• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Front Office

We don't know the internal dynamics.

If there was a rift perhaps Rivera and Smith got along initially through the draft but over the summer started to have differences over roster composition and the handling of certain players, etc.

Because this was a front office dynamic and didn't involve an assistant coach or players there haven't been the leaks so typical of this organization in the past.

We can see though through the release of Dwayne Haskins that Rivera has a fairly short rope once someone steps over a 'line' that Rivera feels shouldn't be crossed.

Personally, I like Smith's record. It's not unique but it's good.

Perhaps as a 58 year old coach that paid long dues to get an NFL head coaching job, Rivera felt Smith at 36 could stand 2 or 3 years in the VP of Player Personnel role and Smith disagreed and was more ambitious and asked Ron to promote him or let him go to another team.

I don't know how popular of an opinion this will be. But I'm all for moving on from people of the previous front office. Kyle Smith may have been great. You only hear positives about him. It seems like most fans have attached any success of the front office to Smith and any failures to Allen, Snyder, and may be a few others. The reality is Smith has been a part of the front office staff for all of the good and the bad the last several years. Do we really know what he did or didn't do well? He may be a rising star and he may be the glue that held it all together. He may be the guy who found McLaurin, Settle, and Roullier. He may also be the guy who recommended drafting Apke, Quinn, and Love. As I said at the beginning, we like to give him credit for all the good things and just blame all the mistakes on everyone else. It may be that RIvera saw some good and some bad in him and wanted to go in a different direction. Time will tell for sure. But I'm not shedding any tears for them getting rid of any holdovers.

The one trait of all notable GM's is they had their failures.

Bill Belichick has not drafted well the past several years and his team has declined as the high picks have underperformed and key departing veterans have not been adequately replaced.

Bobby Beathard's second round picks over time were abysmal here in Washington. He also drafted Ryan Leaf in San Diego. At the same time he drafted Junior Seau for the Chargers too.

I don't think Kyle Smith is irreplaceable. He has made some good picks which look all the better after the Cerrato-Allen-Snyder years where we had absolute draft disasters like in 2008 when ALL our three #2 picks turned out to be busts.

I am more and more convinced that Smith saw that the GM title here is not a true GM and he told Rivera over the course of the last year that he wanted to go elsewhere.

So Mayhew was introduced today and they had a joint press conference... I LOVE seeing this type of 'analysis'

I am more and more convinced that Smith saw that the GM title here is not a true GM and he told Rivera over the course of the last year that he wanted to go elsewhere.

I think something happened between them that was a deal breaker for Ron. I have no idea what it was, but I don't think it was Smith's idea to leave, I think Rivera soured on him and that was that. Rivera is too classy to say it, but the vibe I got from his comments about coming to DC from Carolina was 'I don't want to hear about poor Kyle. I got tossed out of a job after 9 years and you don't hear me crying about it'. In other words, shit happens, and now you have an opportunity to show you're as good as you think you are.

Be very interested to know what actually transpired but we may never know.

So Mayhew was introduced today and they had a joint press conference... I LOVE seeing this type of 'analysis'

I loved the part of the presser where one of them said 'You just asked that question and now you're just trying to ask it in a different way. Not gonna happen.'

The biggest takeaway from the press conference today was how differently Rivera responded to questions about Alex Smith's future and Kyle Allen's. In regards to Smith, he basically gave platitudes like 'we will investigate every possible option and possibility to make our team better', while when asked about Allen he literally lit up and said that Allen was a big part of their plans (or words to that effect). I think that was clearly telegraphing, as much with his tone as the actual words, which QB is going to be here next season and which one isn't.

I think something happened between them that was a deal breaker for Ron. I have no idea what it was, but I don't think it was Smith's idea to leave, I think Rivera soured on him and that was that. Rivera is too classy to say it, but the vibe I got from his comments about coming to DC from Carolina was 'I don't want to hear about poor Kyle. I got tossed out of a job after 9 years and you don't hear me crying about it'. In other words, shit happens, and now you have an opportunity to show you're as good as you think you are.

Be very interested to know what actually transpired but we may never know.

See I could interpret it as Smith and Rivera agreed that he would never reach the true level of GM that he was looking for, so a new organization could make that a possibility... all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

Eric Stokes officially announced as Senior Direct of Player Personnel

We have to have the most diverse front office and coaching staff in the league.

He’s getting phased out. Betting were it not for his legacy as a player, he’d already be out. Just my sense. Too close to Bruce Allen and the owner and part of the past way of doing things they are trying to move on from imho.

agreed... If his name was Michael Jones he would be gone already.

Fan experience?

1. Win more games

2. Leave the women in the organization alone to do their jobs

3. Build a new stadium in a better location than the toilet bowl we now have in Raljohn MD.

I'm sort of with BD on this one. I don't know that I have any desire to go to a live game these days, particularly one at Fed Ex Field. Just spent too many fairly miserable games (and a lot of $$) there. I guess it's a positive for the few season ticket holders there still are. This feels like more corporate 'brand rebuilding' to me. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't care about it at this point. Only thing that will move me to a positive position on this franchise is sustained success and Snyder's departure.

I’m going out on a limb & guessing the panthers equipment trainer is on deck?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.