• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Screw you Mike Shannahan!

I can allay folks fears :)

This team talent-wise is VERY far away from even being in the discussion of winning divisions and competing for championships.

Heck, with the slow start we are seeing to the rebuilding process here Kyle Shanahan may be his father's age by the time the Washington Redskins are a favorite again :(

I dont understand why everyone is so pissed at shanahan. From a personnel standpoint he actually hasnt done that bad.

1. Donovan McNabb - Everyone is screaming about how this team used to sign old vets to these huge contracts and have no benefit for the team. McNabb's contract has nothing but TEAM options attached to it. After EVERY season the team has the option to release him with no penalty. Now we also have reduced the amount of need at QB so we can address other issues (Wr, O-Line, D-Line, RB)

2. Devin Thomas - Everyone was up in arms about us releasing him. He has since been released by the Panthers and is a special teamer for the Giants. The Panthers are just as bad with their receivers, if not WORSE! He got beat out by a couple of ROOKIES. I dont know if there are locker room issues or what but something is not right. Another not, please dont tell me he came out and showed us something on Sunday when we got beat by the Giants, cuz all he showed us is exactly what we were using him for... Special Teams, the one bright spot he had this season, and oh yeah, we replaced him with Brandon Banks who has more catches AND yards on offense then Devin did.

3. O-Line - You really think ANYONE could take the Offensive Line we had last year and turn it into something special... NO. What Shanahan has now after this season is a few veterans that have been in the system for a year. We bring in some young guys now and they learn under some guys who have experience.

4. WR - NOBODY is going to win superbowls with the WR's we had coming into the season... but how many guys would have turned Anthony Armstrong into a THREAT!? The guy has been playing semi-pro ball for 3 years. He even walked onto the Cowboys and they cut him... Somebody has been sleepin on this guy and Shanahan pulled the trigger.

5. Clinton Portis - Clinton came out a couple weeks ago and said he would take a pay cut in order to stay with the Skins. He also showed up to all the OTA's and apparently has been working his tail of in practice/camp. He is relatively similar to Albert Haynesworth as far as personalities, but has responded completely differently.

6. Albert Haynesworth - Yes i agree Shanahan should have made this move a LONG time ago, and i personally wouldnt have handled things the way he did. But lets face it, he had a lot to mess with, and now the problem is gone.

Am i saying Shanahan is perfect? NO. Am i saying i agree with everything he's done.. NO.

But it sure seems like the "head scratcher" moves he's made so far have worked out relatively well.

This has been one of the toughest years to be a fan in recent memory, at least for me. Counter-intuitive maybe, but I know Shanahan is a solid coach, and Allen is a capable GM. That this doesn't translate to immediate improvement should be expected, but it's nearly impossible not to have optimistic expectations. I have been livid after at least 3 of our losses this season. And that's really not my style.

So I can understand the urge to rage and rip, even while rationally knowing it's ridiculous to expect success in year one of a huge front office and coaching transition.

Get outa my head!

I've learned to just roll with it but it's been pretty aggravating this year, even with low expectations going in.

Fascinating thread, I kept getting to a point that I'd say "yea I feel that way too" only to read on and flip flop a bit again. I think there is plenty of criticism to go around but I think -as has already been mentioned- that knowing their actual plan going in is essential in order to analyze critically.

If they knew this was a wholesale rebuild that was going to take several years of key purges coupled with acquisitions, then I'd have to say that so far it's been going relatively well, with some exceptions like the 3-4 switch and the Haynesworth saga. I thought we'd be lucky to go 8-8 this year so while it's been painful at times, it's nothing too shocking.

