• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Here go all the leftists............

I thought the student section was a little... umm... rambunctious? Distracting? Whatever you want to call them, that part was weird. And yes, i will gladly concede the t-shirts and campaign slogan were in poor taste.

Sadly, this means we can look forward to at least a week of FOX News concentrating on that aspect rather than what he said, which was inspired, and should be inspiring.

Sigh.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

"Could" have been inspiring. Unfortunately, it turned into another "me" moment for Obama. What the hell goes through your head to do stuff like that at a memorial service?

If he's smart, he'll say he didn't know or authorize it and sacrifice someone for his stupidity

God, i hate agreeing with you Sarge. And if FS comes in and agrees, I may ask for a temp-ban for a month while I collect my sanity.

But, i think i agree. I was ready to come in here and defend Obama ,particularly because I do feel it was an outstanding speech, one that should have served to unite both parties. But after thinking about it some, i think his actions and his words don't jive. He sent some major mixed messages last night, talking about not politicizing these things, but passing out t-shirts and stickers in the same breath? Horrible, horrible decision. That sends mixed messages at best to the Republicans, and if I were a card carrying member of the Grand Ole Party, I would be, ,at best, confused, and at worst, pissed.

Damn shame really, given how great a speech it was.

Gonna go see my therapist now, BRB.

The T-shirts were definitely tacky, as was all the cheering. What the hell was that?

Still, the speech was a good one. It's too bad so many of the attendees were treating the whole thing like a big party instead of a solemn event. Kinda surreal.

One question: Were 'white house operatives' handing out T-Shirts or was it the event organizers? I assumed this was an event Obama was invited to speak at, not an event his people planned. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I thought the student section was a little... umm... rambunctious? Distracting? Whatever you want to call them, that part was weird. And yes, i will gladly concede the t-shirts and campaign slogan were in poor taste.

Sadly, this means we can look forward to at least a week of FOX News concentrating on that aspect rather than what he said, which was inspired, and should be inspiring.

Sigh.

well....since this door has been opened. here are my civil thoughts:

1) I thought this was an above average speech for the President. Though he is still strangely cold in his manner......he scores some points.

2) I was appalled by what I saw. I have been to dozens of memorial services for fallen comrades. That was a political rally last night....not a memorial. the pundits...like the WSJ this morning...are well within their rights to point this out.

3) I thought it was somewhat comical for Eric Holder to address a State whose citizens he has labeled racists and whose democratic processes he is attemtping to overthrow in court. but it is what it is.

I have already written my Congressperson with my expectations. Civility and toning down are well within the realm of the possible. I also expect him to keep his eye on the policy ball and work to repeal Obamacare and replace it with substantive, effective legislation; attack the very dangerous deficit problems through meaningful cuts that include all partners to this threat (i.e., including defense); fight the silly efforts to mollify free speech......and other things.

I might point something else out. I was listening to a local Left leaning radio program driving into work this morning. The subject of conversation was Alan Dershowitz's defense of Sarah Palin's use of the phrase "blood libel". what was interesting to me was the persistent and unrelenting effort to destroy this woman and her reputation. the announcers played multiple clips from as recent as yesterday from pundits calling her an idiot, a fool, dangerous, etc., etc. Putting aside the matter of why these people are so afraid of someone they have contempt for.....don't they understand the problem they are creating for themselves? I am not a Palin for President supporter. however, I also am frankly not going to listen to anyone who knocks on my door asking me to support equality and women's rights and then...out of all proportion...goes out of their way to destroy this woman. It's the very sort of behavior/language so many claim ought to be cleansed from the discourse. one cannot but hold the suspicion that this is intentionally orchestrated.

folks like me on the conservative side of the ledger are gonna sit back and watch how this plays out. civility? fine. actions speak louder than words. and we'll also see how this plays out in the policy realm.......

last night was an attempt to recreate the atmosphere of the 2008 election - probably unavoidable once the decision was made to hold the event on a University campus. in some respects...it's sad that was the chosen path.

The speech was very good. The crowd acted in an entirely inappropriate manner. I didn’t know about the T-Shirts until this morning.

If Obama is the worlds smartest man, how come he doesn’t possess a lick of common sense?

Didn't Brewer speak at the event too? I'm not sure how this could be a campaign rally with a Republican Governor speaking. A tacky pep-rally, sure. But then wouldn't it be tacky for everyone involved, and not just the Democrats?

Don't throw your arm out reaching Henry;)

I'm just asking questions before I make a judgement. Isn't that what some on the left didn't do after the shooting that made them so reactionary and politically opportunistic?

Got any answers for me yet?

Shhhhh, Henry, you're interrupting the right-wing blamefest.

The woman is alive and responsive - why isn't it appropriate to celebrate?

I am thrilled Giffords opened here eyes. This is an answer to prayer by those on the right and left.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised this tragedy has been become political. It’s a sad commentary on the country it was.

