• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Taylor Heinicke Discussion

The pixie dust comment is probably the fairest assessment of Taylor. What separates him isn’t his escability (above average) arm (below average) accuracy (below average) or football smarts (average?), but his luck.

How many more picks should he have? How many miraculous catches into triple coverage have his receivers stolen? I remember thinking at one point that Heinicke was the perfect case study in whether it’s better to be good than lucky?

The focus is on Heinicke here - can't post it without the other tweet.

I remember thinking at one point that Heinicke was the perfect case study in whether it’s better to be good than lucky?

Let me save us years of scientific research.

It’s better to be good.

Btw - Om does all the great Sons of Washington forum banners :notworthy:

I saw one with the play next to Demi and Swayze and decided to expand on it a little lol. If you don’t laugh you’ll cry…

I especially like the addition of the two Dallas Cowboy fans. 🫡

Beyond time for a switch.

Love Heinicke but he's the ultimate back up. Can come in and get you through 2-3 games until the starter gets back.

Wentz isn't the answer imo, but at least he has an actual NFL arm and enough size to see over the line.
Would rather go with Howell but Ron doesn't have the cajones to make that kind of move this late.

It's a shame. They have weapons with speed but can't effectively use them with the QB,OL and OC they currently employ.

Doesn't sound like a guy who is planning on sticking around...

Doesn't sound like a guy who is planning on sticking around...

Maybe, maybe not. If he is going to the free agency market, he has to show he is willing to walk. Even if he wants to stay, he has to play hard to get so that he can get the most money. If he goes elsewhere, good luck to him. I won’t shed a tear. I’ll be more worried about who is the QB in DC.

Conventional wisdom is that moving away from the Turner offense lessens the likelihood he’s back - although he would have to learn a new offense no matter where he signed…

I additionally heard folk bemoaning that Howell will have to learn a new offense. Better now than later, to me.

They don’t seem to care much about the impact on Howell. It’s likely going to be an offense he has to learn, and then most likely have to mentally cleanse and start over with a 3rd offense in 2024 assuming a new owner cleans house. Doesn’t seem like that is helpful in terms of growing a young QB but that’s just my opinion. The next 2 years aren’t going to be pretty.

If he is as smart as they say he is, having until September to ‘get it‘ shouldn’t be a problem.

I wonder how really different most good NFL offenses are. I think teaching ability, game planning and play calling is where the line of separation is. (If execution is static.)

Last edited:
They don’t seem to care much about the impact on Howell. It’s likely going to be an offense he has to learn, and then most likely have to mentally cleanse and start over with a 3rd offense in 2024 assuming a new owner cleans house. Doesn’t seem like that is helpful in terms of growing a young QB but that’s just my opinion. The next 2 years aren’t going to be pretty.
On the other hand, I'm not sure you really want Howell learning Turner's offense unless we can force all the defenses to play early 1990's playbooks.

I get it. But learning an entirely new offense is not a minor thing. For anyone, Nevermind a 2nd year guy whose played one game. I guess it is what it is.

Maybe, maybe not. If he is going to the free agency market, he has to show he is willing to walk. Even if he wants to stay, he has to play hard to get so that he can get the most money. If he goes elsewhere, good luck to him. I won’t shed a tear. I’ll be more worried about who is the QB in DC.
For two years, Rivera's refrain at the end of the season has essentially been, "We got no QB. Gotta upgrade."

I understand why Heinicke would feel conflicted. This team gave him his chance and let him live his NFL dream, but it also keeps saying it doesn't want him. In my book, Hienicke has proven he belongs in the league. Probably as a really coveted back up, but maybe as a starter on a team that believes that can scheme around his strengths better. I mean he is an NFL starter just a bottom third starter who when he's hot is pretty good. It's pretty amazing to think of the teams he's beaten.

I get it. But learning an entirely new offense is not a minor thing. For anyone, Nevermind a 2nd year guy whose played one game. I guess it is what it is.
I guess the other question is... given he was a third string practice squad guy.... Did he really get a chance to learn Turner's system? I'm sure he studied the hell out of the playbook, but the amount of coaching and reps he got might actually have been pretty minimal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.