• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I don't know if there are more details out there, but I heard on the radio that Chase Young is skipping today's OTAs again.

It's just a bad look especially as you can make an argument that he regressed mightily in his sophomore season prior to the injury and basically is getting a mulligan for his junior year. I have nothing against him training with people or other players he believes in, but for the sake of team unity, cohesiveness, etc. for those three days where the team gets together for OTAs... be there. After all, not being there hasn't worked.

Maybe he's miffed at not getting his fifth year picked up. Maybe he doesn't think there is a problem. Maybe he really thinks he knows best. Maybe because he thinks it's voluntary he can't be looked down on.

He's wrong. His rep and the perception of who he can become as a player is really low. It doesn't improve any by being a no-show.

I think the NFL perception that he's some type of team player or leader is way off. I've never gotten the feeling his fellow players view him that way any more than they did RG3. He may be one of the most physically talented guys on the roster, but he's done very little to justify being the #2 pick (and supposedly best player) in that draft. Whether this is a big deal or not in the grand scheme of things, it's as you said, a bad look. I will continue to believe we should've tried harder to trade him in the offseason. Possible he'll come out and look all world in 2023. But color me skeptical.

Sadly, I agree.

I do think that Chase is a good teammate in the moment. We've both seen tons of plays where Chase is jumping and clapping players on the back and urging his team on from the sidelines. He's totally into the game and in the moment. However, there seems to be something. You can make the argument that his skillset hasn't really improved since he was drafted. You can make the argument that he plays with a lack of discipline which suggests a lack of focus during team meetings and understanding of what the team is trying to do.

It's these latter two issues which suggests to me that he needs to be at OTAs. He needs to learn a new move to defy how teams block or double team him. That hasn't manifested from his training away from the team so far. More, he needs to be in sync with his team so no one can argue that the team plays better without him (which is a complaint that has been credibility made against him.)

Yeah - Lavar Arrington did all of those things when the cameras were on him too.

I don't know if there are more details out there, but I heard on the radio that Chase Young is skipping today's OTAs again.

It's just a bad look especially as you can make an argument that he regressed mightily in his sophomore season prior to the injury and basically is getting a mulligan for his junior year. I have nothing against him training with people or other players he believes in, but for the sake of team unity, cohesiveness, etc. for those three days where the team gets together for OTAs... be there. After all, not being there hasn't worked.

Maybe he's miffed at not getting his fifth year picked up. Maybe he doesn't think there is a problem. Maybe he really thinks he knows best. Maybe because he thinks it's voluntary he can't be looked down on.

He's wrong. His rep and the perception of who he can become as a player is really low. It doesn't improve any by being a no-show.
I wouldn't read much into it just yet. Players often get excused and have explanations from OTAs. I don't think I've seen any info on him or others that weren't there yet.

I’m not ready to give up on Young, but I think the Arrington comparison is a good one. Both supremely talented guys who seemed to freelance too much. Arrington was missing something that kept him from being the all pro he could have been. It appears Young is on that same path. He’s got one year to show that he can put it all together.

Chase not being there is a problem if it's driven by anything other than an 'excused' absence.

The guy has not lived up to his draft status. On a realistic level, I don't hold that against HIM. He didn't draft himself no. 2 overall, the team did.

What i do hold against him is the other stuff. The 'larger than life' image he tries to portray.

It's this in the midst of a disappointing 2nd year, prior to blowing out his knee

“I was making money baby," Young said. "Gotta make the money. None of y'all would've ducked the money. At the end of the day, it's a job. Just like y'all do your job, I do my job.”

The 22-year-old was absent for Washington's voluntary OTAs in May due to a scheduling conflict before returning for mandatory minicamp in June.

Then this... following the 2021 season while he was re-habbing

Young was absent from Washington’s first trio of OTAs and Ron Rivera told the media he believed the defensive end would “eventually” make an appearance. Turns out “eventually” meant Tuesday.

Though Young won’t don a helmet in the near future, his presence will be a welcome one. Rivera, for one, won’t have to answer additional questions about where the former second overall pick is spending his time, while Young can interact with his fellow players.

Now he's missing OTAs. People speculate that he's missing it because of sour grapes, and that may be it... THIS time. The fact of the matter is the track record is there that he doesn't feel its important. Maybe it isnt, but this was an easy lay up to help his image. I think the bigger issue here is that he doesn't have an honest viewpoint of himself. I think he feel's that he's "made it" already. He doesn't need my approval, or to sway the opinions of anyone on this board, but when you choose to be absent for things like this, and you appear to actively avoid OTAs... the massive questions just get bigger and bigger. Again, there may be a reason, but looking at history, I have no reason to actually believe he had any interest in participating regardless of the circumstances.

The truth is he HAS made it...financially.

Thanks to football, he has already, at the ripe old age of 25, made more money than most of us could think about making in multiple lifetimes.

If money was his only motivation then he has it in the form of a rookie deal that will pay him over $34 million and endorsements that will add millions more. If he has a half-decent agent and access to good money managers, not only will he live well the rest of his life but so will generations of his descendants.

What else is there?

I see a young man who isn't driven to be the best. Isn't driven to win.

This is an old story that we have seen many times in guys like Ryan Leaf and Jeff George. Guys with all the physical talent in the world but lacking the right mentality to achieve even a sliver of what a 6th round talent like Brady did largely on willpower.

Arrington was one of the most immature players I have ever seen and that includes especially in the locker room after games when cameras weren’t turned on. Huge diva. I don’t know if Young is the same kind of guy because all I’ve seen is the public face. But there are definitely some signs of immaturity.

And from the files of 'you can't make this shit up', the US Patent Office has denied the trademark request for the 'Washington Commanders'. I'm sure they'll have no trouble overcoming the hurdles required to fix this situation, including making a deal with the guy who's been squatting on several versions of the Commanders name for years. But you have to ask, for the bazillionth time since Jason Wright took over - does this guy have any clue what he's doing?

And from the files of 'you can't make this shit up', the US Patent Office has denied the trademark request for the 'Washington Commanders'. I'm sure they'll have no trouble overcoming the hurdles required to fix this situation, including making a deal with the guy who's been squatting on several versions of the Commanders name for years. But you have to ask, for the bazillionth time since Jason Wright took over - does this guy have any clue what he's doing?
I sometimes wonder if Arthur Carlson and Herb Tarlek run the business side......

If George Allen didn’t have a man crush on Billy Kilmer I still think we have one more championship on our resume…

While working at The Gap in the Springfield Mall I sold Levi’s to both Sonny and Billy on different days. Billy was mainly interested in what waist size Sonny bought. 🤣

Not like Sonny was 'svelte' himself. Just sayin... They hung out in the same Route 1 bars so.... One of them had an NFL arm and the other didn't, that was the primary difference imho...

While working at The Gap in the Springfield Mall I sold Levi’s to both Sonny and Billy on different days. Billy was mainly interested in what waist size Sonny bought.

And Chris - you may have sold ME some straight leg Levi's back in the day. I remember when they built Springfield Mall and used to hang out at Timeout and Farrell's, later on worked at the York Steak House, lol....

Not like Sonny was 'svelte' himself. Just sayin... They hung out in the same Route 1 bars so.... One of them had an NFL arm and the other didn't, that was the primary difference imho...

Both were 38”.

Dude looks like robocop.

Not gonna lie... i liked the old school facemask with the bar down the middle..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.