• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan is Stealing the Money

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
The Redskins were facing a Dallas team with a historically bad defense that was playing without 4 starters today.

In the fourth quarter our offense couldn't sustain one drive that could have finished this game off.

We were done in by the likes of George Selvie and Michael Hayden.

Don't ask who these players are, even Mel Kiper has no idea.

On defense the Redskins showed the are always willing to turn the other cheek.

Two long Cowboys drives with a bushel full of third and fourth down conversions along the way.

No pass rush. No run defense for long stretches either.

I thought the one big trumpeted advantage of the 3-4 was supposed to be an inability to get to the edge on it?

These are the players on both sides of the ball Shanahan the GM went out and acquired.

If someone can explain why we are still playing Josh Wilson when everyone knows he will be gone in 2 weeks please tell me.

Meanwhile guys like Minnifield and Brandon Jenkins apparently will be hidden for the next coach to suit up and play.

This team at 3-12 is worse than the Jaguars and Bills, teams that before the season were subject of rumors about relocation their futures were so bleak.

The defensive play calling down the stretch to rush 4 only was pitiful and cost us the game. Collecting the money? I am not sure. Don't be surprised to see Shanahan get neutered so much that he retires. He said the only way he comes back is complete control of the football team, don't be surprised if Snyder says no.

In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Haslett gets fired by Snyder himself after that 4th and goal conversion to win the game. Snyder was pissed!

That whole sequence..I kept talking to the TV.. "Go get the QB. Don't worry about nothing else. Knock him down and win the game." Then we blitz...no one.

Done. Ball game.

Stupid Haslett.

No one on this team cares, not one person stepped up in the fourth quarter. They could cut this whole damn team and I wouldn't care.

No one on this team cares, not one person stepped up in the fourth quarter. They could cut this whole damn team and I wouldn't care.

I don't believe that's true at all. We lack talent all over the place and poor and timid coaching doesn't help. But for the most part I thought we showed up and played tough most of the game. Result sucked but as soon as we settled for an extra point early when every ounce if logic argues you go for 2, I knew we would lose - most likely by a single point. Ding.

I don't believe that's true at all. We lack talent all over the place and poor and timid coaching doesn't help. But for the most part I thought we showed up and played tough most of the game. Result sucked but as soon as we settled for an extra point early when every ounce if logic argues you go for 2, I knew we would lose - most likely by a single point. Ding.

This just isn't accurate Boone. We had a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter. Jim Haslett took the pressure off Romo that was working all game long. We could not get pressure on Romo with a 4 man rush. Just terrible defensive play calling that killed us, not a single blitz in the 4th quarter. 2 point conversion was not the reason we lost today. I understand the logic, but we had that game locked...in hand and let up off the pressure.

hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin for MS.

I said what I think. You don't agree. Fine. I think it's pretty obvious we lack the talent in the secondary, on the Oline, and on Special Teams to win match ups at key points in the game and that it's not 'no one caring' that is our primary issue. Your primary points, that our defense can't stop anyone when it counts and that our coaching is suspect, are pretty much readily apparent to anyone watching.

I said what I think. You don't agree. Fine. I think it's pretty obvious we lack the talent in the secondary, on the Oline, and on Special Teams to win match ups at key points in the game and that it's not 'no one caring' that is our primary issue. Your primary points, that our defense can't stop anyone when it counts and that our coaching is suspect, are pretty much readily apparent to anyone watching.

Maybe the inaccurate statement was not the correct way to disagree, but the defense was capable of stopping them. They had stopped them all game long until the 4th quarter when Haslett decides to go 4 man rush. Inexplicable.

Everybody wants to blow it up and that's fine.
But what makes you so sure that things will be better when everything that has been tried here has failed and has at times, failed spectacularly?

You guys/gals may not believe this but there is a strong possibility that we fire Shanahan and hire someone worse.

In fact, given Snyder's history, I expect just that to happen.

Redskins=Al Bundy. Failing miserably with only our days at Polk High=1980's to live on.

Sorry for being down and out Gang. Just one of those heart wrenching losses that makes one sit down and question what keeps me hanging on to this team.....

Damn.

I look forward to next season when we might actually have depth at key positions and more of a nfl caliber roster.

If we had gone for two, and made it, we would most likely had ended up in overtime.

Mike Shanahan don't like no stinkin' overtime.

I look forward to next season when we might actually have depth at key positions and more of a nfl caliber roster.

What makes you think that? Because we will have the money to sign special teams players or second string players? Shanahan has made a couple of good acquisitions, but what makes you think they'll spend the money wisely? Pierre Garcon is really the only FA we have signed worth a damn...Willie Parker? Josh Morgan giving up on plays? Larry Johnson?

MS is 6-10, 5-11, 10-6, 3-12 as of now. That is 24-39, what a freaking joke. I firmly believe now that we won last year off of shear heart, despite the coaches. We were at the same point in the season this year, and instead of winning out we are going to lose out. I seem to remember MS giving up on the season then.

This is one of the worst seasons in our history, ever. In 1994 we were 3-13, in 1963 we were 3-11. That put in prospective exactly how bad we are all around.

