• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Who belongs on the Redskins’ Mount Rushmore?

I'm going to ignore the Allen debate for a moment and pick my four. I went with:

Gibbs - Obvious. If we could only pick one person it would still be him.
Monk - Yes he was a great player, but he was also one of the biggest fan favorites of all time, and that does have to count too.
Green - 20 years. Most of it at an elite level. I wrestled with Monk/Green, figuring I should just pick one of them, but this is my list so I went with both.
Jurgensen - I also wrestled with Jurgy/Baugh, but ultimately picked Sonny because Baugh became a Cowboy fan after he retired while Sonny is still one of the faces of this team.

So that's my list. Four really isn't enough.

George Stark, original Hog, drafted by Allen, in the 11th round. ;)

Point.

And, I'm trying to poopoo the draft here. Pointing out that what Allen accomplished was crazy good. And worthy of consideration for the mythical "Mt Rushmore".

And I considered him. I just felt that Gibbs was so much of a better coach that I had to go that direction and didn't have room for two non-players. If I had gone with two non-players, Beathard would have edged out Allen for the second spot.

No question, Joe Gibbs is #1 All-time Redskins coach, by a mile.
Then, it's George Allen, by another mile.

I'm not arguing this either. Allen was a great coach and clearly second best in Washington to Gibbs in that department. My problem with him is his complete disdain for young players and the draft. Granted, it was a different day and age with a very different game but still...

If we're going with coaches, why isn't Ray Flaherty second?

54-21-3, never coached a losing season, two titles ...

Sorry, but I'd put Allen third on the list. God bless him. :)

If we're going with coaches, why isn't Ray Flaherty second?

54-21-3, never coached a losing season, two titles ...

Sorry, but I'd put Allen third on the list. God bless him. :)

Allen was 67-30-1 for winning percentage of .691 compared to Flaherty's winning percentage of .720 but Allen made the playoffs 5 of his 7 years here and had 7 post season games while Flaherty only had 4 post season games. They both won 2 post season games each.

The kicker is that Flaherty's teams won 4 division titles and 2 NFL Championships ('37 and '42) while Allen won only one division title and no championships.

Point to Henry. :)

I'd go with Gibbs, Baugh, Green and... a Hog Head.

Trying to pinpoint four players and coaches who could be on the "Mount Rushmore of Redskins Honor" is just about impossible to pull off. The team has been in existence for more than eighty years and that encompasses several thousand players and dozens of coaches. Never, ever could their be a consensus amongst the fans or media. The USA has been in existence for 237 years with forty-four presidents. Choosing the actual Mount Rushmore is a far easier numbers game than the football version.

Too, fans of teams like the Texans, Panthers, and Jaguars have a far easier task. Each of these organizations have been in existence for less than two decades. I'm not saying this ceremonial contest in football democracy is unfair, but it is certainly much more difficult for fans of teams that have been around for many decades. We're faced with a similar task that Bears, Packers, Giants, Eagles, and Lions fans are facing. Choosing four franchise icons is an exercise in futility.

It would be a better idea to let teams with a certain longevity to have ten or fifteen choices. Even then, the selections would not be unanimous, but it would obviously reflect a better representation of who is truly the best of the best.

I wouldn't wanna "offend" any of our muslim brothers... /sarcasm

I'd go with Gibbs, Baugh, Green and... a Hog Head.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Trung Canidate, Dana Stubblefield, Jeff George & Albert Haynesworth.

Nah I'd go Joe Gibbs, Darrel Green, Riggins & Fletcher.

Strictly as a fan:

1) George Allen. Anyone who lived through that time knows George basically started the whole thing. To this day, first SB included, there was nothing like that NFC Championship game against the Pukes. DC never experienced anything like it before. You had to be there. Lombardi just wasn't really on station long enough. Allen was the one who really got the winning mindset entrenched. He is also the one who created the whole "we hate Dallas" mythology that lives to this day.

2) Joe Gibbs. Not worth debating.

3) Sonny. Mr Redskin.

4) This is where it gets difficult. I'll go with Baugh since he did it all. But, IMO, Riggins was the one who everyone refers to for the most famous play in Skins' history. If one could substitute a group - I'd immediately run the the Hogs. they were the heart and soul of those championship teams.

Sammy Baugh changed the way football was played - he deserves a spot on the NFL's Mt. Rushmore, let alone the Redskins.

JKC, Gibbs, Green, Baugh
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Gibbs, Green, Riggins and Monk.

In another few years, RG3.

Gibbs, Green, Riggins and Monk.
I'll second this.

Gibbs: Team's best coach

Green: 20 years of excellence,HOF

Riggins: Carried the whole team on his back to a SuperBowl,topping it off with the most famous play in Redskins history

Monk: Mr. Clutch/dependable. Record setter. One of the most classiest players to ever grace Redskins Park.

Only one I'd shoehorn in there is Sonny, the best Redskins QB of the last 50 years.

I'm going to go with

Sammy Baugh
Bobby Mitchell
Joe Gibbs

The last one is tough. If I really had my choice, I'd make the last head, the Hogs and have it stand for that group Jacoby, Lachey, May, Bostic, Grimm, etc.

As a standalone maybe Green just so I have a defensive guy.

I'm going to go with

Sammy Baugh
Bobby Mitchell
Joe Gibbs

The last one is tough. If I really had my choice, I'd make the last head, the Hogs and have it stand for that group Jacoby, Lachey, May, Bostic, Grimm, etc.

As a standalone maybe Green just so I have a defensive guy.

"The Hogs" is an option.

I went with Baugh, Gibbs, Green & The Hogs.

"The Hogs" is an option.

I went with Baugh, Gibbs, Green & The Hogs.

I like your list, but I wanted to hit more eras which is partly why I went with Mitchell. Great player and also one that broke the color barrier for this team. Thought he was deserving. Also considered George Allen, Sonny, and a few others.

Maybe even

Sammy Baugh
Joe Gibbs
Hanburger
The Hogs

Kind of like that list too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.