• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Donovan McNabb is headed to the Washington Redskins

It will be interesting to hear Haynesworth's reaction when he hears that he rumored to be on the trade block in an effort to get McNabb.

He will probably go postal. That is likely to get ugly.

But let's not pretend this is a low-risk move. This has to pay off immediately or it was a waste of a pick. (God that sounds familiar. I'm sick of saying that about this team.)

When given the three scenarios above, it was the lowest risk.

Bradford and Clausen may never become even half of what McNabb is.

And you are aware that Shanny hooked up with Elway when he was a year older than McNabb is right now.

A 2nd rounder for a real QB isn't a crazy price. Especially one who can step right in, and knows the offense. The Bears wish they had only given up a second for Cutler. And McNabb, like Favre last season, will probably play with a chip on his shoulder.

Brunell's arm was visibly weakening in the season prior to coming to Washington. McNabb is the exact opposite. He hits the deep ball successfully.

We have a top QB for 3 years. Maybe more. Now we just need to get him a line. We have the fourth for that, and several other players that we can attempt to deal. That's a lot better off than we were hours ago. At least that is the way I see it.

Last edited:
Well, definitely shocked. To say the least.

The more I think about it though, the more I love this move.

McNabb is a definite upgrade over JC (as much as I liked JC as a person and wish him the best :) ).

Our dealings with McNabb may not completely be finished (although by the sounds of how he wanted to come to Wash., maybe he will be staying here).

Personally, I do not think we gave up "too much" to get McNabb. I would prefer using a 2nd round to get a proven QB rather than our other options. Now we can hopefully trade JC to get some type of pick back.

This move makes it more likely that we go with my boy that I've wanted since the beginning of the offseason, hell, since before the offseason started: Okung. Unless he gets nabbed by the Lions. In which case that would really suck.

Regardless, I don't think this McNabb move is as apocalyptic for our organization as so many people seem to think...

I for one, welcome him to Washington (even if he's just passing through, lol) and see his addition as an upgrade from what we currently have. I'm also interested in seeing what we are able to get for Campbell...

Bottom line: I'm very happy that I am returning to the United States April 22, just in time for the draft!

I love the move. Mcnabb is an instant upgrade to the position and it means we won't be rolling the dice with our first pick on any of this years qbs . All of the top qbs coming out have more questions than answers reguarding durability. That in itself made me cringe at the thought of one of them playing behind our oline.
So if the Skins draft an olineman with the first pick ...they are truley moving in the right direction. As for Mcnabbs passes falling into the dirt....it certainly won't be worse than what we've seen from our present situation.
At this point the Redskins aren't superbowl contenders....gonna need a few more pieces. They are however in the conversation at the end of November unlike in years past.

Well, I think this is the nail in the coffin for the season tickets. I've been putting off
re-upping even though we finally have some competent leadership. And now we're right back to our old ways, even though we finally didn't overay for an over the hill "star".

Bottom line, McNabb is a choke artist. That's why I loved him right where he was, because you could count on him throwing dirt balls at critical points in critical games, or even regular games.

Yeah, he's an upgrade over JC. But once again JC ends up being the Rodney Dangerfield of the team, no respect. I can't see him on the roster even at training camp. He really must have pissed in Shanny's Wheaties.

So now we get Okung, which I'm definately happy about going OL over QB and maybe pick up Tebow somewhere doewn the line since they seem to like him, although I'd still like more linemen.

Maybe in a couple of years I'll put my name back on the list. In the meantime I'll spend that $1500 on the big screen

Well, I think this is the nail in the coffin for the season tickets. I've been putting off
re-upping even though we finally have some competent leadership. And now we're right back to our old ways, even though we finally didn't overay for an over the hill "star".

Bottom line, McNabb is a choke artist. That's why I loved him right where he was, because you could count on him throwing dirt balls at critical points in critical games, or even regular games.

Yeah, he's an upgrade over JC. But once again JC ends up being the Rodney Dangerfield of the team, no respect. I can't see him on the roster even at training camp. He really must have pissed in Shanny's Wheaties.

So now we get Okung, which I'm definately happy about going OL over QB and maybe pick up Tebow somewhere doewn the line since they seem to like him, although I'd still like more linemen.

Maybe in a couple of years I'll put my name back on the list. In the meantime I'll spend that $1500 on the big screen

Hey Sarge, were you hating on Sonny when we traded for him from Philly? LOL

It will be interesting to hear Haynesworth's reaction when he hears that he rumored to be on the trade block in an effort to get McNabb.

He will probably go postal. That is likely to get ugly.

Where did you get this info? I have been watching all the sportsnews outlets and not one person has said anything about Haynseworth being trade bait?

One thing I am really shocked about is that I figured this would finally be the year when the Redskins would dump the vets and really start to build. Go young.

Boy, did that NOT happen.

Where did you get this info? I have been watching all the sportsnews outlets and not one person has said anything about Haynseworth being trade bait?

I believe Comcast or the Post reported that Haynesworth and Landry were linked to McNabb trade rumors.

