• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Denver Post says Shanahan Appears Headed to Redskins

regarding the O-line, the man behind shanny was alex gibbs, master of the controversial cut blocking/ zone blocking technique.

since i was coaching youngsters at the time, i wasn't a big fan of cut blocking -- every sunday my boys would see broncos blocking at the knees, then every monday i had to reteach them to block at the waist or higher. frustrating, but a critical point in my mind.

Yeah, I hated the Broncos dirty-blocking. Almost ended a few careers, if I recall correctly.

Not a fan of Alex Gibb's blocking technique. My guess though is that Shanahan is one coach Portis doesn't want here.

I'm pretty sure Portis is out of here. His contract is the typical-type of cap-eating space-waster that Bruce Allen is notorious for getting rid of.

Anyone else catch Mike and Mike this morning? Mike and Mike were both out (making it a better show IMO) and Adam Schefter was one of the guest hosts. He said he was aware of Pat Bowlen (Broncos Owner) and Beloved Leader speaking recently at an owner’s meeting. The conversation was about Shanahan, and Bowlen was giving his old coach a glowing recommendation according to Adam.

I hear some of you now, “Why would he do this? He just fired him.” and you’d be correct. It doesn’t change the fact that they had a great run together. I don’t care who you are, in coaching anything longer than ten years is a long run, almost too long. Lombardi only coached the packers for eight seasons. Gibbs first run was twelve years. Parcells was with the Giants for seven. Shanahan was with the Broncos for what, thirteen or fourteen? It was time for a change there.

The bigger question here isn’t if Dan wants him, it’s “will he come”? It looks now as if the Cowboys will make the playoffs. That could play into our hands if they are off the market for a coach, only even if it’s till they get eliminated. The reason that even comes to mind is if we by some chance don’t get Shanahan we don’t seem to have much of a plan B at this point. I hope things are moving in the background to account for this possibility.

Hopefully we have a plan B this time. You would think Snyder learned something last time when kept getting rejections before making Zorn the HC.

Then again with enough $$ and power it may make someone decide quickly.

And think of this. If Bruce Allen and the danny can't convince anyone to come here, then we're left with a coach that has been de-nutted and publicly humiliated around the league.

Great motovation there

Allen's presence would have been enough for some of the hotter assistants in 2008 to come to Washington.

The reluctance at the time was Vinny and Dan working alone.

Nobody wanted to enter that Bermuda Triangle.

Everyone seems to forget the Raiders front office did find and hire Jon Gruden.

Not a bad hire from the assistant ranks :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

True, and going with a hot assistant might not be a bad way to go in any case.

I still think though that going with Shanahan is the best way of ensuring that Snyder doesn't backslide into meddling on the personnel side.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

If the rumors are true and Shanahan wants Dallas or Houston as his first choice and would only come to DC as a secondary choice then I don't want the man here.

I want a coach that wants to be here and wants to win here.

Shanahan would rather go to Dallas, fine. Let him go there and we'll beat his team and he'll have to put up with Jerry Jones.

Shanahan wants the Texans gig, plain and simple. That team is ready to win now...with a great coach, they could win the superbowl next year or the year after.

The Redskins....are gonna need a fair amount of work.

After last nights display, I'd be surprised if Allen didn't slip out of town and leave the Danny holding the bag. Who could blame him.

We're all over the map here :)

First of all, getting someone 'hungry and new' brings along with it the possibility of total failure. Say we bring in Russ Grimm. Yeah - there would be a certain appeal to that. But there's also the possibility he'd be in way over his head and be just as erratic and ineffective as Jim Zorn has been. Finding a successful head coach in the NFL is a lot like finding a franchise QB. You're as liable to stumble onto one as deliberately find one. Just look at how many 'can't lose' prospects from dominant college football programs have utterly failed as NFL head coaches. And how many 'coordinators of the year' from NFL teams get head coaching gigs, but can't keep them. Lets be serious - no one is going to oppose 'finding the next Joe Gibbs' - the problem is, you've got to find him :) You all prepared to go through 2 or 3 more Jim Zorns before we strike gold? I don't think so.

I am. I think the best Shanahan can offer is enhanced mediocrity with the occasional playoff berth, about what we got out of Gibbs II. I want more.

I think characterizing Shanahan as a 'retread' is off base frankly. As someone astutely pointed out, there were a lot of years of John Elway - but it took Shanahan to get them a Super Bowl win with him. The guy knows how to coach. A lot of the negatives associated with Shanahan rise from the fact that Denver dumped him. But we all know, sometimes coaches (no matter how good) just run their course with a franchise. I think that was the case with Denver. And I suspect a few years removed from being 'the guy' for an NFL team results in its own kind of hunger. If Shanahan does get the gig, he's going to have something to prove and his reputation will be on the line. In some ways, he'd have more pressure on him than a rookie NFL coach - because the last job he had, he lost, and now has to show that was a mistake. The difference is, unlike our current head coach, a guy like Shanahan knows all about those kinds of pressures and can handle them.

I can't think of a coach that has won a Super Bowl with two different franchises. I'd be surprised to see it happen, and don't think Shanahan would be the first to get it done if it did happen. Holmgren and Parcells managed a trip to the Super Bowl with a second team, but neither won it. I think that's the best we could hope for, and I think it would be a faint hope at that with Shanahan. Yes he can coach, but I think the fire doesn't burn as bright as it once did.

Finally - we're all missing one point. There may be better coaches than Shanahan out there - a few anyway. But they don't want to come to DC, and for good reason. Count me as one who believes we'd be extremely fortunate to get a coach of Shanahan's ability and experience, given who and where the Redskins are, and our current ownership.

That may be, which is all the more reason to go for someone unproven, because they're more likely to want the job to prove themselves much the way Marvin Lewis ended up in Cincinnatti.

Coaches who have TAKEN two teams to Super Bowls ...

Bill Parcells
Dick Vermeil
Mike Holmgren

None have won it to my knowledge ... I'm old though, so I may have forgotten.

Thing is ... given what this franchise has been through since 1992, if the question is whether I'd rather our next coach be

1) some young hotshot coordinator who may turn out to be the next Joe Gibbs 1.0 or, statistically far more likely, the next Rick Venturi (exactly), or

2) Mike Shanahan, who has already shown he can not only coach in the NFL, but coach a back-to-back Super Bowl champion ...

Sorry. To me the choice could not be more clear.

It's not about loving Mike Shanahan, it's about restoring basic professionalism to a franchise that has wandered so far off the path it's in danger of disappearing over the horizon.

Relax people.

Mike Holmgren just took the Cleveland job. They are 2-12 and are in a city and climate that is hard to draw free agents.

The cupboard there didn't scare Holmgren off, no more so than the one here would to any coach with an ego.

Shanahan has an ego.

Again, the one reason he won't go to Dallas is Jerry Jones made himself the official GM.

That means there is really very little compromise there while with Allen here Shanahan is getting the GM he says he wanted.

Jones is his own worst enemy. He drove Parcells out of town and takes credit for Parcells' moves while a number of his own like signing Terrell Owens and resigning safety Roy Williams to a big contract in 2006 blew up in his face.

I searched google and couldn't find it, but Larry said on the radio last night that Holmgren agreed to a 10 year 50mil contract. Is that true?

I searched google and couldn't find it, but Larry said on the radio last night that Holmgren agreed to a 10 year 50mil contract. Is that true?

I've seen several posts saying that mostly on fan boards in a "I heard that..." format, which usually means unconfirmed rumor, so basically I'm taking it an an unconfirmed rumor until verified.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.