• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Taylor Heinicke Discussion

The most disappointing thing to me about Heinicke?

For as much as it's promoted that TH has all this experience in this offense and supposedly knows it like the back of his hand, he sure does miss alot of reads on the field.
Now I know that even guys like Mahomes and Brady miss some reads each game,it's not at the volume TH seems to be missing.
The analysis each week seems to always be "TH needs to make the layups"...so if you know the offense THAT well, how are you missing them to begin with?
Is it in his desire to make the big play,he turns those looks down or is it physical limitation(he can't see)?

He's had like 4 years in this offense and more than enough starts that you'd think we'd see improvement in that aspect.

Boone's been saying it and I've come around to it...If Taylor had another level to his game,we'd have seen it by now.

Try to resign him(reasonably) because he's the perfect backup...someone who can come in and steady the boat until your starter gets back.

Hoping for a good flash from TH on Sunday Night...........

I do believe it's his stature that is the primary issue. He simply can't see over the line. He has 3 or 4 passes every game batted down. You can't hit open guys if you can't see them. I think, not being on the field and getting an appreciation for just how much bigger the guys in front of him and across the LOS are, we underestimate the impact of that. That's another reason to let him go, suddenly guys he couldn't see from the pocket are visible.

I do believe it's his stature that is the primary issue. He simply can't see over the line. He has 3 or 4 passes every game batted down. You can't hit open guys if you can't see them. I think, not being on the field and getting an appreciation for just how much bigger the guys in front of him and across the LOS are, we underestimate the impact of that. That's another reason to let him go, suddenly guys he couldn't see from the pocket are visible.

To that point, we've heard the comments that he can't see over the line... that he's throwing to a spot because he knows where the WR is 'supposed' to be. It likely effects DPs point about missing the layups. He's trusting his knowledge of the offense instead of truly analyzing the defense, which would cause him to progress further down the list of the reads and maybe getting to that 3rd read where Gibby is WIDE OPEN in the flat with nobody in front of him. He doesn't always get a chance to get that far in the process of a play because he's trusting the matchup instead of truly seeing the coverage.

Taylor is being told to be conservative with the ball IMO by the coaches.

With Wentz Washington was top 5 in negative turnover differential and was sitting at 1-4.

Over the last 6 games Washingto is top 5 in positive turnover differential and is 4-1-1.

That’s the bottom line.

Could the team take more chances? Let Taylor roll out and feature what HE does well in terms of making plays? Yes.

But because Washington has either been ahead or close in these games Turner doesn’t feel the need to take risks.

I think the offense can both be more productive and still protect the ball with #4 under center but it would require scripting plays that Turner is not in love with running.

Shanahan and other successful offensive coaches like Reid match scheme to talent.

But to do that you have to be very confident in yourself as coach and play caller.

It easier saying ‘what we do works’ and sticking to the familiar.

Yes - but CAN he play better? He’s had a lot of opportunities to do so the past 2 years and how often has he really played well?

No, he can't play better. He is what he is and that's not good enough when it matters. He has 1 game this year where he didn't turn the ball over and that was Houston. Plus, he's had a lot of dropped INTs that even Collinsworth tonight called pixie dust. I wanted to see what he could do against the Giants again, on the biggest stage when it mattered most. That first turnover was tough and I didn't want to be too hard on him, but he gave the Giants a TD, which was also the margin in the game. The second turnover, he has to protect the ball if he's going to run around instead of throwing it away to preserve a FG.

I was curious as to what his stats were in goal to go situations. Inside the 10, he is 5-15 with 3 TDs no INTs. Derek Carr is the only regular starter with a worse completion percentage at 31% (9-29), but Carr has 7 TDs and 2 INTs. Wentz was better, but not a world beater: 6-12 with 4 TDs and the 1 INT we all remember against Tennessee. To be fair, I think the problems inside the 10 are more related to play calling, but Heinicke isn't helping either.

Playcalling that is mostly predicated on what TH can and can’t do :)

Playcalling that is mostly predicated on what TH can and can’t do :)
I think this is only partly true. Heinicke's skillset limits Turner, but what really handcuffs him is his lack of imagination. Who else says, "I have a mobile QB and will never take advantage of that mobility?" or says, "I have a strong armed QB so I will only call slow developing plays and completely ignore the run game despite my oline being pathetic.

I'm not saying the playcalling can't improve. But we seem to want to blame everyone except the guys on the field. There was quite a bit of creative playcalling last night, we just didn't execute the plays. And I have to believe one of the reasons they are reluctant to roll Heinicke or use him as a runner (unfortunately on display again tonight) is that he doesn't protect the ball and gives it up when hit. A lot. They let him use his feet last night more than any time this season.

I'm not arguing with anyone over this one. We lost this game to a less talented team (note I didn't say inferior) on multiple fronts.

Fair. And it wouldn’t be hard to put this loss on Heinicke. First fumble put seven points on the Giants board. Second fumble took away at least an easy field goal attempt.
In a game this close, you can’t turn it over like that and hope to win.

It's not either/or, right? Why are you calling anything other than a run or a quick pass in that part of the field. And then the execution was terrible.

I’m still waiting on one more jet sweep action from Samuels. The next one will work, I just know it!

I’m still waiting on one more jet sweep action from Samuels. The next one will work, I just know it!

I was going nuts every time they handed the ball to him after the 2nd one. It wasn’t working, throw that out. His final rushing stat line was 5 carries, 1 yd. I’m amazed he had 1 yd because it seemed like they were all losses.

I’m glad that Taylor was able to put the tough loss behind him. 😎

Come for Taylor short-arming the can toss, stay for Tress pulling an Oshie.

My brother was at the game and texted me they were there. While I think a lot of this is usually overblown by fans, I would be too embarrassed to show my face around town after the game Sunday.

My brother was at the game and texted me they were there. While I think a lot of this is usually overblown by fans, I would be too embarrassed to show my face around town after the game Sunday.

Well…1 ounce for every point scored though. 😉

My only question is, did he intend to let that beer can go or was it more of a fumble?

I don’t agree with making a big thing of things like this - but he’s not in a fraternity. If I were an NFL QB, especially one barely hanging on to what could be my last starting opportunity, getting shit-faced in public and on the plane ride home probably wouldn’t be the image I want out there. But hey - that’s me :)

Ranking 32nd out of 32 starting QBs in the NFL is not a good thing. That is Heinicke, but The Hive insists that he is the best since Colt Brennan. The Cult of Colt has morphed to the Heinicke Hive.

Bah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.