• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Offense!

Won’t happen with Turner the younger anytime soon. This fact escapes him far too often.

i think it will, and I think the short passing game is an extension of the run game... but when you're run block win % is damn near 74%, that's impressive, even for the better units in the NFL.

Per NBC Sports Washington, Alex Smith will start against the Eagles.

Is he important to Washington? Finlay noted that the team is 4-1 with Smith as the starter, 2-8 without him.

Also potentially impactful - Jim Schwartz is not coming back as Eagles D-coordinator as the rift between the staff and Howie Roseman seems to be deepening.

How committed these guys are to winning on Sunday is indeed questionable at this point, although you won't get anyone to confirm that of course.

Hopefully Schwartz will pull a Gregg and call some zero coverage blitzes.

The offensive line did a pretty good job last night given that Alex Smith's mobility declined by the quarter. I was not surprised to hear Rivera say that he was thinking of putting Heinicke in the lineup in the fourth quarter of the game.

Truth is, had Philly cared about winning last night it’s very likely they would have.

Smith is a liability for us at this point. I give him credit for 2 great throws, the fade for the TD to McLaurin and the great TD throw and catch to Logan. Other than that he just killed us. He should’ve sat at the half and it’s worrisome that Rivera continued to stick with him, since his rationale for benching and cutting Haskins was that the team deserved someone under center who gave them a chance to win.

Apparently that goes by the wayside when it’s Alex.

Smith gives us NO chance to upset the Bucs. If he’s the QB it’s almost not worth tuning in. I do not believe we can win that game without a healthy QB capable of throwing downfield.

I am surprised you don't see the difference between the two situations.

Haskins never made ANY plays and he didn't inspire confidence in his teammates. Moreover, he didn't know the playbook and they could only run perhaps 50% of it with him on the field. Pulling him from any game or releasing him entirely was ALWAYS a viable option.

Smith is 5-1 as a starter for us this year. We are 2-8 with others starting. So, as much as Chase Young or others, Alex Smith got us here.

And from that perspective Rivera took the approach that he was going to give Smith rope given that he continued to inspire his teammates and responded from being down 10-14 to getting back on top 17-14 before the half.

He admitted in the fourth quarter he almost pulled Alex and at that point with about 10 minutes left I would have agreed with that decision as Smith's effectiveness had declined.

But without Smith we wouldn't have been in position to do anything in 2020 other than hope to take Fields or Wilson in the top 10 of the draft.

So, in that regard Rivera tipped his cap to Smith for his effort and his leadership.

Anyone see Kyler Murray on one leg out there yesterday trying to beat the Rams and make the playoffs? He was defenseless, totally immobile in that fourth quarter of the game. The rookie they put in the game wasn't able to make plays so Kingsbury put Murray back in despite the potential risk to his health.

My guess is that if Heinicke had more of an NFL history of success and performance Rivera probably would have made that move.

But if Rivera had put Heinicke in and he threw a pick six on his first throw of the game imagine the criticism................

While it's tempting to think that Heinicke is like Sonny Jurgensen and is going to come in as a 'fireman' off the bench and provide a spark for a comeback or to enliven the offense when things are flagging, the truth is he played well for ONE quarter against a team in Carolina that lost yesterday 33-7 to New Orleans.

I didn't realize it at the time because I didn't watch the Panthers regularly, but folks here corrected me in that Rivera/Turner had Heinicke in Carolina in 2018 and were in fact familiar with him.

But instead of signing him for nothing to be on the Redskins regular roster heading into the offseason Rivera decided instead to trade a draft pick for Kyle Allen who is the same age.

So, evidently Rivera and Turner didn't necessarily think that Heinicke was a regular NFL quarterback. Even as a backup.

It was the risk of COVID that brought the team to add him to the practice squad. :geek:

One quarter does not a quarterback make

Tampa will sit on everything short and bring pressure because Alex can’t move. If he starts Saturday, Rivera will have done a grave disservice to the other 52...

I don't think Rivera is going to start Alex if during the week he looks to be the player he was in the fourth quarter of last night's game.

That would not be fair to the team as you said but also to Alex himself.

It's very different to consider who is going to START a new contest based on injuries, etc. than it is when you are already playing a game and considering whether to pull someone.

Yesterday, I think Rivera made the right call. With Sudfeld on the field the Eagles were not going to score on this defense.

The only way we were going to lose the game was to make a critical mistake on offense like throwing a pick six or having the qb scramble with the ball extended and being punched out, etc.

At this point I don't think Rivera trusts Heinicke not to make that kind of mistake simply based on his lack of NFL experience. In terms of playing in the NFL Heinicke is still a rookie.

That said, against Tampa the dynamics are different. Smith already seems compromised by playing against the Eagles. We likely won't see the Alex of the first half and if that's the case then Rivera has to start Taylor and Turner has to come up with a game plan to protect a young quarterback that can make some plays but may be prone to the killer mistake as well given his inexperience.

