• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This team can't even lose right

Look, if we lose out and get to pick say, sixth, we get who we want QB-wise with no additional sacrifices. If we start winning, we may very well have to give up some draft picks to get to a sixth position to get "our guy". We have far, faaaaaaaaar too many holes to fill to start doing that.

This season is a bust no matter what. What's the difference in 3-13 and 4-12? Nothing. And I'm happy with the play I'm seeing from the young guys, win or lose

Winning anymore would be just a bonehead play and will do nothing but harm us next year

never ever would i ever not root my heart out for my team. never. you couldnt waterboard me enough to admit im rooting against the skins. **** a qb

Yep, and there's no guarantee that losing a game will cost us a QB in a draft. It's all speculation. And there's also no guarantee that such a prospective QB won't be a bust. So that's more speculation.

Yep, and there's no guarantee that losing a game will cost us a QB in a draft. It's all speculation. And there's also no guarantee that such a prospective QB won't be a bust. So that's more speculation.

yes..but...it is pretty sure that this team will suck again next year with any of the QBs currently on the roster! I have had enough of this moronic losing. like Boone said....1 step backward for two forward down the road.....

Boone said:
Thing is - even if fans DID root for the team to lose, they're likely supporting that sacrifice because they believe it could help result in years of winning. I think one could actually make the argument a willingness to embrace pain in order to eventually not have to experience it supports someone being a fan, not the reverse.

I'm not sure I agree with that. If you want this team to lose, are you really a fan of THIS team? Sure, you may be a Redskin fan ... a fan of a team that may or may not exist off in some undetermined future date when the team is finished being built ... when it is winning. But are you a fan of THIS team? The guys that suit up right now, wear the colors right now, leave it all on the field today?

Life is complicated enough as it is without overthinking sports. Sports is the escape. It's not supposed to be a chore. Our guys line up and try and beat their guys, and when they do we are happy. This is what sports should be about, not hand-wringing over offseason minutiae while the games are still being played. Sure this is just my opinion, but ... were any of you REALLY happy we got swept by Dallas again this year? Really?

What the hell has happened to this fanbase? It's bad enough to be losing without feeling like half the fans are rooting for another team ...

yes..but...it is pretty sure that this team will suck again next year with any of the QBs currently on the roster!

We will suck even more next year, if we don't use the rest of this year, to "practice winning" as opposed to tanking the season. Winning is just as much a learned skill, as it is having the "right players or draft picks".

I'll add to that, another element. Is it fair to the fans who spend the money, the time, the energy, and other sacrifices to attend the game and cheer the Skins on, only to find out that the team is purposely losing ? So in fairness to those dedicated fans, why should we cheer for them to lose ? It's a travesty to those fans, and in my opinion, a major legal issue, of intentionally and knowingly screwing the fans who come to the live games.

That's just sentimentality talking Henry. In a year like this year, there are guys most of you want to run out of town on a rail. Grossman, Beck, Hall, Trent Williams, Gano. This idealization of 'fandom' is silly - on an average Redskins Sunday this year, it's not 'cheering' I've seen and heard (and I'm here every game), it's bitching, moaning, blaming, and anger I've mostly seen. I haven't heard a lot of you supporting 'our QB' this season even though he wears the Burgundy and Gold and 'real fans' root for their QB, right?

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with that. Fans are passionate. They shouldn't be happy with what we've had to watch for a long, long time. Some of them (in fact, I'd argue most) have been driven to ambivalence about the current season, and from there, it's just a stone's throw to not caring excessively about a loss in an already lost season, if it gets this team to a better place. That hardly brings anyone's 'fandom' into question.

Honestly - we almost had a fight break out in the chatroom Sunday because guys were challenging other guys fandom. There's no place for that here. That's not directed at you. I'm just saying I don't think anyone here knows anyone well enough to make that case.

Last edited:
I'll add to that, another element. Is it fair to the fans who spend the money, the time, the energy, and other sacrifices to attend the game and cheer the Skins on, only to find out that the team is purposely losing ? So in fairness to those dedicated fans, why should we cheer for them to lose ? It's a travesty to those fans, and in my opinion, a major legal issue, of intentionally and knowingly screwing the fans who come to the live games.

I still say that's a straw man argument Fear. Maybe a handful of fans are actively 'rooting' for losses, but I think you'd be hardpressed to find more than that. Feeling ambivalent about meaningless wins isn't the same thing. I think the issue you're struggling with is perhaps the feeling that no win is 'meaningless'. I would disagree...but it doesn't make you wrong or misguided.

