• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

It's probably the right choice, but how frustrating and disappointing. We were hoping he'd be someone special. He still could be, but that injury stole two years and possibly part of what made him special.

... And I still am not pleased with him that he skipped the offseason program and had a terrible sophomore year prior to the injury.

I have to think if here were a special player, we'd have seen it at the outset of season 2. Instead, he looked lost and ineffective. 1.5 sacks over 9 games. Our D got better after he had the injury. He's a great athlete but he's not a great player imho. Busted pick.

Not just any #2 pick either. Young was universally touted as the best player in that draft. It isn't like Washington reached for someone here.

So really difficult to fault the team on this one.

I’m fine with this, especially since there will be a new owner and most likely a new football staff next year. There is no need to saddle them with a 5th year option. If he plays well, that new staff can sign him. But now it’s not an anchor for that staff, which is something we all have been hoping to avoid.

Not just any #2 pick either. Young was universally touted as the best player in that draft. It isn't like Washington reached for someone here.

So really difficult to fault the team on this one.

I guess the way I'd put it is, there were 30 other teams ready to blow that pick there if they'd had the opportunity. Not much doubt about that. But you cannot afford to blow a top 10 pick ever - and we did. I don't think they can get a pass on that because of conventional wisdom. There was obviously something major that we missed in the evaluation. When I look at who we could've had, it makes me nauseous (especially at pick 6).

You are right Neo - revisionist history is never fair. But it's still history and we blew it about as badly as you can. Just one 'you think you know but you don't know' fan's opinion.

I know it sounds like I'm beating on the team and that's probably further than I'd go. But I do think they are accountable for all their picks. The good news is, we've found some great players that weren't supposed to be great players so that's got to also be said.

A lot of people talking about how this should 'motivate' Young. I'm sorry - but if you're the 2nd pick in an NFL draft, and you require 'motivation', the problem starts and ends right there. Btw - I don't think this is a motivational tactic at all. I think it's a reflection of how uncertain they are he can even play his position at an NFL starter level...

A lot of people talking about how this should 'motivate' Young. I'm sorry - but if you're the 2nd pick in an NFL draft, and you require 'motivation', the problem starts and ends right there. Btw - I don't think this is a motivational tactic at all. I think it's a reflection of how uncertain they are he can even play his position at an NFL starter level...

I have no doubt he can be at NFL starter level, but he's still 'larger than life.' He's not going to sign an 'NFL Starter' contract, he's going to want to be top XX in the league. It's almost doing him a favor not picking him up. He's 1 year closer to free agency and now he doesn't need to 'ball out' for 2 years to earn it.

I should have said 'at the level of the other players available on this roster'. I think that's the issue. He's not even the best pass rusher on this roster, much less in the NFL. You have to wonder what Young's attitude will be if he ends up having a very good year and they offer him a new contract (unlikely imho, but it could happen)? Will he have Payne's mindset, go out and 'prove it', and re-sign, or will he pout and view not getting a 5th year as disrespect and move elsewhere?

I think the answer is in part where you are picking.

To me the first 3 rounds of the draft are about selecting immediate contributors and that means guys with defined projections to position.

Once you get to Round 4 positional flexibility comes more into play because you are looking at potential and the opportunity for a player to come in and show he belongs in the league.

What does that player have in his skills toolbox that can project him to success at the next level that may not have been obvious in college.

For a guy like Darryl Grant it meant moving from the OL to DT.

But to be having these types of discussions on a guy taken in the first couple of rounds of the draft is a sign that just maybe you are over drafting 😉

So a guy that can play slot corner and safety is not valuable? Especially if he sees the field on day one?

As much as we as fans have bemoaned our Oline woes, IMO, we've bemoaned the lack of talent and depth in the secondary just as much.

To me, they've addressed both in this draft. Now we just have to wait and see if their calculations are correct.

The indications from most of the reading I have done is that Martin was going to be there at the end of round 2 or into Round 3, he was not a 'value' pick where he was selected. There were better prospects to start at slot corner (if that was the idea) or on the outside.

If you want to see a team that knows what it is doing in the draft, look at the Eagles.

First of all, they went to the Super Bowl but have already set themselves up with the #9 overall pick in the draft. That was 7 picks higher than 8-8 Washington.

So, they know when to trade and accumulate picks and/or move up for value.

Then the Eagles used later picks on Bulldogs Smith and Ringo (Round 4).

Ringo at 6'2 and with 4.36 speed to me looks like a very comparable prospect to Martin, who was drafted a round and a half earlier by Washington.

If anything the point is there were comps to Martin available later on and the Round 2 pick could have been spent on the OL where the round had a number of highly rated prospects there for the taking.

other than Travis Kelce and the departed Tyreek Hill I am dubious about the abilities of KC's skill players given who they are playing with.

Patrick Mahomes and the threat he presents to a defense makes teams ease off the run game and the backs in KC and any stats they put up are questionable when it comes to spending in free agency.

Remember those wide receivers playing with Favre and Rodgers back in the 2000's? Some of them put up 1,000 yards but when they left Green Bay were nowhere near as productive.

Having a little conversation with "Bard" (Google's experimental AI search ... thing). Just for fun.

1683891801227.png

1683891861033.png

Hmmm...not quite Nostredomis yet huh?

A bit of good news on a Monday morning...

In a week or two, Irsay will find some other nonsense to put his name back in the news. He tried one last time to take advantage of a moron. He couldn’t do it, so on to the next scam. I also wonder if he realizes that with Snyder gone, he’s the de facto village idiot in the owners room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 1, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.