While I never was one who was overly excited or thrilled with the hiring of Mike Shanahan from the get go, I accepted and embraced it largely because of what came before him. Let's face it, the Jim Zorn experience was a fiasco and Snyder had his hands tied in a sense and needed to go with a name that could bring some instant credibility to an organization that was in peril.

After a 1-10 conference record, an 0-5 division record in arguably the worst division in football, a 2-6 home record, 458 points against in 15 ball games, embarrassing special teams play, and the 2nd worst overall record in the league a season after selling the farm to acquire what you deemed to be the franchise quarterback, Shanahan's past resume will hold very little water with Snyder when all is said and done at the end of the season.

What is imperative going forward at this point is not losing sight of the fact that there are parts to work with and that this doesn't need to take a 5 year rebuild to get things headed back in the right direction. If there is one bright spot in Shanahan's tenure, it's the fact that he equipped this team with some parts that I truly believe can be part of a team that grows into one that is championship caliber. In Griffin, Morris, Garcon, Williams, potentially Reed, and Kerrigan, you have guys that are part of a foundation for success, and attractive selling points for a new coach.

While the Gibbs part 2 era hinted at the fact that past successes doesn't always equate to new found glory for a franchise, the Shanahan years have definitely affirmed it.

Moving forward, it needs to be about finding a coach and management team that has the vision to take the talent we got and using it as a springboard towards long-term success, but also allowing that individual to see his plan through to completion and embracing growing pains that might come along with it. It's time for Snyder to put in the leg work, buckle down, and find a bright mind to lead us back on the right path, as opposed to taking the easy way out by luring big names to our sideline. Most importantly, he can't get his selection wrong, as another failed regime would likely mean the end of the majority of the above mentioned core's stay in D.C. and a "back to the drawing board" scenario as well in terms of player personnel. Then, you'd really have fans standing on the ledge by the masses.

CH, the only thing I think you got wrong there was the need for a coach and management team. More important than anything is a single hire from Snyder. We need a football GM. I like Allen, but he is a part of this mess. We need a guy who will put his team together and stay in the front office...not a coach/GM type. Snyder just cannot be a part of hiring anything other than a solid GM.

The very second I saw the thread title, the first thought in my mind, was "That's DEFINITELY a BT thread" :)

As long as he doesn't steal another 7 Million, I'll be okay with cutting our losses with what he's stolen, and moving on.

Last edited:
There is literally, no worse coaching staff from top to bottom in the entire league. We have the worst coaches in the league.

In time, Shanahan's decision to allow RG3 to destroy his knee last season will not only be widely accepted as the single worst coaching decision in our franchise history, but as the worst coaching decision in the entire league over the last fifty years.

I do see some merit in allowing the RB coach to stay.

Those that are arguing the team simply lacks adequate talent only makes my point that after 4 years Shanahan the GM has failed.

Because Shanahan refuses to just be the head coach his evaluation includes his performance in both roles.

He says we lack adequate depth. Okay here is some depth wasted:

#2 and #4 picks for McNabb.

#3 for Jammal Brown.

#2 for Jarvis Jenkins who was suspended this year and came back to give an uninspired performance at DE.

#3 for Josh LeRibeus. He was inactive for most of the season after coming to camp 60 pounds overweight. Another busted pick.

So, if you exclude the Griffin trade picks and just focus on some others that were blown, you can see why there is no depth on the OL, in the secondary or at DE.

Again, we go back to Shanahan the GM.

The defensive play calling down the stretch to rush 4 only was pitiful and cost us the game. Collecting the money? I am not sure. Don't be surprised to see Shanahan get neutered so much that he retires. He said the only way he comes back is complete control of the football team, don't be surprised if Snyder says no.

In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Haslett gets fired by Snyder himself after that 4th and goal conversion to win the game. Snyder was pissed!

not sure about that El. I think the offense ultimately lost the game - conceding that protecting a nine point lead would be expected of better defenses. First and goal and successive, DUMB penalties take you out of a sure thing? how stupid can they be? which brings me to another theme: this has plagued the Skins since forever - well before Snyder, Shanahan - stupid, stupid penalties at the most inopportune times. bonehead execution by vets who, at this point, should know the basics. yesterday was just another example in a long list: not knowing the plays (how many time have we seen this? cmon guys it's the 15th game of the season); players not keeping to design (route running, holding gaps on defense, etc., etc.); players forgetting to run on the field; QBs not watching the 25 sec clock…..and on and on…just stupid, stupid stuff professional teams do not do. talent is one thing - but I'm beginning to suspect that one consistent Redskin malady is that they simply don't look all that hard at how dimly the light shines in some of these cats. too many coaches over too many years with the same results to conclude this is just coaching. not only stupid - but these guys can't execute. again, forever, it seems we can't hold anyone on 3rd and long. it's a pattern. there is something deeper going on - and part of it, IMO, is simply smarts (or lack thereof).

not only do we lack enough talent relative to other teams, but we're stocking up with a lot of dim wits. and this does point back to the FO and personnel assessment - just like talent assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.