• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahans = Brain Dead Coaching

I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but I would not hold the position that Griffin is destined to revisit the success the offense had in 2012 and he is a short stroke away from being a consistently elite qb in the NFL.

No, but one can say Griffin is capable of playing at a much higher level than he did this year, because we saw it.

Very recently.

One can only make assumptions about Cousins.

Talk about learning the position? Talk about Cousins throwing picks?

Have you watched Griffin this year trying to throw slants and basic out patterns? Have you seen his footwork? His inability to survey the entire field even when he has time and focus on his first read? How many times has Griffin failed to read the blitz and get the ball out quick to the hot read and taken sacks instead?

The other point is, you give Griffin so far what 24-25 games in the NFL to get experience, you give Cousins 2.5 games and then you are going to compare them?

That's a joke.

What's funny about this is that you are only putting this argument forth in one direction. Apparently only Griffin is capable of regressing when opposing defenses get accustomed to his tendencies.

You look at Griffin after 24-25 games and Cousins after 2.5 and compare them?

That's a joke. :)

Perhaps we should wait and see how Cousins handles himself as a bonfire starter. A player that other teams game plan for and have game tape of, a player that gets banged around when the OL has a bad day or plays a top five defense, or ... I don't know ... blows out his knee. Perhaps we should see how he handles adversity and the glaring spotlight of being The Guy before comparing him to Griffin, yes?

Assumptions based on Cousins and his capabilities from two starts against the 5-11 Browns and 4-10 Falcons are not going to hold a lot of weight for me.

If you looked at Elway's numbers from his rookie season you would have traded him for the rights to Jay Schroeder :laugh:

Oh I would, would I?

And you would have named Bubby Brister the starter in 1999 because for four games in 1998 he had a higher rating than Elway.

So there. :)

Last edited:
Now, its just another failure that has to be explained away.

Whether we win or lose our last 3 games is entirely irrelevant. Team 'morale' isn't going to be improved because we beat another horrible team on overtime, any more than if we had made the 2 pt conversion. The only thing that's going to alleviate the drama in DC and possibly return some positive energy to the lockerroom is a total redo of this coaching staff.

I think yesterday was mostly a positive one for the Redskins even with 7 turnovers. We got to see the offense move the ball, saw further evidence that we have 2 decent QBs, and the defense was improved. I wasn't that disappointed with the loss - I was just happy to see the team stand up and fight to come back and have a chance at the end. I suspect there are a lot if Skins fans who felt the same way. I just don't see that call being some huge indicator of incompetence (or when stacked up against all of the other examples of poor decision-making, for me it's barely on the radar).

Well, to me it's just decision #254 on the list of poor coaching decisions over the past 4 years. If it was a blip on the radar screen I would agree it should quickly be forgotten. But Shanahan has had so many brain farts its become part of the norm, just as the bad special teams have been.

Boone said:
Whether we win or lose our last 3 games is entirely irrelevant. Team 'morale' isn't going to be improved because we beat another horrible team on overtime, any more than if we had made the 2 pt conversion. The only thing that's going to alleviate the drama in DC and possibly return some positive energy to the lockerroom is a total redo of this coaching staff.

Exactly. I didn't see going for two as an indication of anything. Hell, I assumed we were going to do it, to be honest.

You've got two crap teams playing for a game that means not a whole lot. That's the time to roll the dice a little.

if that's true, and its time to roll the dice, then how come Shanahan is NOT going to put Minnifield, Compton, Gettis, LeRibeus, Jenkins, etc on the field to see what they have to offer for 2014? :)

see, while you can say we are at a time of the season where wins and losses are not that important per se, in some important ways Shanahan is not managing these games as if that is the case.

if that's true, and its time to roll the dice, then how come Shanahan is NOT going to put Minnifield, Compton, Gettis, LeRibeus, Jenkins, etc on the field to see what they have to offer for 2014? :)

see, while you can say we are at a time of the season where wins and losses are not that important per se, in some important ways Shanahan is not managing these games as if that is the case.