I have to agree with the sentiment that there is no excuse for the 3-4 drama though, and I was one who was scratching my head when they did it...take a top 5 D(or close to it for about the last decade) and completely scrap it for a trendy system that we have exactly zero players suited for...yea it makes tons of sense.:insane: Spin it however you want with things about last year's D being like a sieve when it mattered, that sieve at key times D NEVER came close to setting the all time record for most points allowed in a half. Like a jackass I stayed through that crap for 3 1/2 quarters. I thought the Giants loss a few years ago was bad but this was the most embarrassed I've ever been as a fan of ANY team. No excuse...NONE. Haslett should have been canned after that game...we freakin beat that team in game one in their house and sorry but I don't buy the fluke stuff based on how that game went down. We brought it and punched em in the mouth!

I might have missed it if it's already been mentioned, I skimmed a few posts but I would also like to point out that swollen ego or not Mike Shanahan probably recognized early on how pathetically soft this team was and that it needed a serious disciplinary kick in the ass. The AH thing went a bit far but even now in retrospect I still have to give Shanahan an "atta boy". This team still needs that disciplinarian approach. I swear the Norvaless Norv Club Med, no accountability aura has sunken into the very fibers of the Uniforms...so it's going to take more of this for probably a few more years before the culture of losing and stealing a paycheck are gone once and for all. Maybe that's an aspect to Shanny's approach that isn't being taken into account nearly enough. Remember, until now ANY player could go run to the owner, the buck DIDN'T stop with the HC...only way that changes is with a real hardass, SOB approach from a coach who has the juice to back it up.

I'm willing to wait a few more years before I jump ship and start calling for heads...I did it for that twat Spurrier, it's the least I can do for a guy who's actually a proven commodity on this level and widely regarded by his peers as a Coaching/offensive phenom.

Get outa my head!

I have to agree with the sentiment that there is no excuse for the 3-4 drama though, and I was one who was scratching my head when they did it...take a top 5 D(or close to it for about the last decade) and completely scrap it for a trendy system that we have exactly zero players suited for...yea it makes tons of sense.:insane: Spin it however you want with things about last year's D being like a sieve when it mattered, that sieve at key times D NEVER came close to setting the all time record for most points allowed in a half. Like a jackass I stayed through that crap for 3 1/2 quarters. I thought the Giants loss a few years ago was bad but this was the most embarrassed I've ever been as a fan of ANY team. No excuse...NONE. Haslett should have been canned after that game...we freakin beat that team in game one in their house and sorry but I don't buy the fluke stuff based on how that game went down. We brought it and punched em in the mouth!

I agree with you on this point. Game 1 against Philly we had Landry playing a spy technique on Vick, which kept him somewhat contained. When we got manhandled he was covering Desean Jackson out on an island, which is ridiculous.

I might have missed it if it's already been mentioned, I skimmed a few posts but I would also like to point out that swollen ego or not Mike Shanahan probably recognized early on how pathetically soft this team was and that it needed a serious disciplinary kick in the ass. The AH thing went a bit far but even now in retrospect I still have to give Shanahan an "atta boy". This team still needs that disciplinarian approach. I swear the Norvaless Norv Club Med, no accountability aura has sunken into the very fibers of the Uniforms...so it's going to take more of this for probably a few more years before the culture of losing and stealing a paycheck are gone once and for all. Maybe that's an aspect to Shanny's approach that isn't being taken into account nearly enough. Remember, until now ANY player could go run to the owner, the buck DIDN'T stop with the HC...only way that changes is with a real hardass, SOB approach from a coach who has the juice to back it up.

I'm willing to wait a few more years before I jump ship and start calling for heads...I did it for that twat Spurrier, it's the least I can do for a guy who's actually a proven commodity on this level and widely regarded by his peers as a Coaching/offensive phenom.

I'm with you on this stuff. We have been sitting here saying this team lacks discipline, lacks team pride, lacks structure. We need a guy to come in here and enforce some kind of team mentality. Shanahan has done that. I've stated in other threads that CLINTON PORTIS of all people said he would take a pay cut in order to be on the Redskins next year. These guys are buying into what's going on here... give it time my friends... it's gonna hurt in the process, but we gotta keep the faith.

