• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

No - I don't bury it. I leave it on containers at room temp for 3-4 days and then it goes into the fridge. Traditionally Koreans bury their kimchi pots in winter because the ground keeps it above freezing but cold enough so it ferments very slowly and they can eat a batch throughout the winter. It's got some stank to it no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like when they would can cabbage on the farm.

IMG_2776.jpg

Cucumbers make the best kemshi by far.

Never tried a cucumber kimchi but I see there are a lot of recipes out there. I'll give that a try. Can't imagine it's not good but just wonder if the cucumbers actually 'ferment' like cabbage does?

Made something very simple last night, Beef Fennel Stew, that was really great. Diced up 2 small onions and 5 or 6 cloves of garlic and sauteed in olive oil. Added cubed flank steak that I'd marinated for a little bit with some of the diced garlic, seasoned salt, and ground pepper. Once that was browned, I added 1 large fennel bulb (I chopped up the entire thing - bulb, stalks, and ferns) and some chopped fresh oregano. Covered all of it with 3 bottles of a really nice hoppy ale. Let it simmer for a couple of hours. It was amazing.

Cucumbers make the best kimchi by far.

I just made a batch with cucumbers. One thing I've already decided is that using shrimp paste makes a really strong (and after fermenting, a little foul) smelling kimchi. I left that out with the cucumber batch. Bought a kimchi clay pot today to ferment in (called an Onggi). Going to leave it a room temp for just 2 days or so and then refrigerate.

I just made a batch with cucumbers. One thing I've already decided is that using shrimp paste makes a really strong (and after fermenting, a little foul) smelling kimchi. I left that out with the cucumber batch. Bought a kimchi clay pot today to ferment in (called an Onggi). Going to leave it a room temp for just 2 days or so and then refrigerate.

I'm not sure about the fermenting of cucumbers cause I get my hookup from some local Koreans at the corner store. Did you can any of your garden cucumbers? Damn its good if you get it right!

If you're on a Korean kick lately you gotta try yaki-man-du (sp). Basically a pot sticker ensemble that's fantastic. Best version imho is beef, normal cabbage and rice in basically a fried dumpling. Dip that bitch in soy sauce and its on!

I'm anxious to see if your Unoggi makes the crazy batch or not.

Last edited:
My wife is making her great tasting meat-balls today.

1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 lb ground sausage
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
4 cheese sticks
Spaghetti Sauce

Cut cheese sticks into 1/4 length or so. Put in freezer for at least one hour.
Combine both meats, breadcrumbs,and egg. Mix until spread thoroughly.
Roll meat mix into meatball, about the size of a small apple. Put one piece of frozen cheese into middle of meatball.

Put meatballs into crock pot, with sauce covering all meatballs. Cook on medium for 5 - 6 hours.

Put meatball/sauce on plate. Serve alone or with pasta. Delicious.

That sounds like some good eats btfoom. Buddy of mine used to make a crockpot lasagna that they'd sound perfect in.

I made a bolognese sauce a couple of weeks ago, made lasagna with it (bechamel and bolognese + pinot noir? Heh). Made fettuccine today by hand - 2 cups of flour, 2 eggs, 6 egg yolks, 2 TBSP evoo, then rolled out by hand super-thin.

Really good lunch today. No wine because I had to teach our 16 year old how to drive, but still superb lunch.

For the game tonight I am smoking an 8 lb pork shoulder and doing home made cheesy fries. The pork has been in the smoker for hours now and the smell is killing us all. :)

Got a big pot of tailgate chili going. Two kinds of wings marinating for the grill:

Bourbon Glazed Drumettes

and

Korean Wings

Grilling both.

Used some Eagle Rare for the bourbon ones - and the smell pretty amazing already.

For the game tonight I am smoking an 8 lb pork shoulder and doing home made cheesy fries. The pork has been in the smoker for hours now and the smell is killing us all. :)

OK, I'm not a great expert on pork, but I've made pulled pork before and love it. Is there anything you look for specifically with the shoulder? How long should you slow-cook it (I only have a crockpot), so if that doesnt work can you advise for another part of the meat?

Just marinate and throw directly on the grill at medium heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some big fat burgers and brats. Wanted to do something different. My wife made homemade potato salad. My stepson's girlfriend made a German potato salad and a buffalo chicken dip.

I figure burgers averaged 1/2 lb. each

OK, I'm not a great expert on pork, but I've made pulled pork before and love it. Is there anything you look for specifically with the shoulder? How long should you slow-cook it (I only have a crockpot), so if that doesnt work can you advise for another part of the meat?

Honestly, I'm not an expert in picking out pork. I pick them up more for weight than anything else and so far I have not had a bad one.

I've done pulled pork in the slow cooker too. This is easier than smoking it but I have gotten addicted to the crust I get in the smoker from the spices and there just isn't anyway to do that in the slow cooker. Having said that, I got some very tasty stuff our of the slow cooker. I put the pork in there with some coke, beer, sliced onions, garlic, salt and liquid smoke. Time will depend on how big it is but you are looking a 4-5 hours minimum in most cases.

Last night, took some of the first batch of traditional kimchi, chopped it up and used it as the base for kimchi soup - basically, the kimchi is cut up and added along with the amazing juice to pork or chicken, onions, leeks, shiitake mushrooms, rice vinegar, chicken stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, etc... and all served over rice as the Koreans do. Very, very good. I've frozen soup-appropriate batches of my first large stash of kimchi so I can make this repeatedly :)

So that was the cabbage & fushigi bowl batch? That sounds kinda good right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.