• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Trent Williams question

Hog Fever

Vescere bracis meis
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Trent Williams has been a great Redskin. Not only was he arguably the best offensive player we had on the team for several years but up until last year his dedication to the team could hardly be questioned. How many games did he suit up where a few days before he could hardly walk?

Alas, father time catches up to everyone and in the last few season he played there were some definite injury concerns. He missed a lot of games and played hurt in lots of others (I know, i know I just praised him for that).

My question is this: Do we want to make a potential 3 or 4 year investment in a LT who will be 32 at the start of the season and with an injury history that's significant?

Why do I say 3 or 4 years? Well, it's clear, at least to me, that after everything that happened last year money and contract DID figure into his decision to sit out. I think it would be foolish to count on him playing out the last season of his contract (with no extension) without some kind of drama. As much as I like Trent, his history here and his game if I were the Skins I would move him before the draft. The real time to move him would have been LAST YEAR during the season when you had teams thinking about the playoff run who were probably willing to part with more than what we could get now. Still, a 2nd rounder or late 1st (I can dream) given the expectations for the season might be the way to go.

As most of you already know we have no second rounder in this years draft. We need more picks. If we take Chase Young with the second pick it's a looooong wait till the 3rd round. Especially for team like ours with numerous needs.

Thoughts?

My honest opinion is I think trading Trent for a pick wouldn't work out for us. My belief is that we could get far more out of him for a few years than any draft pick in any round will give us in the same time span. Our track record proves it. When he's on the field, he's far too valuable to this team to risk an unproven 2nd round pick on.

If we were offered a 2nd for him I’d do that in a heartbeat. He abandoned his teammates for spurious reasons imho. I think his absence was mostly about wanting a bigger paycheck. And his best football is behind him. Move him if you can.

If we were offered a 2nd for him I’d do that in a heartbeat. He abandoned his teammates for spurious reasons imho. I think his absence was mostly about wanting a bigger paycheck. And his best football is behind him. Move him if you can.
Any other year, I'd go for this. However, we cannot afford to sign another LT and we don't have the draft value to pick one in this draft who will start immediately. He's practically our best option. We often hear about this league being a business, well this is the best option financially with what is available.

Thanks to Bruce Allen, we lost the greatest value we could have had for him, Jadaveon Clowney or a 1st round pick. Houston was desperate.

Plus, we need to bring in a vet or 2 to compete with Moses.

I totally agree with Boone. Trade him! He was a great Redskin until like Boone said he abandoned the team and the fans...I'm never playing for The Redskins again. A second round pick could pick up a temporary replacement.

He is worth at least a 1st.

I want: your 1st and 2nd of this year, AND a 2nd next year. You want him? Pay up!!

He is worth at least a 1st.

I want: your 1st and 2nd of this year, AND a 2nd next year. You want him? Pay up!!
And then a naked Scarlett Johansson walked into the room bringing you a cold beer...

Nobody's giving the Redskins that much draft capital for a LT entering the twilight of his career.

My feelings on Williams start with 1), if not Trent, who starts at LT for our young QB and offense in 2020 and who backs that starter up, and 2), how much will Trent cost?

after answering those questions I’ll try and sort out my feelings about how his recent history might impact the locker room.

Guess it’s a matter of priorities....

And then a naked Scarlett Johansson walked into the room bringing you a cold beer...

Nobody's giving the Redskins that much draft capital for a LT entering the twilight of his career.

Can I trade him for naked Scarlett Johansson? No? Damn.

In all seriousness, I'd have to really look at this. It is a near certainty that we won't get him for 16 games. It has been 4 years since he played more than 13 games. It has been 7 years since he played a full 16 game season. How much is he going to want to play 10-12 games? How much is a back up we trust to play a lot going to cost? What is the drop off between the two players in terms of talent?

Remember, Trent is 32 and apparently couldn't even get his helmet on in November. He won't be the same guy he was a year ago.

We also have a metric ton of cap money available and could have more if we moved him on.