I don't think modern NFL teams could or would ever attempt to tank a season without it becoming public knowledge. I don't think the coaches would do it, and I don't think the players would do it.

And just on a side note, the Redskins have been mostly screwing their fans for decades. They haven't needed to try and tank a season to accomplish that :)

What the hell has happened to this fanbase? It's bad enough to be losing without feeling like half the fans are rooting for another team ...
It's called Wandering the NFL Wilderness for 20 years.
It comes to a point that the losing wears you out and you become apathetic

Or you wake up one morning realizing that the last Franchise QB we had hung his cleats up in 1974 and want the team to do whatever possible to end the drought.

It's called Wandering the NFL Wilderness for 20 years.
It comes to a point that the losing wears you out and you become apathetic

Or you wake up one morning realizing that the last Franchise QB we had hung his cleats up in 1974 and want the team to do whatever possible to end the drought.

I think it has to due with guys like you not being aware or alive durring our super bowls, and thus having to live for the offseason as your only good part of the season.

I was alive and old enough to be aware when we were winning super bowls, so Ive been there done that. I want to get back there, but Ive also been through the several off season "wins".

No win is meaningless, ever. You have to be one sour puss to not take pleasure in your teams victory. Also, to those who are crying cause our draft pick is slipping keep in mind theres no guarentee they use the pick on a qb. They could trade down and get oline or any number of scenarios.

A strong defense, with a strong oline, can bring any qb to the promise land.

Last edited:
LOL@ the thread title.

This organization has really done a number on its fans. I applaud anyone who has stuck around and perservered through these last ten years--whether rooting for wins this season, or for losses. Being a Redskins fan certainly isn't easy.

...if that means tanking the season...well....I'll be a bad fan and not so secretly wish for that! (ouch!...Ax pls remove the needle from the Fansince voodoo doll!)
"fansince, you're my brother, and I love you. But don't ever takes sides against the family again."

"Ever."

btw....does one shy away in veiled embarrassment or simply smile when Rex makes rookie mistakes like he did this past weekend?
Personally, I'll scream something like, "That's why you got benched last time you stupid mother ****er! Jesus ****in' Christ! How goddamn dumb can you be Rex? Aggravating sonofabitch!"
I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone actively rooting for it (not sure about Sarge) - I think it's more a recognition that if we don't win, it may actually be better for the long-term prospects of the team.
See above statement. And there are more. The thing is, I don't think they mean it, deep down. It's a defense mechanism. You know, like trying to play off seeing an ex girlfriend making out with somebody you can't stand.
"Don't bother me."

Yeah, right!

Besides - anyone who obsessively hangs out on an internet messageboard focused on a single NFL team - trust me, they're a fan.
Either that, or they can't get anyone to talk to them in real life. Like me! ;)
Look, if we lose out and get to pick say, sixth, we get who we want...
That's wonderful. What if we want Akili Smith? Franchise QB's can come from anywhere. Top ten picks don't have a corner on the market.
never ever would i ever not root my heart out for my team. never. you couldnt waterboard me enough to admit im rooting against the skins. **** a qb
I wept.
That's right.

Fool's Gold, my friend. Fool's Gold.
"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

I think it has to due with guys like you not being aware or alive durring our super bowls, and thus having to live for the offseason as your only good part of the season.

I was alive and old enough to be aware when we were winning super bowls, so Ive been there done that. I want to get back there, but Ive also been through the several off season "wins".

No win is meaningless, ever. You have to be one sour puss to not take pleasure in your teams victory. Also, to those who are crying cause our draft pick is slipping keep in mind theres no guarentee they use the pick on a qb. They could trade down and get oline or any number of scenarios.

A strong defense, with a strong oline, can bring any qb to the promise land.
I was alive and well during the Glory years and watched everyone of those SuperBowls.

Then I watched this team stumble down the road to mediocrity and out into the Wilderness with Norv and so far, never find it's way back.

With the draft last April, Shanny looks to have found a compass but only if we stay on this path and get the main piece, a Qb.

Does picking in the top three guarantee we get one? No.....but it gives us a better shot at who WE want and not so dependent on letting others dictate to us.

It also gives us more options on say, if someone pulls a Ditka and offers us a boatload to move up.

With the holes across the team, who would mind that?

So, I like the long view...the heck with meaningless wins in a lost season. Let the young guys play, get that experience and infuse more talent into this roster.