Like I said earlier in the thread, im willing to give him this offseason, if I continue to see stupid things like trading away draft picks for players who are bandaids, signing the wrong free agents, and continued stupidity in scheming around what we have now as opposed to what we would like to have, then I will scream for shannys head too, but for now I just want a competant DC.

hasletts biggest indictment was not the "amoeba" defence , its not just taking the #5 defence and turning it around to dead last. Its that we beat the Eagles in the first game, and then they set records against us in the second game AFTER A BYE WEEK FOR US TO PREPARE FOR THEM. they found where we were weak and unsound and just went after us hard. that game was easily the most embarrassing game ive seen as a skins fan in my lifetime.

I dont buy the argument that the players are buying in anymore, early on they did and they played with some fire, that more than anything led to the aggressive play and the turnovers, I gave Haslett credit for that (he is known as a motivator type) but I think players now realise that they are not helped by his scheme and we will a lot more players just going through the motions, less turnovers and more beatdowns.

Today will be the watermark, playing a young banged Tampa team thats missing several starters, we should be able to do some stuff. we will see.

Because he's his son and he wants to set him up for success?

the point I was making is that if he takes the team to the playoffs in the short-run...his son IS set-up. doesn't matter whether it's here or someplace else.

Like I said earlier in the thread, im willing to give him this offseason, if I continue to see stupid things like trading away draft picks for players who are bandaids, signing the wrong free agents, and continued stupidity in scheming around what we have now as opposed to what we would like to have, then I will scream for shannys head too, but for now I just want a competant DC.

hasletts biggest indictment was not the "amoeba" defence , its not just taking the #5 defence and turning it around to dead last. Its that we beat the Eagles in the first game, and then they set records against us in the second game AFTER A BYE WEEK FOR US TO PREPARE FOR THEM. they found where we were weak and unsound and just went after us hard. that game was easily the most embarrassing game ive seen as a skins fan in my lifetime.

I dont buy the argument that the players are buying in anymore, early on they did and they played with some fire, that more than anything led to the aggressive play and the turnovers, I gave Haslett credit for that (he is known as a motivator type) but I think players now realise that they are not helped by his scheme and we will a lot more players just going through the motions, less turnovers and more beatdowns.

Today will be the watermark, playing a young banged Tampa team thats missing several starters, we should be able to do some stuff. we will see.

Ry...I'm onboard with ALL of your logic vis the defense. but...at the end of the day...it is this tragically pathetic offense that is costing the team games. these maroons couldn't score a TD if their lives depended upon it. and that...my friends...DOES...with near certain logic...get back to the Shanahans.

Get outa my head!

I've learned to just roll with it but it's been pretty aggravating this year, even with low expectations going in.

Fascinating thread, I kept getting to a point that I'd say "yea I feel that way too" only to read on and flip flop a bit again. I think there is plenty of criticism to go around but I think -as has already been mentioned- that knowing their actual plan going in is essential in order to analyze critically.

If they knew this was a wholesale rebuild that was going to take several years of key purges coupled with acquisitions, then I'd have to say that so far it's been going relatively well, with some exceptions like the 3-4 switch and the Haynesworth saga. I thought we'd be lucky to go 8-8 this year so while it's been painful at times, it's nothing too shocking.

last para made me lol!!!!

let's face it....it's just no fun being a Skins fan these days. really hasn't been for 18 years. the tipping point is drawing near. masochist that I am...I'll give it another season. after that...if I don't see at least a professional product on the field...well: it's golf for me on Sundays!!!

The look I saw on Shanahan's face this afternoon was one of bewilderment.

After the butt-kicking in NY, the collapse today in the final minutes against Tampa I think has Shanahan questioning himself and his approach on more than one level.

He might not admit that publicly but it seems logical based on what he said in February and March and then again after the draft with what has transpired in the 13 games that have been played.

This team has a small core of younger talent to build with.

Shanahan has added a few guys to that list in Trent Williams, Brandon Banks, Armstrong and Torain.

