• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haskins - Going Forward

Am I the only one not shocked by this... ?

Am I shocked? No

Does it change my outlook? Yes

Rivera has been mentioning that he has to think about the other guys in the locker room. On it's surface I wasn't a fan of this because it sounded like guys could be coming and complaining and Ron would cater. THIS tells me that he could be looking at the way Haskins has acted and he needs to make sure everyone understands what they need to do. That this kind of thing will not be tolerated, regardless of your position or draft capital.

I have beat the drum very very hard that we need to give him a shot. THIS is the first thing that has forced me to back up on that stance. When you're the starter, yet Alex Smith, who is not even active on Sundays, is there before you and preparing more diligently? That's just not good enough.

Not great...

Sounds like he and ol' ball coach need to get together. JaMarcus Russel perfects the trio.

Am I the only one not shocked by this... ?
I'm not. His head is up his behind more often than not and his accuracy is terrible. Then when he gets scared, he gets really scared and goes captain checkdown, but he even misses checkdowns.

--------------------
Also, welcome to another loose mouthed leak war, but it is Haskins' fault this started. They did everything in their power to cover up his deficiencies from the media and public at large, even naming him captain. Seems like that ALL of that was a ruse to keep the fans away from the facts.

Sounds like he and ol' ball coach need to get together. JaMarcus Russel perfects the trio.

I'm not. His head is up his behind more often than not and his accuracy is terrible. Then when he gets scared, he gets really scared and goes captain checkdown, but he even misses checkdowns.

--------------------
Also, welcome to another loose mouthed leak war, but it is Haskins' fault this started. They did everything in their power to cover up his deficiencies from the media and public at large, even naming him captain. Seems like that ALL of that was a ruse to keep the fans away from the facts.

As heated and loud as we got going back and forth, I'm not too good to agree with this point. I still stand by what I said... that he's not completely deficient or incapable physically. I will say I was likely wrong that the lack of preseason / offseason was the biggest factor in his mental issues. IF these reports are true, and we can only take it at face value, then he clearly was not keeping up his end of the bargain and benching him appears to be the right move. I am 100% with you about the leak and it's frustrating, but I find myself less upset because it's not the team that started it. Haskins and his Agent taking to twitter was a childish move by a desperate player and the team is doing what needs to happen in order to paint a picture. Rivera can't come out and say these things in a press conference, it'll be viewed as bashing.

In a perfect world, the team would just do what they need to do and what happens outside of those walls is irrelevant. The problem is that's not the case. Free agents, coaches, player agents, all of them can be manipulated by the media and reporting, so you kind of have to get the info out there.

EDIT: We also don't know who the 'leak' is... so I don't know if i want to put this on River / Turner / Zampese.. YET.

Last edited:
Haskins is the last holdover issue from the previous regime. Bruce is gone, Trent is gone, other guys like Norman that criticized the fans for not supporting a team that was going through the motions is gone.

My view has changed. Like Trent I thought we could end up with a happy ending but it appears the player in question doesn’t want to compromise and be part of building success here.

Snyder blew this kid’s ego up to a level he did with RGIII and now there is no talking to him.

The denial is amazing. Almost 10 years later Griffin still thinks we unfairly gave up on him despite the fact he has never established himself as a starter anywhere else.

Justin Herbert has already shown in 3 games that he belongs in the NFL.

Is he mature yet? No. But he can execute basic plays as a rookie coming in to a new system in the NFL and a work ethic to boot.

Here is a video from training camp look at Haskins response

Not hanging the past 30 years on Rivera.
The man literally said he was going to build this team the right way,that basically it was no quick fix and this was basically an evaluation year.
He basically admitted that he knew coming in the team wasn't ready to compete and he had ownership's blessing to do an actual rebuild.

That lasted four games.
Today's theme is now "I was brought here to win".

So which is it Ron? Win now or Build this thing right(which alot of folks here want) to compete for the long haul instead of making a wild card appearance once every 8-10 years?

both with the division up for grab it makes sense to try to win it.
I do think if Allen stinks it up we will see Smith in there soon

It’s amazing. If there was an immature egotistical college player to draft it’s no surprise Snyder would welcome him with open arms.

As I posted before Haskins is the last impactful decision Snyder made in the pre-Rivera era that we have to deal with and it’s appearing potentially move on from.

I have not seen a single player on the team come out in support of Haskins.. telling....

When you strip away all the bullshit about this ... starting Sunday Ron gets a chance to see a far more useful baseline of where his offense is overall. As we're learning, Dwayne was not prepared to run an NFL offense efficiently. Meaning, at the very least, understanding where and when he is expected to deliver the ball. Having a guy back there who understands the concepts, and might even be able to read a coverage and adjust in real time, etc., will allow Ron to assess his OL, his backs, TE's, etc. far better.

THAT to me is the real benefit of sitting Dwayne. Through four games, it sounds like we really haven't seen "the offense" as it is designed. Yeah, we'll still break down due to OL limitations, and youth, and all that, but as Boone has been suggesting, it'll be fun to get a glimpse of what the offense COULD like in due time with a trigger man who actually knows how to release the safety and point downrange.

The reason Haskins is here comes down to where Snyder’s son went to prep school.

And that’s not a reason Bobby Beathard or Ron Wolf or Bill Belichick would make a high draft selection for their clubs.

I have not seen a single player on the team come out in support of Haskins.. telling....

Yes - I think so too. I think Rivera was willing to give him the season but perhaps felt he was risking losing the locker room. I don’t know how else to interpret it.

