• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Defense!

Cole Holcomb looks like he's a decent football player....

I've heard a lot of fans/experts state emphatically (including a couple good friends here) that Holcomb isn't big enough or strong enough to be an NFL starter.

They're wrong.

The guy is flat out a football player and a baller and the defense is different when he is healthy and playing. You won't convince me otherwise.

So i did a little looking to confirm this and folks....

Passing YPG - 1st
Rushing YPG - 17th
Total YPG - 4th

Points per game - 11th

We've played two bad teams the last two weeks, and the good teams have clearly done what they've wanted to against us for the most part. That said... there is a clear uptick in production of this defense. Zeke had 12 carries for 45 yards... 3.8 ypc avg. Part of that was that we were in control and they couldn't really RUN the ball, but they didnt abandon it either. They came out of halftime still attempting to run the ball and we shut it down.

Defensive rankings through week 7 - Passing.png
Defensive rankings through week 7 - Rushing.png
Defensive rankings through week 7 - Points.png
Defensive rankings through week 7 - Total.png

Last edited:
Good read and finish by Curl here

Zeke was not at full speed, but Curl made a good read, patient until Zeke picked his hole, and attacked.

Fair point, but it still comes back to playing the 2 best running qbs in the NFL. I agree, well I hope, we start to climb the rankings

I found this which you might enjoy:

In their ranking system, QB scrambles don't count as rushing plays. Therefore the WFT run defense is ranked #13. After this last week the WFT is now 11th in rush yards allowed.

They also have the passing defense ranked #2. They are also #2 in passing yards allowed.

The Cowboys made the defense look good. Hopefully they can keep it up against the similarly woeful Giants (although somehow we managed to lose to them anyway).

The team is 11th in opponent scoring per game at 23.6 points/gm. If the offense wasn't contributing to that number they'd be even better.

With an offense as inept as Washington's, 23.6 points/gm won't be good enough to win most games (Washington is ranked #30 in scoring offense at 19 ppg).

I found this which you might enjoy:

In their ranking system, QB scrambles don't count as rushing plays. Therefore the WFT run defense is ranked #13. After this last week the WFT is now 11th in rush yards allowed.

They also have the passing defense ranked #2. They are also #2 in passing yards allowed.

The Cowboys made the defense look good. Hopefully they can keep it up against the similarly woeful Giants (although somehow we managed to lose to them anyway).

The team is 11th in opponent scoring per game at 23.6 points/gm. If the offense wasn't contributing to that number they'd be even better.

With an offense as inept as Washington's, 23.6 points/gm won't be good enough to win most games (Washington is ranked #30 in scoring offense at 19 ppg).

Sneaky effective. The only reason Dal scored 3 was because of a long kick return... NYG's only offensive TD came off the INT where the drive started at OUR 27 yard line. The defense has played 8 really good quarters, and a lot of the stuff prior to that can be contributed to turnovers (Cleveland) and a short field (LAR). 2nd half drive chart vs the Rams is just riddled with 3 and outs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220269#gp-playbyplay-40122026912

Holcomb is the best linebacker we have.

Jeremy Reaves?

I think our safety room needs a veteran presence and a player with a higher football IQ.

We are going to be even more vulnerable in the middle of the field.

Eric Reid to me was the pick here to help the defense for the balance of 2020.

Another quick write-up on the defense

If this upward trending continues I guarantee Del Rio gets a HC position offered this offseason. Hopefully the staff is anticipating this and training the position coaches up as well.

How many players successfully come back from an Achilles tear? It doesn't seem like many are able to. Gotta wonder if he'll be back, and if so, whether (setting aside criticism of his game even when healthy) he'll ever be the same.

the last one that stands out to me is D. Hall and he was never the same. In fact I remember he tore it a 2nd time after it was repaired when he was in the kitchen making lunch or something. Hall was older... but it's not something I'm fully confident in. It's like Achilles is the new ACL.

HC Ron Rivera on the safety position: I wanted to give [Jeremy] Reaves an opportunity. I’m one of those guys that—if you come to training camp, you work your butt off, you do everything that you’re supposed to, you deserve that opportunity before anybody else. That’s what I was kind of doing with Jeremy.

He earned that right. He earned my respect as far as having gone through camp, not complaining, and doing things the right way. I wanted to give him a chance to be a part of the 53 and see where he is.”

What we really need against NY is for Sweat and especially Young to get to Jones and force turnovers.

Yes, the defense has played well this year especially after the crap we saw here from Greg Manusky.

But this is a game our D should dominate and lead the way to a win.

NY is without Barkley and Shepard and if we let Wayne Gallman run on us and catch passes then we deserve to lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.