But that's a very small number for a team starting a rebuilding program from 4-12.

We should have 8-10 ADDITIONAL younger players between 22-25 we are working in as at least part-time contributors.

The truth is the New England Patriots have DOUBLE OR TRIPLE the number of younger players we have to build with and they have been drafting lower than Washington for much of the past 10 years.

The look I saw on Shanahan's face this afternoon was one of bewilderment.

After the butt-kicking in NY, the collapse today in the final minutes against Tampa I think has Shanahan questioning himself and his approach on more than one level.

He might not admit that publicly but it seems logical based on what he said in February and March and then again after the draft with what has transpired in the 13 games that have been played.

This team has a small core of younger talent to build with.

Shanahan has added a few guys to that list in Trent Williams, Brandon Banks, Armstrong and Torain.

But that's a very small number for a team starting a rebuilding program from 4-12.

We should have 8-10 ADDITIONAL younger players between 22-25 we are working in as at least part-time contributors.

The truth is the New England Patriots have DOUBLE OR TRIPLE the number of younger players we have to build with and they have been drafting lower than Washington for much of the past 10 years.

torrain won't last. armstrong is a role player. banks can be neutralized.

they need to rebuild the lines. problem is..they also have to decide where to focus first...D...or...O. either way...I see a min of 2 years more of ugliness.

my gosh man..can you ever say something positive about the skins?

we dont suck as much as we could?

LOL btw Fansince , the only reason im willing to give shanny some benefit of the doubt is the offence has been brutal for a decade, the defence has been solid, the defence is an easy fix, the offence niot so much.

If we're gonna mortgage anything for anybody, please let it be Andrew Luck and any linemen we can muster.

Things will turn around.....I just hope I'm alive to see it.

I have faith.....this really sucks, but I have faith.

Blind though it may be.....

Yeah, I'm starting to buy into the Luck hype machine, which makes me a little nervous. I tell you what though, look at what difference Bradford makes. It's enough to make me want to sell the farm for the kid.

Did I mention that makes me nervous?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

how shocking that YOU come in and defend him. :)

I'm sorry...did you say something equally insightful and interesting? I must have missed it in the 2 nanoseconds it usually takes to digest your posts.

Defense...eh? from whom? you?.....:yawnee:.....:cry:......

Ive found that the people who are the most negative now, are usually those of us who have been positive and disapointed . I used to be a huge pollyanna, im not anymore. lol

It's a burden..Ry....but one does have to deal with reality on its own terms.....:wall:

last para made me lol!!!!

let's face it....it's just no fun being a Skins fan these days. really hasn't been for 18 years. the tipping point is drawing near. masochist that I am...I'll give it another season. after that...if I don't see at least a professional product on the field...well: it's golf for me on Sundays!!!

Man I'm so with ya on a certain level (although I'm still dumb enough to say I'll be doing the same thing next year no matter what).

What makes it rough for me personally is all the freakin travel. Our team sucks so bad and has for so long that I literally can remember the few wins I've had the pleasure of soaking up on the drive home. I want some wins dammit, playoffs? Playoffs? How about just a few wins when at home for starters? Homefield adavantage...wtf is that? It would mean no avoiding the NFL network on my XM which I LOVE listening to except for post loss. No getting let out of speeding tickets by cops who feel sorry for me after an epic beat down to a division rival (true story). No wasted gas, time and effort for a team that doesn't seem to be putting half as much effort into playing as I do into being a fan. No thousand miles of wear and tear on my truck only to be miserable the whole drive home. No totaling my truck on the way to Monday night games (with rival fans in my car no less) because deer walk out only to have to limp home after a humiliating chitstomping loss. (Christ I gave up my truck for you turds, the least you could do is show up and make me proud as fan...you know act like you give a crap).

Yep Masochism is a great way to put it. And yep I'll be coming for the beat down New York will put to us in January...masochism indeed. Not exactly the brightest bulb in the box am I?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.