• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Recon - Jay Gruden to the Redskins-Views from the opposition-and more

While I see the point a couple of you are making about seeing an Eagles/Saints/Chiefs like turnaround here under Gruden in Year 1, I can't agree.

The offense isn't set. We don't know if Griff will ever be the same again as he was in his first season. He might or might not recover, both physically and mentally. We have a revolving door at the #2 WR spot with the most likely guy to take the job coming off 2 out of three season where he could finish the season. Two of our top four WRs are FA and likely not to be resigned. The entire right side of the offensive line is a bigger question mark than the Riddler and we are an injury away from Williams (who seems to play hurt a good bit) from the left side being the same. The only place on the offensive side of the ball we have any depth at all is QB and RB.

On defense we are missing a legit NT to play a 3-4 and we are missing legit ends to play a 4-3. Yeah, I know you will say that Rak and Kerrigan can be 4-3 ends but both have lost weight to play OLB in a 3-4 and I'm not sure Kerrigan was ever heavy enough to be an every down LDE in the 4-3. With the exception of Jenkins our defensive tackles are getting a bit long in the tooth and all have injury issues except Golston who might be too light for the job and is no better than a solid journeyman rotational guy anyway. With Fletch leaving we are missing at least one ILB for the 3-4 and if we make a switch back then we have no SAM or WIL on the roster at all. Our secondary is an unmitigated disaster with something like 10 different starting safeties in the last 4 years. Hall and Wilson are both FA and while Amerson showed signs of improvement last year he also had moments of total rookiness.

Our Special Teams is the worst in the league. Period.

I just don't see us fixing all that with coaching and new players in a year. Sure we have lots of cap room but for that to help there have to be guys walking the street that you can pick up. It is my experience that in the NFL if a guy is walking the street he is doing so for a reason. Teams keep good players for the most part. Sure, there are few out there every year that are worth a look but just a few and you have to then convince them to play for you and do so for a contract that isn't stupid.

And we don't have a first round draft pick.

Can I see 8 wins next year? Sure. But I can also see 4 if we get even a little unlucky in the injury department.

Can I see 8 wins next year? Sure. But I can also see 4 if we get even a little unlucky in the injury department.

*sticks fingers in ears*

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Hey, that is fine t. Trust me, I don't like what I am saying either. But part of my self defined roll around here is that "realist and voice of reason" and that entails that I see our roster for what it is right now.

I think it depends on how you view the winning streak of 2012. Was that the anomaly or the rule? Answering that question should give you a pretty good insight into how you feel our chances will be next year.

I think it depends on how you view the winning streak of 2012. Was that the anomaly or the rule? Answering that question should give you a pretty good insight into how you feel our chances will be next year.

I think it was the rule for that team but that team doesn't exist now, Goal.

Here you go Henry, I got you a first row free seat on the Posi-Train!!

Attachments

• myticket.jpg
    myticket.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 82

More to the point, I think it depends on how you view Griffin. Is he a Franchise QB or not?

If he is, we should win at least eight.

Here you go Henry, I got you a first row free seat on the Posi-Train!!

Hah!

Oddly, I don't see my point of view as all that positive. I just don't see a lot of room for waiting around for another 3-4 seasons while we find ourselves. This team is not in complete disarray the way it was when Spurrier and Zorn left. It's somewhat together and we have a QB. If we go into full rebuild mode again that's not a good sign at all.

Hey, that is fine t. Trust me, I don't like what I am saying either. But part of my self defined roll around here is that "realist and voice of reason" and that entails that I see our roster for what it is right now.

Yeah I know.

:(

I can't handle a 4 win season next year. That's unacceptable to me. As unacceptable as a 3 win season was last year. I went 75% through the season supporting Shanahan coming back - when it became clear the win total was going to be 3 I changed - That's unacceptable at any time for any team in the NFL.

4 isn't much better.

I think it was the rule for that team but that team doesn't exist now, Goal.

