• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan on Hot Seat?

Another thing, if this rumor-emphasis on the word rumor here-has some validity to it, what NFL HC in their right mind would look at this and not think "God, that's a place that grinds up HCs and spits them out...no way, Charlie!"

Of course, Brad Childress, Wade Phillips, Josh McDaniel, and almost certainly John Fox will be available...maybe even Jeff Fisher, I hear he's on kind of a hot seat himself.:rolleyes:

I'm still not ready to hop on a "Dump Shanny bandwagon"-it smacks too much of a knee-jerk gut reaction and I have an instinctive distrust of those-mine included.

Me neither Serv. I am not thrilled with Shanny so far and think he made some fairly substantial errors and miscalculations. I also am not in favor of consistency for consistency's sake alone. However, we have seen flashes on offense enough to excite me. That first half yesterday, excepting the lack of trips to the end zone, was a thing of beauty. When I look at the positions on offense we need help with, they are positions Shanny has generally been strong with. We don't need to spend high draft picks on the O-line, he seems to find contributors late; same with RB and even WR.

I think if he is committed to being here and rebuilding, he can get the job done. But, on the off chance he is not committed, i don't want him here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

hmmmmm.....

1) Snyder made the deal w/AH...not Shanahan. Allen is the one who set up the strategy from a contract pov for this season.

2) Snyder just weathered huge pushback from the fans. He can't afford another round. He's gonna sit tight and give Shanahan a min of 3 years to start squaring things away....IMO

3) Shanahan obviously misjudged the talent level and...per other posts on this board by our savy members.....set upon an initial strategy that had failure built into it. now we get to see how flexible he is in adapting and how accepting he is of "reality".

4) My qualm is whether his ego will undermine his strengths to the long-term detriment of the team......stay tuned for updates on this one!!!!

Me neither Serv. I am not thrilled with Shanny so far and think he made some fairly substantial errors and miscalculations. I also am not in favor of consistency for consistency's sake alone. However, we have seen flashes on offense enough to excite me. That first half yesterday, excepting the lack of trips to the end zone, was a thing of beauty. When I look at the positions on offense we need help with, they are positions Shanny has generally been strong with. We don't need to spend high draft picks on the O-line, he seems to find contributors late; same with RB and even WR.

I think if he is committed to being here and rebuilding, he can get the job done. But, on the off chance he is not committed, i don't want him here.

good post from a fan's pov Goldie. :clap2:

we'll find out this off-season. I wonder if they'll do the smart PR thing and have some sort of "State of the Team" presser where Allen/Shanahan acknowledge the problems/mistakes and outline the high altitude adjustments that will be made as wel las their committment to excellence.

good post from a fan's pov Goldie. :clap2:

we'll find out this off-season. I wonder if they'll do the smart PR thing and have some sort of "State of the Team" presser where Allen/Shanahan acknowledge the problems/mistakes and outline the high altitude adjustments that will be made as wel las their committment to excellence.

That would be a great thing to do. Seems like I was reading a blog somewhere and a very smart man was asking for increased communication from Redskins Park. Where was that again?

:D

I would very much like to see this happen, but doubt it will. All I can hope for is that they have recognized their mistakes and will work to rectify them moving forward.

Me too. What's scarry, I noticed Gibbs with this hateful look on his face at the end of the game while Snyder was running his mouth beside him. It just seemed way out of character. I know Gibbs can get mad, but he looked like he was ready to kill.

Anyone notice that?

I do know Gibbs would cut a kicker after a really bad game so I'm guessing he was probably more furious with our kicking game than anything else. I didn't have a problem with playcalling OR coaching. We got killed by execution yesterday. Dm doesn't throw as many dirt balls and our kicker can make an extra point (24 yarder is an XP basically) and we win the game easily.

I call BS on the OP too. Florio has proven over the years that he knows two things about what goes on inside Redskins park...jack and squat. He obviously has been kept out of the loop in Washington ala the Washington Post...and it irks him bigtime. I've had more than a few personal interactions with the guy and he's basically admitted he's got nothing in Washington that the rest of us don't. He also hated being reminded of the fact that he "predicted" Joe Gibbs stepping down almost every month that he was here for stint #2. Eventually he was right but a stopped clock is right twice a day too. Any and all Redskins things posted by Florio should at the very least be taken with a grain of salt and recognized for not being the bearer of breaking news on this team.

To worry about the kicker on a team that finishes 5-11 is a joke :)

Whether Gano stays or goes is to me about the #3,549 on the list of Redskins action items for 2011.

This club needs an overhaul greater than the one that occurred after 2009.

You can look up and down this roster at all the 30 year old players whose careers are winding down.