That’s a lot of words that essentially ignore my point and the reality of the situation. Smith cannot play at the level physically required of an NFL QB. Haskins couldn’t either. The fact that there are entirely different reasons for that is completely irrelevant.

I get it. Alex has a proven history of success, Haskins didn’t. Also completely irrelevant.

Smith could not (and likely cannot):

1. Elude the rush.
2. Take off and run when it was there
3. Plant and deliver balls with velocity with consistency.
4. Complete even short passes accurately and on time.
5. Throw the ball more than 20-30 yds downfield.

He threw 2 really bad picks, got sacked unnecessarily, couldn’t get the ball to wide open targets, and could’ve been picked off 2 or 3 other times but for the grace of God.

I love Alex Smith. Also irrelevant.

It has nothing to do with my thinking Taylor Heinicke is Sonny Jurgenson (how did that become my position?). The fact Heinicke is unproven and not Sonny - also irrelevant. If Rex Grossman or Danny Wuerffel were the back up, we’d still be wise to sit Smith and give ourselves a chance to pull off a win with a QB, any QB, who can move and pass and run. Someone who has 2 legs right now, not 1 and 1/2.

How anyone who watched that game doesn’t reach the same conclusion, that’s as big a mystery as why Rivera left Smith in there last night. And why he’ll probably start him again.

I thought the point of the whole exercise was to win the games - not give out Purple Hearts for bravery?

Are you really telling me that this Alex Smith gives us our best chance to win - be it last night or next Saturday?

Last edited:
Yesterday, I think Rivera made the right call. With Sudfeld on the field the Eagles were not going to score on this defense.

The only way we were going to lose the game was to make a critical mistake on offense like throwing a pick six or having the qb scramble with the ball extended and being punched out, etc.

The Eagles did everything they could not to win and yet this very scenario almost played out. We were very fortunate a few calls and bounces of the football went our way down the stretch. The idea that this game was ‘well in hand’ somehow because Sudfeld was in there is totally inaccurate. We were literally one Eagles possession away from still managing to hand the Giants a division title.

I think the Smith of the 4th Quarter is the Smith of the near-future, which is also the future. He's physically compromised. Hell of a heart and soul, but that issue with the calf isn't going to go away. It's what his body is now. I'll never forget what he did to get back here. No one should. If Haskins had a quarter of a brain, he'd have used that as motivation and still have a job. Smith's body just can't do it anymore. His physical peak isn't going to be what it used to be.

I think the Smith of the 4th Quarter is the Smith of the near-future, which is also the future. He's physically compromised. Hell of a heart and soul, but that issue with the calf isn't going to go away. It's what his body is now. I'll never forget what he did to get back here. No one should. If Haskins had a quarter of a brain, he'd have used that as motivation and still have a job. Smith's body just can't do it anymore. His physical peak isn't going to be what it used to be.

I have to agree. It's just not there.

The thing about this weekend, is that the game is going to be able to run away quick if we're wrong. The defense is going to be able to do some work, and Mike Evans' MRI came back negative... so no structural damage. He's currently listed as day to day. I don't see him missing this game. I don't know that the conservative approach is going to be the recipe for a win. We're going to need to sustain drives and Smith's injury has severely limited his ability to do that with his legs. He cant drive the ball either. I want to win. I don't care who the QB is. The story is the greatest with Alex at QB, but I don't want a shorter story for that....

If the choice is playing you or me on Sunday then we really don’t have much of a chance of winning.

So in some ways a choice is not really a choice.

If Smith is 100% that is the real chance to win.

A compromised Smith, Heinicke or Montez are all long shots at best.

That’s not a serious post - sorry.

If the choice is playing you or me on Sunday then we really don’t have much of a chance of winning.

So in some ways a choice is not really a choice.

If Smith is 100% that is the real chance to win.

A compromised Smith, Heinicke or Montez are all long shots at best.

I'm not disputing that, but the Alex Smith that played Sunday was not 100% Alex Smith. If you think Philly's 2nd string D-Line was tough, TB has a couple guys by the name of Jason Pierre-Paul and Ndamukong Suh. The interior is going to get WORK and the ability to step up and out is going to be imperative. If Alex can do that, he's going to need to. Alex might be the best shot we got, but if we play the same game we played yesterday, we're gonna be watching the last game of the season. Brady will make us pay for 2 INTS and going 6/15 on 3rd down. Brady also wont go 5/14 on 3rd down or need help from the refs to sustain a TD drive.

Arians said that Shaq Barrett is gonna be back for the game too, their best pass rusher.

That’s great. Washington is building with a young group of players. As Rivera said we need to avoid the hype of trying to publicly match a team that has spent to win this year with a 43 year old quarterback.

Tampa SHOULD win this game or their one and done effort utterly failed.

Personally I think the Bills have a good shot at going deep. They have been operating on all cylinders and outside of the uber performance of Mahomes is the best team right now.

Tampa had a good season but they are not going to win the Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh may make it to the big game this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.