Eh... maybe. Not sure I agree, IF you're arguing that the current team can not duplicate those conditions and results. I think as Mike pointed out, there were quite a few "perfect storm" situations that magically came together to ensure a season of suckitude. Had Shanahan stayed, I think we get to 7-9 wins next year with increases in cap space and natural improvement from Bob healing and having an actual off season.

If Gruden is half as good as McD says, I think we could hit 9-11 wins.

Hah!

Oddly, I don't see my point of view as all that positive. I just don't see a lot of room for waiting around for another 3-4 seasons while we find ourselves. This team is not in complete disarray the way it was when Spurrier and Zorn left. It's somewhat together and we have a QB. If we go into full rebuild mode again that's not a good sign at all.

Can't agree more with this. As T said, if we hit only 4 wins next year, without some sort of cataclysmic injury rash, I'm going to be very unhappy.

Or how about, "There's 3 kinds of turds in the world. Mustard, custard, and you ya big pooh-pooh!"

Well, Griffin had done most of the work in that Bmore comeback.

And the Browns?

Exactly.

Robert will be fine.

I think a lot of folks forget that Cousins was in for a comeback victory and then a win during the stretch in 2012 (week 14 and 15.)

I think that's irrelevant to whether or not Griffin is a franchise-caliber QB. All the people who voted him Rookie of the Year and to the pro-bowl knew he missed a game and part of two others. He still had an historic rookie season.

Don't get me wrong, I like RG3 as the franchise qb, but he can only do so much...especially when running is removed from his arsenal. I just think this injury has made him a different guy who will have to succeed as a pocket passer to be a franchise qb. He knows it, too.

I don't think any of that's a given. We are now just a year out from his injury, which most experts say takes a year or more to fully recover from. The fact that he didn't fully recover in eight months doesn't mean he can't in 18.

I will say this: If Griffin never really does recover from that injury ... it's gonna be a long decade.

Then again, that's why I said with a 'healthy Griffin' we should expect to win at least eight games.

Even less than 100%, Robert is still more mobile than most QB's. And, when he develops his pocket passing skills, he'll be just as dangerous as the pre-injured Robert.

If he gets back to pre-injury speed, with a developed pocket game? = Phenom.

I've been saying since day one that he wouldn't get his speed burst back till this year. His top end speed is already there. It takes about a year of steady rehab to regenerate that muscle lost to atrophy. Couple all of this with the bulky restrictive brace that he won't be wearing next year and I think all the folks in doubt will be in for a surprise. To me that's never been a question, the question is can the skins provide him with with a line that will allow him to develop and flourish? The skill players are all there but without a huge upgrade in the line RG3's progress will be limited.

Eh... maybe. Not sure I agree, IF you're arguing that the current team can not duplicate those conditions and results. I think as Mike pointed out, there were quite a few "perfect storm" situations that magically came together to ensure a season of suckitude. Had Shanahan stayed, I think we get to 7-9 wins next year with increases in cap space and natural improvement from Bob healing and having an actual off season.

If Gruden is half as good as McD says, I think we could hit 9-11 wins.

No, Goal, what I am saying is this team is not that team. Zo Alexander is gone. Fletcher is retiring. Griff is injured and might not ever be the same guy. Cofield, Bowen, Golston, Montgomery, Chester and Moss are all two years older and might be on the wrong end of the age curve now. In a couple of cases with that list they guy is definitely on the wrong side of the age curve and not likely to be back with the team. We have a metric ton of free agents. Not to mention that most of that team had been together in the same systems for 2 and half years before they went on that 7-0 run, Griff and Morris being the big exceptions.

It isn't the same team. And that "sameness" will decrease even more now as Gruden and his coaching staff bring in new guys and modify the systems the current guys are in.

Sounded like LaCanfora was reporting that the decision's been made - Haslett will return as the DC. Not as 'Asst Head Coach' or in some other role - but he's our DC. Color me skeptical.

Interesting, I've don't think I've ever seen the term skepticism used as a synonym for hope before.

Seldom has the phrase "More shall be revealed" carried such import, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.