Obama gave a decent speech, but to me Michelle and him come across as good actors. No one was better at consoling a nation than Ronald Reagan.

After reading through this thread I really like and agree with fansince62’s post above. Like him I will sit back and see how things play out. Instead of casting blame on Palin, maybe some of those casting the stones need to look in the mirror.

Regarding Palin I agree bashing her for the 'blood libel' thing is silly. Same with the crosshairs thing. I'm no fan of hers but we really shouldn't be obsessing about her during a time like this. Totally agree with that.

I don't know what to tell you Henry. All I can relate is that I have been to many memorial services and that wasn't one. It wasn't an accident that a non-neutral site like a University campus was chosen.

Brewer spoke because she is the Governor. Holder? Are you kidding me? Just saying that how this was put together left something to be desired.

in the event........there is the sanctity of the moment...which should be divorced from politics. it would have been nice had...on all sides.....respectful silence been observed. alas...not what transpired.

so we'll all have to see what happens next. more civility is certainly in order...but as I attempted to predict early on in this thread.....the core issues that propel the frictions aren't going away.

I generally agree with you. I thought the cheers and T-shirts and the overall atmosphere was ... very odd.

I guess my question is, does the weird tackiness automatically equal political? It seemed tacky to me, but not in a political way ... just in a tacky way. It's not like Wellstone's memorial where speakers were saying 'we will win in '02!' to raucous cheers or whatever. Nobody said anything like that. The speeches didn't match the tone set by the organizers or participants. Maybe the drunk college kids were expecting something different. Maybe the community is coping in ways I don't get. Maybe this was supposed to be a rally for the still living as well as a memorial for the dead. I don't know.

All I'm saying is, just because I couldn't get a read on it, that doesn't mean Obama and his minions were up to something.

Now if Sarge finds out that it was indeed 'white house operatives' passing out shirts ... then I agree that Obama blew it, despite what I thought was a good speech. For now though, it was just a good speech that got an odd response.

Sadly, I only posted the speech because I was impressed by it and agreed with it's message and had hoped the discussion in this thread would steer in that direction. That pointing fingers and looking for avenues of attack in the wake of something like this is something we all agree needs to be toned down. But unfortunately what's followed is finger pointing and attacks.

In the past I have not shied away from criticizing Obama when he makes a political blunder. And he makes them often. But it certainly does seem like he can't win right now, any more than Palin can.

Last edited:

I stand corrected! Excellent to see, very encouraging!

Again, as I posted above, the stickers and shirts were a colossal blunder, and I understand FOX news or anyone else who woud criticize over that.

But the speech itself was terrific, not sure how anyone could listen and not come to that conclusion.

It's not just Fox news, other conservatives have had praise for the speech:

Michael Gerson:

Telling the stories of heroes, the lost and the wounded was important and humanizing. There is dignity in the details. The concluding dedication of the speech to Christina Green -- calling the nation to be worthy of her innocence and idealism -- was powerful coming a president who is also the father of girls.

From National Review Online:

Tim Pawlenty:

“I thought that he expressed empathy and tried to convey a message of understanding for the people who lost lives and loved ones,” Pawlenty says.

The president, Pawlenty adds, connected with “the heartache and challenge that comes with that.”

John Miller:

I think it may be the best speech he’s ever given.

John Pitney Jr.:

President Obama gave a fine speech reminding us that there is more to life than politics, and more to politics than self-interest.

Rich Lowry:

The pep-rally atmosphere was inappropriate and disconcerting, but President Obama turned in a magnificent performance. This was a non-accusatory, genuinely civil, case for civility, in stark contrast to what we’ve read and heard over the last few days.

Jonah Goldberg:

The speech was a good speech, probably the best of his presidency.

Ironically the reaction of the audience, whose demeanor started well before Obama took the stage (who knew that receiving a free T-Shirt would put so many people in such a jocular mood) probably distracted from the speech. The audience reaction and Obama’s presentation which seemed to be influenced by the audience’s reaction didn’t seem to match the words of the transcript in tone. Had the audience maintained a somber and respectful mood, I think Obama would have presented it differently and it would have been even better. It was one of those cases where it was better read than listened to.

If he had any leadership qualities to him, he would have gotten the audience under control

If he had any leadership qualities to him, he would have gotten the audience under control

uggg...I didn't want to get into this...but.....he's been one of the primary causes of all the friction. think of all the violence laden language (knives then we'll bring guns, retardation jokes) and demonizing (bankers, oil executives, the rich, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, doctors, the middle class, illegal immigration opponents, police forces, radio show hosts, republicans)....and on and on and on.......if we didn't know better...it almost seems scripted by moveon

it's been his MO for nigh on two years now to attack his attackers and perceived barriers to transformation rather than act Presidential.

there has also been a distinct facade at times between language and action with this President.

2011-2012 will be very interesting...lotta bills coming due. somethings gotta give.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.