I hope it’s coming from players and not coaches because that would be Shanahan level self-serving pettiness.

Yes - I think so too. I think Rivera was willing to give him the season but perhaps felt he was risking losing the locker room. I don’t know how else to interpret it.

I hope it’s coming from players and not coaches because that would be Shanahan level self-serving pettiness.

I don't think this is coaches, and I'd bet that Rivera is having a 'meeting' with his coaching staff to make sure that this wasn't from them. Rivera BASICALLY said all of this without saying it. The way he's been talking publicly paints a much different picture if you are looking at it with this information now being presented.

This is a legit leader in that locker room and he had his chances to back Haskins publicly, and tastefully, and it didnt happen....

Until we start evaluating quarterbacks NOT drafted by Snyder the political BS is going to be there.

The parallels to RG3 are there.

Remember when Snyder took his jet to Texas to scout Griffin on his own? 👿

Didn’t TWO team officials have to meet with Snyder for 5 hours to convince him that Cousins ultimately was a better choice in 2014?

Les Carpenter is currently on Chad Dukes about the report.. Locally on 106.7 fm

or here

Radio.com allows you to rewind so if you don't catch this live you can rewind back, the interview starts around 4:35 ish.

As heated and loud as we got going back and forth, I'm not too good to agree with this point. I still stand by what I said... that he's not completely deficient or incapable physically. I will say I was likely wrong that the lack of preseason / offseason was the biggest factor in his mental issues. IF these reports are true, and we can only take it at face value, then he clearly was not keeping up his end of the bargain and benching him appears to be the right move. I am 100% with you about the leak and it's frustrating, but I find myself less upset because it's not the team that started it. Haskins and his Agent taking to twitter was a childish move by a desperate player and the team is doing what needs to happen in order to paint a picture. Rivera can't come out and say these things in a press conference, it'll be viewed as bashing.

In a perfect world, the team would just do what they need to do and what happens outside of those walls is irrelevant. The problem is that's not the case. Free agents, coaches, player agents, all of them can be manipulated by the media and reporting, so you kind of have to get the info out there.

EDIT: We also don't know who the 'leak' is... so I don't know if i want to put this on River / Turner / Zampese.. YET.
Ultimately, that was a discussion on the micro level. You think he has an extra gear to join the ranks of elite eels or weasels who don't have a Lamar, Vick, or Murray level of athleticism but still are a pain to land on the ground, like a Romo, Roethelisberger, Watson, Rodgers, or Mahomes. I don't, and consider him in the realm of an Eli Manning, Tom Brady, or other proper statues of a QB.

Based on that, there is no other path for him but to emulate a Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning if he wants to be a franchise QB. That's why his limitations athletically are a problem. Even Tom Brady had to suffer a drought mid-career with Eli blocking two Super Bowls, plus a knee injury taking away from him a full season with Randy Moss. The site keeps dying with overloaded servers, so I never continued that discussion. I don't see him becoming Mahomes fast or getting Roethlisberger's "third eye".

Add on that his playing slow due to unpreparedness, and that makes for someone who only can excel when the game is played at a slower speed, which is not pro football. That goal line sack was both mental and physical.

I think there are three issue that are driving what we are seeing with Haskins benching. the first is that he is a poor fit for the style of offense Scott Turner wants to run. The short passing game is not his strong suit. Not to say he can't complete them, as he has. But he's much more comfortable throwing intermediate and downfield balls with velocity. The 2nd issue is, apparently, his maturity level/personality. I don't know which it is (the first he could grow out of, the second, not so much). We've seen little red flags along his brief way. The selfie last year. The whiny defiant social media 'victim' posts he occasionally makes. The inability to acknowledge issues that even casual fans can see.Even proclaiming 'I want to be a HOF QB' when what we should be hearing is how he wants to be a consistent reliable starter. Having his agent blamestorm for him on social media. He seems to think he's special despite the fact that he only just arrived and has proven nothing. I've worried about some of those signs, but thought it was probably just generational nonsense that he would quickly learn isn't going to fly in the NFL. Apparently, it's a real thing. Finally - Haskins is not, and likely won't be Rivera or Turner's 'guy'. Whether that's based on what he does and doesn't do well, his attitude, his work ethic, or something else - it doesn't matter. They don't believe in him. That's not to say that had he turned out to be a quick study and was progressing by leaps and bounds, that they wouldn't have quickly embraced him. I think they would have. But he hasn't, and in the absence of that, he's just an inexperienced 1 year college wonder that Snyder pressured the front office to select. They have no bond with him, and he wasn't drafted with the future offense in mind. They will not, nor should they, put their own trajectory as coaches on the line for a QB they don't believe in, no matter what we spent to get him.

I think Haskins is physically gifted. In the perfect situation, with a coach who wants him, where he fits into the offense that team wants to run, it's possible he could be a Josh Allen/Dak Prescott level of talent. But he's not the right QB for this offense or for these coaches. I would be shocked if he is on the roster next season. My bet is that we see him traded before the deadline, but if not then, he'll be floated and dealt to another team in the offseason.

Haskins reportedly unfollows the WFT and Scott Turner on Twitter. I know in the grand scheme of things, that's just an immature kid acting out. But at this point, I think moving him (the sooner the better) is your only move that makes sense.

Now he's just gone full clown-mode. This could become a locker room issue if true.

Lots of Burrow love on the boards, it’s worth noting he has completed just one of his passes that has traveled over 20 yards. 1 for 20.

This is def not a good look..

I still believe a lot of this has to do with the lack of preseason and other things, but a lot of these throws are basic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.