• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan on Hot Seat?

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Ah, the wonders of Twitter:

RickMaese Rick Maese
Doubtful Snyder is gonna swallow $28 mill RT @benmaller Florio on Fox Sports Radio reports Mike Shanahan is on hot seat. Snyder likes Gruden

Snyder likes Gruden? :wall:

Yeah, I kind of doubt it too.

Having said that, would anyone be shocked at all if you woke up tomorrow and Shanny was fired?

I believe Shanahan is one and done, or two and done at most. And by that, I mean either quitting or being fired.

I call BS.

I second that. Pure speculation by Florio. Should have won today going away. Gano's choke, a bad snap, questionable playcalling inside the redzone by Kyle.

I was actually a little encouraged today. I still believe things will get better. I'm betting Snyder thinks so too.

Having said that, would anyone be shocked at all if you woke up tomorrow and Shanny was fired?

Yes, I would be completely shocked.

Hopefully Snyder's learned two things.

1) You don't improve your image by screwing over established coaches.

and 2) Even established coaches can't fix a train wreck in one season.

Yes, HOPEFULLY Snyder has learned those two things.

Would I be shocked if he hasn't?

No. Not at all.

There is a quite a bit of fat still to be cut from this roster. Shanahan still needs a fair opportunity and time to mould the team to his liking and according to his vision. At that point, if we see it fails, then we cut ties. Mike has been successful enough in this league to be granted this opportunity and be given the benefit of the doubt. When you look around the league, you can usually associate a particular identity with some of the more successful teams around the league. Ask me what the Redskins identity has been in the last 18 or so years? It's changed so many times, we don't even know who we are anymore or what we want to be for that matter. Honestly, the biggest favour we can do as a fanbase is to get rid of any expectations for the next 2, maybe 3 seasons. For better or worse, let Shanahan ride out his contract and prove himself. At the very least, it might improve our image as a franchise and help us work towards not be viewed as a circus around league circles.

Wow. That's bold. Why do you feel so?

I believe he quit on the team against Philly, and they in turn, quit on him.

I also believe he is now a broken man. I don't believe he has what it takes for the close games anymore, and probably regrets his decision to return.

If that **** happens I'm done with this team

Me too. What's scarry, I noticed Gibbs with this hateful look on his face at the end of the game while Snyder was running his mouth beside him. It just seemed way out of character. I know Gibbs can get mad, but he looked like he was ready to kill.

Anyone notice that?

I believe he quit on the team against Philly, and they in turn, quit on him.

I also believe he is now a broken man. I don't believe he has what it takes for the close games anymore, and probably regrets his decision to return.

IF hare right, and I think that is a big if, that would be devastating to his legacy. There were already rumblings that he only won bc of Elway, I'm not sure his ego could handle him quitting. If Snyder fires him, that would mitigate the damage. But if he just left? Ouch.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm not sure about it being too devastating to his legacy. Gibbs walked after four years, but at least had some success making the playoffs the second time around. I'm not sure how badly that ruined his legacy.

Coaching in the NFL ages people rapidly. Just like the presidency. You can literally see Shanahan aging 3 months, every single week of the regular season.

He just looks beaten to me. Like a boxer who isn't positive that he wants to fight the next round.

Just to elaborate on what i said about Gibbs.

He looked like something was going on in that booth that had him mad as hell. I don't think he was reacting to anything going on on the field. I just don't see him getting that look over the game.

You would have to seen it to know what i'm talking about, but he looked like something had him pissed off to the core.

Another thing, if this rumor-emphasis on the word rumor here-has some validity to it, what NFL HC in their right mind would look at this and not think "God, that's a place that grinds up HCs and spits them out...no way, Charlie!"

Of course, Brad Childress, Wade Phillips, Josh McDaniel, and almost certainly John Fox will be available...maybe even Jeff Fisher, I hear he's on kind of a hot seat himself.:rolleyes:

Uh, Gruden?

Not real hot on that idea.

I'm still not ready to hop on a "Dump Shanny bandwagon"-it smacks too much of a knee-jerk gut reaction and I have an instinctive distrust of those-mine included.

If Shanny leaves McD, I think it solidifies Gibbs' legacy even more. Gibbs has been the only coach who has been able to navigate Snyder successfully.

If Shanny leaves McD, I think it solidifies Gibbs' legacy even more. Gibbs has been the only coach who has been able to navigate Snyder successfully.

I agree with this.

And on the other post, now that you mention it, Gibbs did look sour about something.

I was just happy to see Gibbs, and not Tom Cruise.

Hopefullly it has nothing to do with this rumor. Although, somewhere deep down inside, it would only be natural for Dan to be a little pissed about losing all of that money on Al. He must be second guessing Shanahan, even if just a little.

if its true, I dont want Gruden, I want a young guy who is on the rise and who isnt gonna give up because of a threat to his current legacy, im not sure gruden is that guy. how many guys win a uperbowl and then go on to win somewhere else anyway> not many.

Again, let me reiterate, I really don't see this happening. Having said that, as I was lying down last night, for some reason, an image of Shanahan was stuck in my head. It was Shanny in the rain, looking miserable and old. Maybe it was just the weather, I don't know. But this image of him wasn't even after the botched snap, if I remember right. It was after some relatively mundane play. I don't know, i wonder if he is the man for a rebuild job. I genuinely hope he didn't come in with the attitude that he could draft a franchise LT, add a serviceable QB, and return us to the playoffs, adding a few pieces each subsequent year until he reached the SB.

IF that is what he thought, we may be better off if he leaves,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.