The Browns were willing to give up a 1st last year. You never know until you ask for it. We've seen teams trade for Ricky Williams, trade Herschel Walker, trade for RGIII. The list goes on and on. It does happen.

Plus, a lot of really hot women like ugly dudes. You have to ask before you shoot yourself down.

I’m pro-Scarlett so I approve of this thread. If we get a 2nd for him, we draft his replacement with it. If you can’t get a very good LT with a 2nd round pick you aren’t doing it right. Trent isn’t close to the same guy we’d get in the top half of the first round now. So the idea that we keep him because we can’t draft his replacement with our top pick doesn’t hold water. We don’t need a game-changing LT. He’s not that either. We need a very solid replacement and we can easily find him with a 2nd round pick especially in a good draft for OL.

First rule of rebuilding is replacing aging vets with young studs, especially when aging vets are headcases with trade value.

And the first rule of fight club is ...

I hear ya Boone ... I’m just not as sanguine about heading into the season with a 2nd round raw rookie slated to start at LT. or that guy as the primary backup to Player X we’ll need to land as starter between now and opening day.

it’s why I need to know if Trent is physically ready, and how much he’ll cost, before writing him off.

I do reserve the right to jettison his dope-smokin’ game-missin’ aging ass in a Scarlett second for a 1st rounder however. I only look stupid. :)

I agree that if offered a first or second round pick we should consider a trade for Willams.

That said this is not 2012 with the cap penalty.

The Redskins have close to $60M in available space pending some additional contract moves in the offseason. Additional room can be created with a restructure of Kerrigan to lower the $11.7M hit there.

The Eagles have continued to pay Jason Peters at age 35 because a skilled LT is hard to find.

In fact the Eagles paid Brooks AND Johnson in addition to Peters and they can still field a 53 man team under the cap.

Who on this team currently outside of Collins, Kerrigan is making uber money or has significant term left?

Again I agree a discussion on Trent is warranted but if Ron decides he wants a veteran LT to protect Haskins rather than a high rookie pick we can afford it.

we have potentially 3 guys leaving the OL if we dont get them back. do we really want all first year starters to go along side Moses and whoever the center is?

we have potentially 3 guys leaving the OL if we dont get them back. do we really want all first year starters to go along side Moses and whoever the center is?

Can’t answer that myself because it is 'potentially’ but yes that is a big factor. There are recent examples of teams totally revamping their OL in a single season and having success (don’t ask me to name them but I heard a NFL network piece on that topic recently so I assume it’s possible). I guess given that our OL has underperformed for several years even with *supposedly* the best OL coach ever I’m less afraid of change.

I can agree with it being possible...but, we also lost Callahan.

Smart move, to me, is keep Trent for a bit. See what he can do.

I’m pro-Scarlett so I approve of this thread. If we get a 2nd for him, we draft his replacement with it. If you can’t get a very good LT with a 2nd round pick you aren’t doing it right.

I would take a 2nd rounder for Williams in a second. At this point he's a big bag of "I don't know what the hell we have anymore" and we don't need that drama here. I would take whatever reasonable pick or picks I could get and start finding me a new LT.

MikefromOH said:

That's rebuilding for ya. You take your lumps and gear up for the future.

The Redskins aren't good enough to half-ass a rebuild. And we don't have a 2nd round pick this season. If we could get that back I'd take it and run.

I would take a 2nd rounder for Williams in a second. At this point he's a big bag of "I don't know what the hell we have anymore" and we don't need that drama here. I would take whatever reasonable pick or picks I could get and start finding me a new LT.

That's rebuilding for ya. You take your lumps and gear up for the future.

The Redskins aren't good enough to half-ass a rebuild. And we don't have a 2nd round pick this season. If we could get that back I'd take it and run.

if yall want to aim low and end up with less than you could get, cool. we could get a 1st for him, and a good negotiator could probably get us a 1st and a future for him. just because we are in a "rebuild" doesn't mean we need to take whatever we are given.

I would love for you to be right but I’m skeptical. If they were offered a 1st it would be insane not to jump at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.