• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Front Office

Figured we're getting to the point now for this too...

not to put a damper on a really good day, but this would seriously hurt

You wonder if Smith is not being 'talked about' by people inside the building to the media, because they don't want to enhance the interest in him outside.

Martin Mayhew sounds great for Redskins lore, but would he be any good for a GM spot if he uses The Lions as his reference?

It is also weird to me that Rivera is leading the search for his potential boss.

It's very hard to read the tea leaves when it comes to this situation. I mean, in general, it's no mystery that new HCs (or for that matter new GMs) want their own people. But in our case, by every report (and certainly by the results), Kyle Smith has been outstanding. A lot of folks here have been asking why it's taking so long to move Smith into that role - which is a reasonable question. My explanation was, Rivera didn't know Smith and wanted to wait until after the first season to make that call, no matter how great his reputation. I still think that's a strong possibility.

That Tweet is pretty misleading. Breer only states that someone within the organization ('I'm told...) indicated that Rivera would probably pick a new GM. The other stuff, as far as who candidates might be, sounds like Breer speculating to me.

Ron is President of Operations and that trumps the GM so Ron is not hiring his boss.

That said, only a fool would move on from Kyle Smith who could easily be the Rams GM next year with McVay if we are not careful.

The Bills Asst GM is not a bad choice if Kyle simply wants to leave but no more former Redskins!

Martin Mayhew was competent as the Lions GM but hopefully we are aiming at more than mere competence.

since when is he President of Operations?

Jason Wright shows as the Team President which includes operations

Ron is President of Operations and that trumps the GM so Ron is not hiring his boss.

That said, only a fool would move on from Kyle Smith who could easily be the Rams GM next year with McVay if we are not careful.

The Bills Asst GM is not a bad choice if Kyle simply wants to leave but no more former Redskins!

Martin Mayhew was competent as the Lions GM but hopefully we are aiming at more than mere competence.

You have to wonder if the decision hasn't already been made and they are just working out the details in the background with a plan to announce it after season's end? That seems like it would be the most likely eventuality. The only wrench in the works (just speculating here) would be him not liking the offer, having his nose out of joint about something (like not immediately getting the gig), or perhaps Smith wanting full control vs. essentially reporting to the head coach.

since when is he President of Operations?

Jason Wright shows as the Team President which includes operations

Jason Wright has no authority in football matters - he's purely the business guy. That includes no authority in hiring a GM. Rivera has that responsibility/authority.

Jason Wright has no authority in football matters - he's purely the business guy. That includes no authority in hiring a GM. Rivera has that responsibility/authority.
I didn't say he does. Bulldog is saying he is VP of Operations. I don't see that anywhere.

Well, the Redskins listing you linked to just 'Head Coach' only - but who cares? He clearly is the top executive when it comes to the football side of things. I think it's a bit weird that Rivera is the defacto HC AND GM but they didn't give him a title indicating those expanded powers. But it looks like that's what they did. Jason Wright has made that clear himself. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. The bottom line is, whoever the GM is will report to Rivera. Maybe that's the issue, that Smith wants to be the top dog - who knows?

Well, the Redskins listing you linked to just 'Head Coach' only - but who cares? He clearly is the top executive when it comes to the football side of things. I think it's a bit weird that Rivera is the defacto HC AND GM but they didn't give him a title indicating those expanded powers. But it looks like that's what they did. Jason Wright has made that clear himself. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. The bottom line is, whoever the GM is will report to Rivera. Maybe that's the issue, that Smith wants to be the top dog - who knows?
He literally called my quote out and said I was wrong. I am asking him where.

Ron is the head coach and doing the interviews for GM. In all reality the GM is usually above the head coach in most football organizations.

That is why I care. I wanted clarification where he sees that Ron is VP of Operations.

Key word is 'usually' but there are other teams where the HC is also top executive. I agree that usually in those situations, the HC has some kind of title making the expanded powers obvious, and they don't appear to have bothered with that in Rivera's case. Who knows why? I mean - this is a Snyder-run franchise :)

But there's no question Rivera is in charge - and that apparently includes being in charge of any future GM.

What is President of Operations? I've never heard that title before.

This may be a 'coach centric' approach, but Rivera is not Team President.... Jason Wright is. That does not mean Wright has administrative power over Rivera, but Wright has the title. I would imagine that most GM positions in the NFL have 'control' over both the Football and Business ops.... That could be the difference maker in this whole situation. I don't know that there can be a true 'GM' in any sense other than the title... The other glimmer of hope I keep is that Smith doesn't want to have to deal with all the other stuff. He's the son of an NFL scout. He's been a scout, how do we know that he wants all the other crap that comes with the title of 'GM?' I HOPE that this whole thing is built into a 3 headed monster with Wright in charge of Business OPS, Smith in charge of Football OPS, and Rivera in charge of Football Team. I don't think Rivera can handle building the team AND coaching it. Not many people can. Smith has the ability to be the best GM in the NFL... I seriously believe that. I don't know that I want Smith to have some oversight of Rivera as much I want him to continue building the roster and maintaining player development. Rivera can have final say, but letting Smith out of the building would be a huge mistake.

