• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How Do You Compete With No OL or CBs?

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
I just don't get it. The Redskins now have a qb and a decent set of wide receivers and backs (when Garcon is healthy) but aside from Trent Williams nothing on the OL anyone else in the NFL would be interested in acquiring.

Everyone keeps talking about the ZBS and how the linemen are different and need to be smaller, more agile and quick off the ball, and you can get them cheaper because these types of OL are rejected by power rushing schemes which are more numerous around the NFL.

But going back to the Denver Broncos, Shanahan went into the playoffs in the 1990's with a HOFer in Gary Zimmerman at LT. He had a pro bowler in Dan Neal at center and a former pro bowler in Mark Schlereth at OG.

This was not a unit of castoffs and guys who were picked up on the waiver wire with no established NFL credentials.

Here that is all we seem to be doing.

Jordan Black? This guy wasn't good enough to get a job at all in the NFL in 2011. He's attempting to come back and play OT at 270-275 when he was a 295 player in Houston.

I don't think you can play OT in the NFL at 275 any longer. The DEs are simply too big and strong. A lot of these guys are going 290 and they are cat quick.

Polumbus on the other side is 6'8 and 300, but is slow off the ball and can't get to the outside to block anyone with a decent first step.

That is the OT position for the Washington Redskins with Trent Williams twisting a knee.

Again, I think we could have looked for an OT in Round 3 instead of LeRibeus, who was a questionable selection after a checkered college career.

He is sitting on the bench behind Montgomery while it looks like Hurt and Gettis are ahead of him on the depth chart at OG.

So, the highest pick after Griffin spent on a player that is backing up what I think we can all agree is an average player in Montgomery.

As Clint Eastwood used to say before he became senile 'SWELL'.

On defense, the team finished up last season in clear need of talent at CB.

Buchanon was done in by the drug suspension and his age. Barnes showed he wasn't up to the job of being either a starter or a true #3.

Yet, the Redskins again didn't make any moves other than to sign a guy in Cedric Griffin who was cut from a Minnesota team whose backfield was toast. At 30 and with chronic knee problems, Griffin was an upgrade on who exactly?

Yes, the team drafted Richard Crawford and from camp and the preseason seems to have some potential at corner. But he is a raw #7 pick that is likely 2 years away from being a regular contributor in the base defense.

It's a passing league. You have to give QB's time. Building a line for ZBS is a disaster. Our lineman are only backup quality. It's a sad state of affairs.

it was only made worse for today when I watched houston, they showed how to run the ZBS and how to run the 3-4

You think Shanahan has 7 years to get us where Houston is now? That's where Kubiak is...his 7th season and they finally have things going. Is this fan base that patient? More importantly, is Snyder?

I agree with you completely Bulldog.

The only point I want to make is that we knew going into the season that our secondary was depleted and our O Line depth is not where it should be.

So it should be no surprise that these glaring flaws in our team are being exposed.

I think we just need more time to fix these areas.

You think Shanahan has 7 years to get us where Houston is now? That's where Kubiak is...his 7th season and they finally have things going. Is this fan base that patient? More importantly, is Snyder?

Except they've been doing it well for 3 years now.

Except they've been doing it well for 3 years now.

Yeah, some unfortunate plays against them over the previous couple of years and they'd have more than just one playoff appearance in Kubiak's time. But where they are...talk about a Super Bowl...has taken 7 years. Shanahan said he needed 5.

Houstons best move aside from Schaub was hiring Wade Phillips, a true D coordinator not this joke we have

I do think we are discounting the effects the cap penalties had on our team. There was a plan in place to address these needs but thanks to Mara and Goodell we were left to pick scraps for certain positions.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Houstons best move aside from Schaub was hiring Wade Phillips, a true D coordinator not this joke we have

I do think we are discounting the effects the cap penalties had on our team. There was a plan in place to address these needs but thanks to Mara and Goodell we were left to pick scraps for certain positions.

Agree completely. I think the argument against this, which does have merit, is that designating Morgan's money to the OLine may have returned better benefits than Morgan will return. I personally don't have a problem with the Morgan signing, particualrly since we've gotten about 5 minutes of play out of Garcon to this point, but I understand the other POV as well.

Is this fan base that patient? More importantly, is Snyder?
This is one thing I cannot get over.

The lack of patients in the local media and fan base, after grilling Snyder for being impatient.

It's absolutely laughable how big of hypocrites this fan base is. It's also depressing. Because if things don't turn around soon it's going to be what is behind driving the best coaching staff we've had since Snyder took over out of town.

I just don't want to hear anyone bitch when he rehires Cerrato for the 3rd time. If he does, it's exactly what we deserve.

t, this is year 4 of the Shanaplan, and we're still seeing the same things we saw in year one. No depth on the OL, a defense that couldn't stop a pop warner team, and questionable play-calling.

:)

Lanky you know i like you, we're just butting heads on monday morning after a bad loss. it's to be expected :)

And therein lies the rub.

The outcomes don't look good, not because the Redskins failed to look after any of these positions but because the players kept and brought in have not been able to do the job.

On the OL you have starters like Kory, Tyler and Will that were acquired on waivers.

That means each was judged not to be good enough to stick on an NFL roster by their original or even second teams.

And yet we are going to be successful with them here?

You might hit on one guy off another team's practice squad or waivers but not an entire line!

Williams knee issue reportedly just a bone bruise. PHEW. Watching Jordan Black for 13 more games would give me a coronary.

Williams is garbage. Last of an era of highpriced rookie 1st round draft picks. You can't build a line around someone who doesn't seem to care. He flashes to be solid, but he's not dependable. That's what they tried to do, it failed. They have no one else on that OL to build around yet. Not one. I hope something gets done, I can't stand to watch Bob get litup trying to save this pathetic group. (bitter? yeah I traveled from LA to DC and back in 36hrs to see that trash.)

bring back portis so he can block ....something sh!t , going young isn't always better !

And therein lies the rub.

The outcomes don't look good, not because the Redskins failed to look after any of these positions but because the players kept and brought in have not been able to do the job.

On the OL you have starters like Kory, Tyler and Will that were acquired on waivers.

That means each was judged not to be good enough to stick on an NFL roster by their original or even second teams.

And yet we are going to be successful with them here?

You might hit on one guy off another team's practice squad or waivers but not an entire line!

I'm not quite sure what else you expect though. This regime took over an organization previously run by people who traded away draft picks like they were meaningless.

OLinemen don't grow on trees. We've done the best we can to get as many picks as we can. We had an entire team to field. Someone, somewhere had to come from free agent signings.

In 3 years how many offensive linemen do you think they should have drafted, and who do you give up to get them? Furthermore, what proof do we have that they'd be better any any free agent signings? I know i'm stating the obvious, but if you give up a 6th round RB we picked you have to replace him with a 6th round OLineman, you can't just turn that into a 3rd round pick.

I share 100% your sentiment about the situation, I just am not sure how else it was supposed to be different. The only way for this to be different is to back 5+ years and change the way things were run then...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.