• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How Do You Compete With No OL or CBs?

1. Make a better #3 pick than LeRibeus, someone that was closer to being NFL ready.

2. Take Garcon and then stop at WR and take the Morgan dollars and the dollars wasted on Meriweather and go after ONE capable veteran in FA.

3.Be sure you are trading for a player in Jammal Brown that was a good bet to be 100 percent. Another #3 pick that could have been a young OL starter today.

4. Backload ONE deal and acquire a free agent under 30. Again, not to go back to doing what Cerrato did, but make one exception there to help RGIII.

No perfect solutions, but there were other ways to go, other chances to take that the team decided to stand pat on and go with this group.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

#1 i can't argue with, but thats hind sight.. I think they were trying to get an NFL ready lineman and missed. You can't be perfect, you're going to miss every now and then. Their draft record has been pretty good since they got here :\

#2 - I can't argue with the morgan dollars, but the merriweather dollars leaves you with our current safty's and no possibility of better. at least merriweather has the possibility of being better when he plays next week. he may not be - but currently we don't know. and our secondary is really bad. you're robbing peter to pay paul with that move and i don't think it really helps.

#3 can't disagree, but also another hindsight move. if they knew he was going to be this unhealthy they wouldn't have made the move. you have to separate hindsight obvservations from information you have at the time of the decision...

#4 can't argue. not sure why they didn't do it. for this to work you have to have someone to get. do you have someone in mind?

it's one thing to criticize a move, it's another to pretend that it was a terrible decision at the time and everyone knew it except for our staff. try to be fair in that regard. i'm sure if the shanahans had the information they have today when they made decisions 1, 2, or 3 years ago they'd make different decisions too...

edit: now if you knew better than them at the time then kudos to you. that certainly happens :)
i knew the mcnab trade was a terrible move the day it was made, for example. I'm sure you knew better on some of these moves, but I didn't really hear a lot of uproar when they were made; with exception to the jamal brown trade. Any time you trade for another team's injured player it draws some healthy skepticism, and there was some for that one.

I don't think the Leribeus pick was 'hindsight' - it was just a poor decision. The kid didn't have the resume to be picked there. He was a 'Huh???' pick from the minute they selected him. I doubt there was a Redskins fan alive who even recognized his name. Yeah - there are mistakes made every draft, but at least make your mistakes on guys expected to be factors at the NFL level, not reaching for some project with a 3rd round pick that should be used on a guaranteed starter at that position.

LeRibeus would have been there when we picked Compton and Compton would have been around when we started signing FA's.

FYI - Massie, drafted 39 spots after LeRibeus and 10 spots after Cousins, is starting at RT for the undefeated Cards... Just sayin'...

Yeah...and I didn't think I could be more depressed about the OL. Thanks, Neo! Lol

The fan base only thinks it has patience.

There's no such thing when it comes to Redskins Nation.

When Shanny was hired, he said it would take all five years.

Most agreed with that because we knew what Vinny and Co. had done as far as draft picks and cap.

And the funniest thing?

Most reasonable Skins fans would've told you a month ago that the secondary and lack of depth along the Oline,along with a weak RT, would cost us games AND most agreed we were another draft/offseason away from addressing those holes.

Now, when those weaknesses bite us in the butt yesterday, everybody's outraged.

For the life of me, I can't understand why? We all saw this coming and agreed this team was still a work in progress.

Please remain calm. lol

You guys probably tell your wives/girlfriends to stop being hysterical and illogical when they're PMS-ing.

Good luck with that :)

You guys probably tell your wives/girlfriends to stop being hysterical and illogical when they're PMS-ing.

I tell her to go to the kitchen and get me another beer.

Well....that's what it will say in the obituary.

lol

I do
I'm only 27, married 2 years.
I just haven't learned my lesson yet ;)

Williams knee issue reportedly just a bone bruise. PHEW. Watching Jordan Black for 13 more games would give me a coronary.

Come on, Lanks. You and I both know that if Trent was out an extended period, we would not see Black for the entire time. We would bring in another player, who has far less experience, who has a longer gap since his last NFL action, who's a bigger head-case with character issues, and worse injury tendencies, to be the long-term fill-in, while Black just assumes the interim position.

Last edited:
Come on, Lanks. You and I both know that if Trent was out an extended period, we would not see Black for the entire time. We would bring in another player, who has far less experience, who has a longer gap since his last NFL action, who's a bigger head-case with character issues, and worse injury tendencies, to be the long-term fill-in, while Black just assumes the interim position.

Shar Pourdanesh?

Bravo Beans, ftw.

btw whoever brought up Massie (sp?) for the cards, yup, and there were several other Olinemen available but we took Leribeus who was a wtf pick because our guys wanted to show how smart they were, sometimes you roll the dice but not when you are already thin.

to the guys who keep using the " the last regime" give your dam heads a shake, the last regime was 4 seasons ago other teams take 1-2 seasons to change over to a new regime, why is it taking us 4?

bottom line this team has got to show that its able to be creative in finding players and we havent. this team needs to show it can play to its players strengths and aside from a very few , we havent.

Love when guys bring up Bobby Massie and complain that we passed on him.

It doesn't matter that the guy can't pull or get to the second level,you know...the things this offense requires, we should've just taken him anyway.

Confirms my belief that there are alot more armchair Vinnys than armchair Beathards.

to the guys who keep using the " the last regime" give your dam heads a shake, the last regime was 4 seasons ago other teams take 1-2 seasons to change over to a new regime, why is it taking us 4?

It was three seasons ago and no one makes over a team that was this bad in just 1-2 seasons. No one. Especially when the last first round pick still on the team is the one the team picked 3 years ago and the last 2nd round pick still here was selected by the team 5 years ago.

It doesn't matter that the guy can't pull or get to the second level,you know...the things this offense requires, we should've just taken him anyway.

Confirms my belief that there are alot more armchair Vinnys than armchair Beathards.

Maybe he can't Diesel (I brought him up and I know he can't do those things) but Williams is currently the only OT on the team that can do those things and he is hurt. Massie might hurt us a bit in the run game but he would be an immediate improvement over Polumbus in the passing game and beyond an immediate improvement over LeRibeus in pretty much all respects.

Sometimes you can't wait for perfect.

Yeah, I'd much rather have the ultra-light Jordan Black, who can get to the second level. Nevermind that he can't block an empty garbage can rolling down a hill, but he can get to the second level!

I did notice Bryan Bulaga getting whipped by Seattle's DLine last night, so, kinda glad we passed on him.

I'm not an OL guru. I don't know half the people you guys are talking about, so my input on this is probably worth less than anyone else's...

but my god, to us it appeared black was just standing there while his assignment was running free and treating Griffin like a tackling dummy.

I have no idea why, but when you see your QB get crushed and the guy that was supposed to block the crusher just standing there, 5 yards away, you can't help but draw one of a very few conclusions.

that being that #60 is ****ing awful, and none of us knew who #79 was but thank god #60 wasn't in there anymore.

Simple point based on the discussion we are having:

If so many players in the draft and available in veteran free agency are no good here because of the schemes we are running, then perhaps we need to change the schemes?

I am sick and tired of capable players going to the Giants, Eagles or 49ers and having the Redskins say 'we weren't interested in him'.

Shanahan's offense with undersized OL to run his version of the ZBS is consistently getting blown up by teams with strong, agile defenses.

Michael Johnson and Dunlap are hardly all-pros but they made this line look stupid.

So if Massie's here and gets abused like Black because he can't move...just how did we improve?

I imagine if we hadn't gotten screwed by Mara...Black,Polumbus and Brown would not be in the conversation at RT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.