• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Front Office

Thanks! There another article too from SI. Kyle is definitely not getting promoted.

doesn't look that way at this point.... one of the beat guys posted this morning (can't remember who, if I find the tweet I will share it) that Kyle's name has not been brought up not only for our GM position but any open GM position... the real question will be once GMs are in place and they start looking for Asst GMs. Wonder if our GM would elevate him to Asst GM and he groom.

That would be ideal but eventually he’ll be gone considering our next GM will be around for years to come. I really like Kyle’s eye for talent as most of us fans do.

What has Cowden done that makes him so special? :confused:

In the last 5 drafts, only 3 players TOTAL are no longer in the NFL. Thats a pretty good hit rate.

I'm a supporter of Kyle Smith, but Cowden has done well for himself. 5 consecutive winning seasons going 11-5 this year. He nailed his addition of Ryan Tannehill when most people thought he was done... He appears to be a good personnel guy.

Not sure what’s going on with the Kyle Smith snub but Cowden seems to be the only other appealing candidate imho. Suppose we’ll have to dig into his drafts and FA signings to see where all the hits n misses lay.

No to Mayhew

Seems they interviewed internally but it wasn’t who you’d think.

Seems they interviewed internally but it wasn’t who you’d think.

You really have to wonder if Smith even wants the job.

That's what is hard to figure out... if he is in charge of personnel, rivera is in charge of football, Wright in charge of business.. what's the GMs role?

For the record I have no clue, I have never worked in an NFL front office so I don't know how it is made up...

Here’s a link to a hogs haven article and our GM search. It’s pretty amusing when you scroll down to the poll on who fans think it should be. Must be a Dominion counter lol

1D883D40-E4CD-43D7-8946-6CE32C464604.png

It's becoming increasingly clear that every franchise has it's own vision of leadership and how it should be structured. Look at Denver where Elway recently gave up his GM duties but is still functioning as Team President. When you figure out who's doing what going forward in Denver, let us know - because it's clear as mud!

I don't know what the key factors are with Kyle Smith. There are a lot of possible things that could be going on, to include:

1) Smith already has a future gig elsewhere, it just hasn't been announced yet
2) Smith has no desire to be a 'GM'
3) Smith wants to be a 'GM', but not with the parameters as described in DC
4) Rivera doesn't think Smith is the right guy to be our GM
5) They've offered Smith everything but the moon to be our GM but he has declined

Those are just some examples of possible scenarios. Most fans would react most against #4 - the idea that Rivera may not see Smith as a good GM candidate, either based on his assessment of his talents, or due to 'fit' with the new Head Coach. But my response to that would be - what do we really know that's the basis of arguing the point? Yes - Smith has been the most obvious central figure in a string of pretty successful drafts. By all accounts he is a talented front office guy with a bright future. All that could be true and Rivera still not feel he is the right guy. Unlike we fans, Rivera doesn't worry about our perceived history of always letting the most gifted and bright leave DC to thrive elsewhere. He hasn't been a part of that nor does he care about it.

I'm sort of over it at this point. There's no denying we've drafted very well (setting aside some blown, likely Snyder or Allen-related, picks). That's the result of a top-notch scouting/personnel department, not necessarily all that is required of a GM. As SilentThreat referenced, the truth is that we don't even know what is in the GM job description at this time, so it's very difficult for fans to determine whether Smith is a good fit or not.

All we can do is wait and see. Not to oversimplify things, but at some level, we either trust that Ron Rivera knows what it is he is doing and will fill key roles with highly competent people - or we don't.

Oh I know it’s Ron’s team from here on out and his stamp is on everything moving forward. Right or wrong that’s the way it is. Now there’s no denying he’s made the team more competitive and respectable in year 1. But, let’s be honest there wasn’t anywhere to go but up after the Jay Gruden years.

Every coach has hits and misses in staff/personnel, that’s just life. Bringing in JDR is the biggest positive for the team thus far. Yet even with a JDR he also brought in Scott Turner, who at times looked like a turd calling plays.

When I think of a GM it’s all about the draft and free agency. Basically the guy that adds the correct players to fit the team’s vision. All we can do is hope he chooses wisely in filling this position moving forward. Having such an unstable owner doesn’t help matters much either. What I’m hoping for is Ron accepting input for this role vs going the panther way just because. Input from everyone other than Snyder

I think you have to keep moves in context too. In JDR you have a guy who has 12 years (!) of Head Coaching experience with two different NFL teams, and another 5 seasons as a DC. There's literally no comparing that kind of a guy to a Scott Turner who's had a season and a half of OC experience. Those aren't hits and misses. A blind guy on a street corner could've recommended JDR. If Turner develops into a great OC, now that will reflect great judgment and probably some patience as coordinator success depends on a lot of things. We'd probably be calling Don Coryell a turd at this point in his career if he'd been put into Turner's situation :)

I don't know what we'll ultimately turn out to have in Turner - none of us do. But I think it's way too early to be implying he was a bad OC pick.

Any chance Rivera just wants a guy to handle the grunt work of contracts and cap management, similar to what Brucifer did for Al Davis, while Kyle Smith continues to run the draft? We need to give Smith a fat raise to retain him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.