For what it's worth, PTI just discussed whether Shanny might be one and done. TK was emphatic that he will be here next year. Wilbon repeatedly asked why would he stay? Wilton seemed to think Shanny might leave of his own accord because he handled the McNabb and Haynesworth situations so poorly and he won't want to stick around and clean it up.

I don't think Shanny will leave, not for a second. It would be damaging to his reputation. Reputation really matters when you are a head coach! If players cannot trust you to stick around, well there goes any momentum you may have. He would be labeled a quitter.

Dan is not going to fire Shanny either. He has acknowledged that he made a mistake with Schottenheimer. IMO, he will not make the same mistake again. Florio does not know Jack!! Of course, neither do I :)

As for Gano. I hope Shanny keeps him because he sees a future in him, not because he is loyal to a fault. Loyalty got him fired in Denver.

For what it's worth, PTI just discussed whether Shanny might be one and done. TK was emphatic that he will be here next year. Wilbon repeatedly asked why would he stay? Wilton seemed to think Shanny might leave of his own accord because he handled the McNabb and Haynesworth situations so poorly and he won't want to stick around and clean it up.

Wilbon & Kornheiser also called the Skins a "dysfunctional, irrelevant franchise" over the past ten years.

I guess they can't remember further back than that.

Well, we have been a dysfunctional and irrelevant franchise over the past twenty years. Yesterday does not mean a darn thing! What have you done for me lately?

70% chance he is one and done.

100% chance he is gone within two years.

All just in my opinion.

Wilbon & Kornheiser also called the Skins a "dysfunctional, irrelevant franchise" over the past ten years.

I guess they can't remember further back than that.

what galls me is that they are absolutely right. We went from a team that announcers would wax eloquent about "the tradition of success and playoffgames" to a team that has people acting as if a single win improvement is reason for celebration.

ask ANY redskin fan who has been here all along what they think of this past decade, im pretty sure all of us agree that we are fed up with this crap. I dont get how the skins franchise maintains value with out on field product the way it is.

I dont get how the skins franchise maintains value with out on field product the way it is.

Easy, they prey on our memories. When that fails they sell all of the tickets we don't buy to fans of other teams every week.

Easy, they prey on our memories. When that fails they sell all of the tickets we don't buy to fans of other teams every week.

:rotflmao: Oh my, is this what it has come to?

Someone, please save this team. Enough is enough already. We need serious help.

70% chance he is one and done.

100% chance he is gone within two years.

All just in my opinion.

I never would have agreed with you before yesterday. And I am still not fully convinced. But I do think it may be more of a possibility than we may want to think. The question is, IF that happens, what the hell do we do? I don't think Shanahan's ego will allow him to step down. However, if we have another three games like the TB or the Giants game, the thought may enter his mind.

I never would have agreed with you before yesterday. And I am still not fully convinced. But I do think it may be more of a possibility than we may want to think. The question is, IF that happens, what the hell do we do? I don't think Shanahan's ego will allow him to step down. However, if we have another three games like the TB or the Giants game, the thought may enter his mind.

What do we do? There isn't much we can do as fans, except to hope for the best.

What would most likely happen? A huge cash bonanza for Gruden. Reunited with Bruce Allen again.

I would strongly prefer someone like Russ Grimm. I just believe there is a shelf life for NFL HCs these days. There is a reason why Vermeil only came back for a few years. Ditto on Gibbs 2 walking away. And there's a reason why Dungy had enough in the driver's seat.

I hope the next HC is younger. And don't confuse younger with unqualified(special shout out to Zorn.)

Last edited:
I see that as unlikely. Snyder thinks he tried the young, hungry assistant when he hired Zorn. I'm totally conjecturing here of course, but i wonder if he will go back to that well again any time soon. Kinda like I am not expecting a dip into the college ranks anytime soon. If Shanny walks, I think Danny will throw an awful lot of money at Chucky, which would not excite me at all, personally. I just don't see him hiring an assistant coach, young or old.

Danny recently said something to the affect of 'he is done with new and young personnel. He will only hire established coaches.' Not an exact quote, but close enough.

So, I agree Goaldeje, that Dan thinks he has tried the hungry assistant and it did not work.

I see that as unlikely. Snyder thinks he tried the young, hungry assistant when he hired Zorn. I'm totally conjecturing here of course, but i wonder if he will go back to that well again any time soon. Kinda like I am not expecting a dip into the college ranks anytime soon. If Shanny walks, I think Danny will throw an awful lot of money at Chucky, which would not excite me at all, personally. I just don't see him hiring an assistant coach, young or old.

If correct, that is pretty depressing. I would love a coach who could be here for ten years. I know that isn't a common occurrence these days, but I would love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.