We offered a high second round pick, which the Eagles wanted. Deal didn't get done until we threw in a 2011 4th round that may be a 3rd round. McNabb was pushing for deal with Redskins.

According to Brian Mitchell, McNabb is excited to come here and has a chip on his shoulder.

I think you will see us become very active leading into the draft. May be wrong, but don't see us moving McNabb.

I am strongly against this trade.

McNabb instantly upgrades our offense, there is no debating this. However by all accounts, this is the deepest draft in years, and the 37th overall pick is going to land first-round talent. I think the Skins just sacrificed a fantastic chance to build a solid, young core on offense, and its disappointing that we passed on that for a 34-year old QB.

initial reaction from dallas media...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/tag/_/name/donovan-mcnabb

Calvin: "It makes the Eagles weaker and the Redskins older. McNabb doesn't have anybody to throw to in D.C., much like it was in Philly all those years. If he stayed in Philly he had Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson. The Redskins have some old running backs and some unproven wide receivers. At least the Redskins didn't give up a first rounder."

Cowboys scout on the trade: "Hard to tell right now. It's a new coach but McNabb has the tools that John Elway had when he won Super Bowls in Denver. More experience and some big wide receivers with a coach that likes to run the ball, might help them.[/I]

Doesn't have anybody to throw to in DC? The one thing I will say about McNabb is that he can throw the deep ball very well. How many times did we witness Campbell miss a wide-open deep receiver? A LOT. McNabb to Moss is one of the few things I'm excited to see this year.

I am strongly against this trade.

McNabb instantly upgrades our offense, there is no debating this. However by all accounts, this is the deepest draft in years, and the 37th overall pick is going to land first-round talent. I think the Skins just sacrificed a fantastic chance to build a solid, young core on offense, and its disappointing that we passed on that for a 34-year old QB.

Some things never change

Instead of using the draft to build a young core, we're right back to the "We're only one player away from the Super BOOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLL!" mentality.

We just did it in a different way and a different time this year. It's akin to being down five with three seconds left in the offseason Super Bowl that we always win, and throwing a Doug Flutie like Hail Mary to pull out the victory

This may seem like a quaint notion, but ... I'm not going to judge the move until I see the rest of the offseason play out. The OL situation, the Campbell situation, both are still very much in flux and clearly not fully realized yet.

McNabb may or may not even be here come the regular season ... or he may be here strictly in 'hold the fort' mode until a young hotshot draftee is ready to play in a year or two ... or ... who knows.

Big mistake in my opinion to try to put The Trade in perspective until all the myriad related elements come into focus.

Wait a minute ... what am I saying? I run a message board fer chrissakes.

McNabb? Really!?

What the **** are the Redskins thinking? :tantrum:

I knew you would come around, Om.

It's Monday, I'm a little slower than usual. :cool:

This may seem like a quaint notion, but ... I'm not going to judge the move until I see the rest of the offseason play out. The OL situation, the Campbell situation, both are still very much in flux and clearly not fully realized yet.

McNabb may or may not even be here come the regular season ... or he may be here strictly in 'hold the fort' mode until a young hotshot draftee is ready to play in a year or two ... or ... who knows.

Big mistake in my opinion to try to put The Trade in perspective until all the myriad related elements come into focus.

Wait a minute ... what am I saying? I run a message board fer chrissakes.

McNabb? Really!?

What the **** are the Redskins thinking? :tantrum:

I could really help you feel at home and start 8 different "McNabb traded to Skins" threads:laugh:

I understand some of the negative sentiments, but I couldn’t disagree more.

We’re taking a chance here but it’s nowhere near as much of a crap shoot as the draft. We’ve all heard it a million times: “There are no sure things in the draft”. That holds true here as well. If you were able to guarantee Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow is going to be available when we picked in the second round AND that either will be our starter for the next decade then yeah, we made a mistake. Nobody can do that though. The draft is always cool because of the possibilities that the picks represent. The reality of the draft is often times a lot less satisfying. It’s a lot like going to Vegas. The “could be” is always cooler that the “is”.

McNabb isn’t too old, looking to cash in or a bad teammate in any account I can find. That makes him unlike Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier, Mark Brunell, Deion Sanders or even Albert Haynesworth. McNabb also now has a ax to grind against his former team who happens to be in the division.

This doesn’t feel like a desperation move to me in any way. You have a vet QB who is available at a reasonable price who is a definite upgrade over what we currently have. Is he the last piece of the puzzle? Of course not. There is still a lot of work to be done and they certainly aren’t finished. Patience.

One thing I am really shocked about is that I figured this would finally be the year when the Redskins would dump the vets and really start to build. Go young.

Boy, did that NOT happen.

I don't see how this affects that. To me, grabbing a vet like McNabb and solidifying the QB slot for the next 2 or 3 seasons, allows the team to find and groom its long term QB solution with less pressure for him to 'save' the franchise right away.

If anything, trading for McNabb enhances their ability to grab Claussen or even trade up for Bradford.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.