The best I can tell, this team is trying to be what the New England Patriots are. Belichick is HC / Co-Defensive Coordinator. He has no front office title, but there is no 'GM.' The "President is Krafts' son, so it's highly unlikely he touches the football ops, and they have a 'Director of Player Personnel.' Currently Kyle Smith is listed as our 'Vice President of Player Personnel' so you wonder if they give him the title of Director... give him a fat little pay raise and follow the format New England is using?

I think a lot will depend on what is meant by 'Smith in charge of Football ops, and Rivera in charge of Football team'? The devil is always going to be in the details. It seems pretty unlikely that Rivera, having near (and perhaps total) control of all football decisions right now with everyone reporting to him, will relinquish that. It doesn't matter if we think he can handle duties well beyond his head coaching role. He got total control because that's what it took to get him here. And to be fair, he seems to be handling things pretty well so far. Whether giving him total control was a bad idea, or whether he ultimately can handle it or not, he's got it. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect that now that he has it he's going to be in any hurry to give it up?

And what is Kyle Smith looking for? We have no idea. Is the idea of them giving him the GM title and a raise attractive to him, knowing that it'll be Rivera and not him who makes the final call on the most important decisions? Does he even want to be a GM or is he happy where he is? Or has he already got a plan in place to move on and join another team in a more traditional GM role where he is calling all the shots?

It might be instructive to know what the set up was in Carolina and how Rivera viewed that hierarchy. But I have no idea on either of those.

This sort of feels like a fan-created 'crisis'. Seems a bit weird after a string of huge wins for there to be hand-wringing. I guess the reason we're talking about it all of a sudden is folks are coming to realize - hey, we might not suck forever! And then comes the question, who is most responsible for this turn of events? Quickly followed by the impulsive fear that we'll find some way to screw it all up because we can't possibly have nice things, lol...

I think a lot will depend on what is meant by 'Smith in charge of Football ops, and Rivera in charge of Football team'? The devil is always going to be in the details. It seems pretty unlikely that Rivera, having near (and perhaps total) control of all football decisions right now with everyone reporting to him, will relinquish that. It doesn't matter if we think he can handle duties well beyond his head coaching role. He got total control because that's what it took to get him here. And to be fair, he seems to be handling things pretty well so far. Whether giving him total control was a bad idea, or whether he ultimately can handle it or not, he's got it. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect that now that he has it he's going to be in any hurry to give it up?

And what is Kyle Smith looking for? We have no idea. Is the idea of them giving him the GM title and a raise attractive to him, knowing that it'll be Rivera and not him who makes the final call on the most important decisions? Does he even want to be a GM or is he happy where he is? Or has he already got a plan in place to move on and join another team in a more traditional GM role where he is calling all the shots?

It might be instructive to know what the set up was in Carolina and how Rivera viewed that hierarchy. But I have no idea on either of those.

This sort of feels like a fan-created 'crisis'. Seems a bit weird after a string of huge wins for there to be hand-wringing. I guess the reason we're talking about it all of a sudden is folks are coming to realize - hey, we might not suck forever! And then comes the question, who is most responsible for this turn of events? Quickly followed by the impulsive fear that we'll find some way to screw it all up because we can't possibly have nice things, lol...

This is basically what I was saying... Smith's dad was a scout, he came up through the ranks as a scout... he may just want to keep going with that, we don't know.

I have no idea what Smith's motives are. I just know we have a guy in the building who is 2.5 months younger than I am and he looks like he's got the goods. Watching him go on to another franchise would be heart breaking. I have been standing on the table for this guy for a while now, including wanting him over Eric Schaeffer. He's the best talent evaluator this team has had arguably ever, but easily in the last 30 years.

I would like to think that even Ron’s ego wouldn’t let the best personnel man in this teams history walk away from it.

I wonder who actually made the call to axe Rivera in Carolina, if it was Hurney, I don't see Rivera going out of his way to bring him in for a talk.

Everything I have heard is that Rivera was doomed as soon as the new owner took over. He wanted 'his guy'. That being said, I don't know what kind of relationship Rivera and Hurney had. Cue the 'Kyle Smith must be the next GM or it will be a disaster' arguments.

Everything I have heard is that Rivera was doomed as soon as the new owner took over. He wanted 'his guy'. That being said, I don't know what kind of relationship Rivera and Hurney had. Cue the 'Kyle Smith must be the next GM or it will be a disaster' arguments.

We've already talked about it... I don't know that GM is anything more than a figurehead the way the current front office is built.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.