Cause I'd like to get back to how it was around here in the 80's, when we were a serious contender for a decade.

I was alive and well during the Glory years and watched everyone of those SuperBowls...

...Cause I'd like to get back to how it was around here in the 80's, when we were a serious contender for a decade.
Me too.

And the QB's that got us there?
SB VII - Billy Kilmer Drafted in the 1st rd, #11 overall, by the 9er's as a RB.
SB XVII - Joey T. Drafted in the 4th rd, #99 overall, by Miami
SB XXII - Doug Williams Drafted in the 1st rd, #17 overall, by Tampa Bay
SB XXVI - Mark Rypien Drafted in the 6th rd, #146 overall, by the Redskins

Sammy Baugh was #6 overall. Only top ten QB in our history worth a damn.
Sonny was a 4th rd pick #46 overall (translates to a 2nd these days)

And before anyone throws out the "Today's NFL" crap.

It's still football.
You throw the ball.
You catch the ball.
You tackle the guy what has the ball.
Most points win.

well...Ax.....on the flip side....Beck and Rex (drafted 22nd) have certainly worked out well!

That's just sentimentality talking Henry. In a year like this year, there are guys most of you want to run out of town on a rail. Grossman, Beck, Hall, Trent Williams, Gano. This idealization of 'fandom' is silly - on an average Redskins Sunday this year, it's not 'cheering' I've seen and heard (and I'm here every game), it's bitching, moaning, blaming, and anger I've mostly seen. I haven't heard a lot of you supporting 'our QB' this season even though he wears the Burgundy and Gold and 'real fans' root for their QB, right?

If course it's sentimentality talking. That's the point.

This is football, not particle physics. A plus B doesn't have to equal C. Winning a few games doesn't automatically equal a crappy offseason. I can, as a fan, root for both wins and a successful offseason, because there's no reason that both can't happen. It's happened a gabillion times before in this league and it can (and will) happen again. And best part of all, it costs me nothing to root for both.

You (I use 'you' in the general sense) can root for losses to get a draft pick if you want, but if that draft pick is a bust (as is likely to happen as not) you rooted for the Cowboys to win ... for nothing. You were actually a Cowboy fan for a day, for nothing.

Yes I wring my hands and pull out my hair in the offseason. Yes I turn off the TV in disgust and shout obscenities when we, predictably, continue to lose. But I think I can safely say I've never hoped this team sucked. I don't think I've ever done that. Expecting crappy play and actively rooting for it are two entirely different things.

I think our QBs are terrible. That doesn't mean I WANT them to be terrible. That's what we're talking about here.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with that. Fans are passionate. They shouldn't be happy with what we've had to watch for a long, long time. Some of them (in fact, I'd argue most) have been driven to ambivalence about the current season, and from there, it's just a stone's throw to not caring excessively about a loss in an already lost season, if it gets this team to a better place. That hardly brings anyone's 'fandom' into question.

I'm not talking about not caring about a loss. I'm talking about actively rooting for losses. Look at DieselPwr44's post to me. I think what we are seeing is that when people are dying of thirst in the desert, some will try and drink the sand. I think that's what's happening. This miracle saviour of a draft pick is only a mirage. Either the team is going to be built right or it isn't. The pick is only a very small piece of that equation, but we are so desperate for something, anything to hang our hats on that some latch onto that piece and mistake it for the whole thing.

I understand that. But it doesn't make it less annoying when I'm actually rooting for my team to win games. When I come onto a board, which is supposed to be a refuge for Redskin fans, knowing there will be threads of 'yay the Redskins lost!' or 'the idiot Redskins won!' It's like the board has been overrun for Cowboy and Eagle fans. Sorry if that offends some people, but it doesn't feel any different from this end.

Honestly - we almost had a fight break out in the chatroom Sunday because guys were challenging other guys fandom. There's no place for that here. That's not directed at you. I'm just saying I don't think anyone here knows anyone well enough to make that case.

Fine. I won't declare anyone a fan or not. I don't know their soul. What I do know is that when I'm rooting for my team to win and someone else starts cheering against them, it ticks me off. It's why I don't watch games with rival fans. I really would rather not start thinking of fellow Redskin fans the same way.

Last edited:
What I do know is that when I'm rooting for my team to win and someone else starts cheering against them, it ticks me off. It's why I don't watch games with rival fans. I really would rather not start thinking of fellow Redskin fans the same way.
I blogged it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.