That's a good thing in this case.

I thought you weren't a fan?

Nah man, I love the stuff...

Crock potting. Bought a pork roast. Rubbed it down with cumin, homemade chili powder, oregano, basil, and salt. Put it in the crockpot on top of minced garlic, couple of chopped onions, some cubed winter squash, 3 diced jalapenos, a chopped red bell pepper, and some chopped tomatillos. Added a big can of diced tomatoes, couple cans of drained black beans. Added a large bottle of a nice pumpkin ale for liquid. Going to let it go on high for 3 hours and then dial it back for another 3. Pull out the pork roast, until and chop it and add it back to the mix.

Nothing fancy so its turning into a chili and cornbread kind of evening!

Found a real simple kabob chicken recipe that was very good. They call it 'Carnival Chicken' (guess that's because it's something you might buy at a fair or carnival?).

Marinade is enough for 5 lbs of chicken thighs (I cut each thigh in half lengthwise before marinating)

1 cup soy sauce
12 oz. Apricot preserves
1 tablespoon onion powder
3 or 4 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon ginger OR 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

The coating carmelizes really well during grilling but turn frequently and keep an eye on it as it will burn with all the sugar from the preserves if you aren't paying attention.

Wife and I went to a local distillery Saturday and I fell in love with their Honey Whiskey (for cooking purposes, mostly). Sunday I made a Wiskey Chili EVOO marinade for a pork loin. Took about 40 minutes to grill but oh so worth it.

You grill it Fear? I love Malt Vinegar....

Bake or Grill.
In the past, I've always loved Malt Vinegar as an addition to potatoes - in any from - whether it's roasted potatoes, hash browns, french fries, or whatever. It's like potatoes and Malt Vinegar were exclusively made for each other. I'd use the malt for nothing else but the spuds, and automatically used it on any/every potato dish.
Similarly, I find that Red Wine Vinegar and Seafood, of any kind, were made exclusively for each other.

But as for the Malt, I've now discovered it can be a primary flavor on chicken, and anxious to see what else.

I've never tried malt vinegar honestly, but you guys make it sound pretty good.

The girl I'm seeing uses malt vinegar on potatoes all the time. I figured it was one of those British things that go along with their lack of taste buds. :)

Pepper Stout Pulled Beef Sandwiches

I highly recommend this one.

Buy a 4-5 lb chuck roast. I couldn't find one that big, so bought a couple of 2 lbers and tied them together with twine. Apply a generous rub of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Put the chuck roast on a smoker at 225-250 degrees - you can use smoke or not. I used Kingsford apple charcoal (which I am a big fan of since it imparts a smoky flavor without being overpowering). Cook on indirect heat for an hour or two, until the internal temp is about 165 degrees.

While waiting for the beef to cook, slice the following up and put into a tin roasting pan:

1-2 red onions
2-3 green, red, or yellow peppers
3-4 Jalapeno peppers
6-10 garlic cloves

Pull the beef off the smoker and place on top of the veggies in the tin roasting pan. Pour a 1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce and a full Guinness Stout over the veggies and roast. Tightly cover the roasting pan with 2 layers of aluminum foil. Put in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and cook for 2.5 - 3 hours more. Pull out of the oven and shred the beef along with all of the veggies. Put pan back in the oven and reduce liquid by half.

Serve beef on hard rolls with bleu or gorgonzola cheeze (fresh horseradish might not be a bad idea either).

Photos are 'in progress'.

This is a crowd pleaser - trust me :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
It's a cloudy post-rainy day here in NC. Perfect time for one of my favorites - hot and sour soup. Key to a good hot and sour soup is finding authentic ingredients - particularly tiger lily buds and black tree fungus. I like a spicy, vinegary soup with tofu, chicken strips, and mushrooms. Not much better than a big bowl of hot and sour, with some sourdough bread to dip into it as you go.

Yum.

Man, where are all my fellow cooks these days?

I wasn't able to find a tri-tip, so I bought a London Broil and a Top Sirloin for this one. Only major changes I made in the recipe (which I got off of the Virtual Weber Bullet forums at https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37752-Santa-Maria-Tri-Tip) were picking a big handful of oregano, thyme, basil, and dill from my herb garden and adding them to the rub - it is more like a pesto rub than a dry rub. I also made about 3x the amount of basting/mop sauce and subbed olive oil for vegetable oil.

2.5 – 3 lb. Tri-Tip, fat cap trimmed

RUB
1 Tbsp fresh gr. Blk Pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Dried Rosemary
½ Tbsp Paprika
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper

BASTE/MOP SAUCE
1/3 Cup Veg. Oil
1/3 Cup (½ Red Wine, ½ Red Wine Vinegar)
½ Tbsp Dijon Mustard
4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 Tbsp Parsley, Minced

Rub Tri-tip with seasoning, wrap with plastic film and refrigerate for 3 hours. Combine Baste/Mop Sauce ingredients and emulsify with a hand blender or in a blender. Stir in garlic and parsley. Can make a head of time so ingredients can marry. Remove meat from refrigerator and let sit at room temp for at least a ½ hour before putting on grill.

Get enough coals hot for two layer fire inside a Weber. Clean and oil grate. Place Tri-tip on grate and baste with Mop Sauce. Grill for 3 minutes and turn and baste Tri-tip with Mop Sauce again. Turn Tri-tip every 3 minutes and baste each time. Cook Tri-tip to desired doneness. Remove to platter, pour remaining Mop Sauce over Tri-tip, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 15-20 minutes. Carve against the grain

Pics coming.

IMG_2724.jpg
I made a black bean and rice soup this morning. Pretty simple- garlic, onion, tomato, cabbage, rice, ham hocks, and hot sauce.

Last edited:
5f45b57e8b936a30214b7c8e6e4709d7.jpg

Beef with herb rub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.