I don't disagree with you - why we aren't giving some of these players on-the-field time is mystifying.

some of this is amusing beyond belief. Shanahan is an idiot: so sayith the same folks who were bubbling with positive thoughts about a coach who took essentially the same roster on an un-likely 7 game run into the playoffs.

yes…losing sucks. yes, Shahanan will be out of town eventually. the argument is really over when and how the drama plays out.

I am amused by how frequently some of you are amused by any thought that doesn't align with yours.

Well, to me it's just decision #254 on the list of poor coaching decisions over the past 4 years. If it was a blip on the radar screen I would agree it should quickly be forgotten. But Shanahan has had so many brain farts its become part of the norm, just as the bad special teams have been.

I agree. In the big picture though, this bad decision/brain fart isn't even in the top 20 compared to some of the others.

If we were in a playoff run we all know he'd have kicked it. We were 3-10, 3-11 isn't any worse. In fact 3-11 might be perfect if Shanahan is trying to hook up his buddy Fisher on the way out here. Fisher did hook us up in 2012.

There's a difference between gambling for a win and throwing your hands up and saying '**** it. This is a pre-season game.' Going for two was still trying to win the game.

That said, since we've already decided to treat these games like they don't matter by putting our backup QB in, I do see an argument for putting in more backups (especially at LT after Williams got dinged. Is there any real reason to have him limp back onto the field at this point?) But if you do that, you'd better be prepared to lose game to crap teams by 30 points. I don't really consider that the same as going for two vs. playing for overtime.

i feel like if you tried to take away anything from that game other than how cousins looked you're lacking perspective.

or it could be me that's lacking perspective.

#progressioning

i feel like if you tried to take away anything from that game other than how cousins looked you're lacking perspective.

or it could be me that's lacking perspective.

#progressioning

Matt Flynn once threw 6TDs in a single game, and could probably throw the football over them there mountains. But look at him now; cut from the RAIDERS for Matt McGloin, cut from the Seahawks for god knows who, and back on the Packers only because Rodgers got injured. One game means nothing in the NFL.

I am amused by how frequently some of you are amused by any thought that doesn't align with yours.

yes…well…..a perfect thought for a broadcast medium!!

good to see so many can follow the thinking of others. there is promise in the future afterall!

Well, as Doc Walker said the other afternoon, in the end we don't know 100% is going on behind closed doors at Redskins Park, but we DO know the product on the field shows what the team is working on doesn't work.

And that's the bottom line.

Shanahan drafted Griffin. In his contract he has total control from what we understand. So, in the end if he scouted and drafted Griffin and it turns out he can't get along with him or work collaboratively with him, it was either a poor job of interviewing and evaluating the prospect's ability to mature in the NFL or it is a poor job of coaching and communication with the player.

Either way the smell comes from something Shanahan is carrying around on his shoes.

At this point, Shanahan is trying not to suffer any more season-ending injuries. Another potentially 15-minute quarter just adds to the likelihood that someone is going to go down with an injury, and what if they're gone for the first half of next season? Not worth it. At 3-10, no chance of playoffs, you end the game right there. I agree with his decision.
My thoughts exactly. I was yelling "You SUCK Shanahan" (picking my spots so hopefully loud enough to be heard over the crowd) throughout the game but I agree with his call here. The only thing I'd maybe quibble with is whether we should have set up for the PAT and then gone for it.

is it wrong that I felt happy that Josh Wilson got trucked? That it helped me heal just a little from all the weeks of shitty coverage he has provided and that I giggled when I saw it was him getting posterized?
Thought I was the only one.

Well, as Doc Walker said the other afternoon, in the end we don't know 100% is going on behind closed doors at Redskins Park, but we DO know the product on the field shows what the team is working on doesn't work.

And that's the bottom line.

Shanahan drafted Griffin. In his contract he has total control from what we understand. So, in the end if he scouted and drafted Griffin and it turns out he can't get along with him or work collaboratively with him, it was either a poor job of interviewing and evaluating the prospect's ability to mature in the NFL or it is a poor job of coaching and communication with the player.

Either way the smell comes from something Shanahan is carrying around on his shoes.

no argument with this! I have said all along where I think accountability falls. we just differ on whether he goes at the end of season or end of contract.

Per previous, I would also add in the players. they shoulder a huge responsibility for the z-rated product on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.