• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahans = Brain Dead Coaching

Of course, if we run it, and Morris fumbles, everyone would be bitching because they think we should have surprised them with a pass play.

The only plays everybody likes, are the ones that work.

As has been the case most of the time this year. The lack of execution doomed the play. Not the play itself.

I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but I would not hold the position that Griffin is destined to revisit the success the offense had in 2012 and he is a short stroke away from being a consistently elite qb in the NFL.

Talk about learning the position? Talk about Cousins throwing picks?

Have you watched Griffin this year trying to throw slants and basic out patterns? Have you seen his footwork? His inability to survey the entire field even when he has time and focus on his first read? How many times has Griffin failed to read the blitz and get the ball out quick to the hot read and taken sacks instead?

The other point is, you give Griffin so far what 24-25 games in the NFL to get experience, you give Cousins 2.5 games and then you are going to compare them?

That's a joke.

If you looked at Elway's numbers from his rookie season you would have traded him for the rights to Jay Schroeder :laugh:

I hear ya man but I'd say that if nothing else is a huge indictment of the coaching here. The Kid has visibly regressed in ways that don't seem to have anything to do with the knee. He was doing all those things last year.

Again, I think this point of view is absurd.

You could have a team line up for a 59 yard field goal and have the kicker miss it and blame him for the loss, saying 'we were right there and we merely needed to execute the play'. But the odds on a FG of that length are less than 50%.

Or you could be more reasonable and ask the question of whether the odds on converting such a play are high enough to throw the dice on?

If you have an Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees at quarterback then perhaps you take the chance on the two point conversion.

But this team right now is starting in essence a 'rookie' quarterback who is playing without his top red zone threat in Jordan Reed and with the only tall receiver, Hankerson, on IR.

It's not the play in isolation, but WHEN you are running it and WITH WHICH PLAYERS that determine whether it was a good call or not.

Of course, if we run it, and Morris fumbles, everyone would be bitching because they think we should have surprised them with a pass play.

Not me. I'd be pissed at Morris for fumbling, but happy about the playcall.

And if it worked, many would be saying how smart it was to go for it.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Absurd? Because you disagree? Give me a break.

Good for you. But you can't prove it.

I'm pretty sure my track record of criticizing Kyle for calling too many passing plays at inappropriate times is proof enough, but whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel more important.

I'm pretty sure my track record of criticizing Kyle for calling too many passing plays at inappropriate times is proof enough, but whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel more important.
No need to get smarmy there, Skippy. Let's not get into track records.

The fact the Redskins after the one point conversion would have tied the score at 27 after committing 7 turnovers in the game, give me some confidence that playing a 15 minute overtime period that Washington would have a decent chance of winning the football game.

The Falcons were not dominating the Redskins with gaudy offensive numbers. There was no reason to believe that the game was 'over' if we went to overtime and the Falcons were to get the ball first.

This reminds me a bit of Barry Switzer's decision to go for a fourth and one on his own 25 yard line with Dallas because he wanted to end the game without the other team getting the ball to score the winning points.

They didn't make it and lost possession deep in their own territory.

After the game Emmitt Smith said about the play 'yep, Einstein's play didn't work out that well for us today'.....ridiculing the decision.

It's a given in the NFL that you don't go for fourth and one on your own side of the 50 unless you are behind in the fourth quarter.

Same thing here. You dont' go for 2 points with a chance to tie with a point after conversion.

Come on guys. Let's try and be civil. None of US are responsible for the Redskins sucking.

You get smarmy, you're going to get smarmy in return.
Ha Ha!

Ok, poor you.

I apologize from the depths of my soul for picking on you. I never knew a fact could be so cruel.

May the feasts of a thousand songbirds brighten your day.

Ha Ha!

Ok, poor you.

I apologize from the depths of my soul for picking on you. I never knew a fact could be so cruel.

May the feasts of a thousand songbirds brighten your day.

Poor me? It was you that just got butthurt over a post, not me. You get what you give, Ax. You should know that by now.

If Jim Zorn had done the same thing in 2009 my feeling is 98% of the folks here would have ridiculed him for being an idiot.

Shanahan at 61 is a shell of his former self as a coach. He has had all kinds of clock management and replay challenge issues over the past 3 years and his call yesterday was not playing the odds on a team for which not much has come easily this season.

It sometimes feels as if Kyle and Mike Shanahan call plays while forgetting who is executing them.

They seem to think Elway or Matt Schaub in his prime are out there to get the job done.

By going for the conversion, you take the win/loss out of the 'team' category and place all the blame on the young qb who overall was very competitive in the game and deserved better than being the goat?

In answer to some of the folks here, NO play is in and of itself a bad one. But coaching judgment comes from the intersection of experience and circumstances.

Joe Gibbs didn't give Jay Schroeder the entire playbook to execute in 1985 when he took over for an injured Joe Theismann for good reason, the 24 year old was not ready for it.

Joe kept it simple over those last 6 games and focused on what the kid did well (throw deep off play action) and the team went 5-1.

You have to adjust your thinking based on who is out there on the field.

Last year, that play would probably have worked because Griffin offered the threat of the run to convert the 2 points so the defense would have had to 'spy' Robert and that would have opened up a coverage in the end zone.

But Kirk while mobile is not as much of a threat to beat the defense to the edge.

With Reed and Hankerson out, that took 2 of the top 4 receiving threats on the team out of the game.

That is another point in consideration of what to do on that play.

From Dan Steinberg's "Best & Worst" column:

Best Decision: Much love to Mike Shanahan for going for the two-point conversion and the win when Washington scored with less than 20 seconds remaining. That’s possibly the only decision of his I’ve agreed with over the last week. Or maybe month. Or season. I know many disagreed with this one, too, but what’s more common in the NFL: seven-point underdogs winning on the road, or teams converting two-point conversions? It’s the latter. With the offense cruising and Kirk Cousins in rhythm, go win the game.

Redskins-Falcons best and worst

Good for Steinberg. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of the NFL vs. his.

Tony Dungy thought it was a bad decision that took the momentum away from a team that had been in a tailspin but seemed more than willing to continue to fight to win this game.

Good for Steinberg. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of the NFL vs. his.

Tony Dungy thought it was a bad decision that took the momentum away from a team that had been in a tailspin but seemed more than willing to continue to fight to win this game.

They had the momentum though, and they went with it. If they lost it there, who's to say they'd have continued it in overtime? They turned the ball over seven times in regulation...ball security was definitely a problem. You have the ball with the chance to win and nothing on the line, you take it. End of story.

In my mind, you tie the score and MAKE Atlanta beat you in a 15 minute overtime.

The fact the Falcons were only at 27-26 after getting the gift of 7 turnovers mitigates against the thought that the Falcons were going to win this game quickly in overtime or had the edge there.

To me on a 3-10 team obviously morale is at or near a low. By playing the odds and winning the game straight up could have acted as a springboard for the final two weeks and perhaps a better finish.

Now, its just another failure that has to be explained away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.