• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Who belongs on the Redskins’ Mount Rushmore?

I know I'm late to the party on this (actually, the party is long over, there's a car in the pool, a keg on the roof, a naked girl passed out on the lawn, and the parents are just pulling into the driveway)... but I would have to say:

Sammy Baugh
Sonny Jurgensen
Dave Butz
Art Monk

Baugh, because he changed the way the game was played and more importantly, how the public started to perceive the game. And he still owns a couple of records (I believe) that still hold today.

Jurgensen, because for years he WAS the Redskins and provided the team with its only football identity for at least a decade - a passing club. That and teams knew what he was going to do and still couldn't stop him. He was just an amazing passer.

Butz, because despite Hanburger, he might be the best defender we ever had and was key to both Allen and Gibbs' defenses. He was the best run stopping tackle I've ever seen play, and when asked to get after the QB produced an 11.5 sack season. But more than that, he was the keystone, the foundation upon which our defense was built for years - everything was predicated on him controlling the interior, and he did it brilliantly. He's HOF worthy as far as I'm concerned.

Monk, because he again epitomized my preferred team identity of being a passing club, and he was our greatest receiver.

I have no Hogs, because although I loved and appreciated their play, it was really as a unit, and individually I can't say that any of them was better than Turk Edwards or Len Hauss.

And I excluded coaches because that mixes apples and oranges and makes it too hard to put up a list. But I don't understand why Ray Flaherty isn't in the conversation with you guys who do. He took us to 4 League Championships, winning 2, and the team he helped build and field went to 2 more championship games. Flaherty deserves at least equal billing with Gibbs, certainly with Allen.

As for the Allen debate, he turned a mom and pop franchise into a juggernaut virtually overnight, ramped up the entire fan base, and forever changed the relationship between Washington and its team. He took a local regional club and made it a national player, created one of the greatest rivalries in all sports, and put us on the path that led to Gibbs and football glory. And George was a brilliant coach, easily the equal of Gibbs from an x's and o's standpoint. He gets short shrift from younger fans who (perhaps) only turn to the back pages and look at W-L records and count trophies, but he was the real deal.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.