• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fred Davis: See You Later Gator

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
It's one thing for Davis to want a decent contract. But with limited interest for him to come out today and say teams including the Redskins would regret not treating him with enough respect - that's enough for me to say good riddance.

From having an unfocused and somewhat indifferent rookie season to being suspended for his own stupidity in 2011 and then the Achilles in 2012, Davis is too much drama.

Now he is unhappy because there are no multiyear deals out there in free agency coming off a serious injury.

That's the way pro sports works. Just as if Davis had a career year in 2012 and stayed healthy he would already have boogied to the Bucs or Dolphins who are throwing crazy money around.

The only reason Washington is still in the picture for Davis is as a last resort in case he can't find another suitor.

Let's get out of the Davis business, sign a corner like Winfield with the money and follow up with drafting our future at CB next month.

Winfield visits on Wednesday...so you may get part of your wish!

I expect they'll re-sign Davis to a cap-friendly, one year deal.

After his recent comments I don't want him back. Instead of accepting his circumstances much as the Skins would have to if he was coming off a 80 catch, 1200 yard season, Davis is now choosing to be a crybaby.

Even if he doesn't find another taker now and comes back all he's about now for 2014 is getting paid. He's going to be a distraction.

Ultimately Davis is not Tony Gonzalez in his prime.

He's not a must have for the Redskins to win.

Saying he WANTS to be here sounds like lip service when the next sentence says, "If I'm not, that's fine too" but it sounds like "If someone offers more money, see ya".

I don't even pretend to know what is going on behind the scenes and if the Skins are telling Fred to hold off signing elsewhere because they are expecting more cap space to open up or what. If Fred is simply holding out to see who can come up with more money then the Skins should give him a take-it-or-leave-it offer and a deadline to sign and then turn their attention to drafting his replacement.

I might be wrong about him but it seems his heart is with the money and not with the Skins. I'm sure a LOT of guys are like that but his comments just rub me the wrong way and if Fred doesn't see the benefits of playing with RG3 vs. the risk of signing him to big money because of his own stupidity AND trying to come back from a ruptured achilles then he's probably not smart enough to be playing for the Skins anyway.

At this point, I'm pretty indifferent as to what happens with him.

Once a dip****, always a dip****. I've seen and heard enough. Be glad to see him go if it works out that way.

Don't let the door hit ya, where there good Lord split ya!

If he wanted to be here he would have signed a one year deal along time ago. He knows the cap situation, and if all he wants is money, then hit the road jack! I hope he signs with a pathetic team with a sorry QB. So many others want to be here and reworked contracts to stay, THAT is what I want on this team

Well said SC

Yeah it's time to cut bait with Freddy, too much drama with injury there. Not much we can do this season other than draft best TE available with one of our first half picks and ride Paul.

It was time to cut bait last season before we gave him 5 million to get injured. If we sign him again? I swear I will stop watching the Redskins!

:rotflmao: Who am I kidding?!?!?

It's one thing for Davis to want a decent contract. But with limited interest for him to come out today and say teams including the Redskins would regret not treating him with enough respect - that's enough for me to say good riddance.

From having an unfocused and somewhat indifferent rookie season to being suspended for his own stupidity in 2011 and then the Achilles in 2012, Davis is too much drama.

Now he is unhappy because there are no multiyear deals out there in free agency coming off a serious injury.

That's the way pro sports works. Just as if Davis had a career year in 2012 and stayed healthy he would already have boogied to the Bucs or Dolphins who are throwing crazy money around.

The only reason Washington is still in the picture for Davis is as a last resort in case he can't find another suitor.

Let's get out of the Davis business, sign a corner like Winfield with the money and follow up with drafting our future at CB next month.

I'm convinced we need a REAL TE with speed who is a bona fide receiving threat - as a means to strengthening a so so receiving corps, but more importantly to further reduce the pressure on Robert who is going to have to become a bit more conventional this season. freezing the safeties and LBs an extra second or so can make a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, Logan performed better at TE last year than anyone has on our roster in the last couple of seasons. Our record is much better with Davis on the bench than itis with him on the field. I'm fine with letting Sleepy drift off into oblivion. Maybe he can get a house with Leinart somewhere.

I think this is fairly likely, though I'd be fine with just letting him walk.

Yeah, me also. Let's face it - if he's fully healthy, he's most likely as good or better than any other TE option we have. Without him, the Redskins will likely use an earlier pick on TE in April's draft, a pick that other positions sorely are in need of, namely both safety positions and cornerback.

Honestly, Logan performed better at TE last year than anyone has on our roster in the last couple of seasons. Our record is much better with Davis on the bench than itis with him on the field. I'm fine with letting Sleepy drift off into oblivion. Maybe he can get a house with Leinart somewhere.

I have nothing against Logan. that said:

- he doesn't scare anyone...he has no speed

- he has a tendancy to drop passes. not a lot....but a high number, IMO, relative to the number of attempts

Logan, in my mind, functions best as the counterweight to a TE who really magnifies the passing game.

Yeah, me also. Let's face it - if he's fully healthy, he's most likely as good or better than any other TE option we have. Without him, the Redskins will likely use an earlier pick on TE in April's draft, a pick that other positions sorely are in need of, namely both safety positions and cornerback.

concur.....................

That's why I say sign Winfield, let Davis go and then go into the draft with a chance to select a future first corner but also a receiving tight end.

By signing Winfield and Biggers we can reduce the immediate need at CB in 2013 and look to groom a very good prospect at a reasonable pace.

If Davis' talent came without his nickel-plated head I might see things differently.

I don't trust Davis at this point to be counted as a core performer.

He hasn't played a full season since 2010 and his history of production has been spotty.

This guy is no slam dunk resigning like a Gonzalez or Graham.

From his drug problems, to his courtroom antics, to his mouth, and he thinks teams will regret not showing him respect? Doubt it. He doesn't show himself or them respect, so he has a long way to go to earn it from anyone in the NFL.

I fully expect in 3 years or less he will be an afterthought in the league anyway. Nobody in the NFL his age is as close to the end of their career as he is. And it's his own doing.

That's why I say sign Winfield, let Davis go and then go into the draft with a chance to select a future first corner but also a receiving tight end.

By signing Winfield and Biggers we can reduce the immediate need at CB in 2013 and look to groom a very good prospect at a reasonable pace.

This is fine...if Winfield lasts much longer. He is 35, which is already abnormal for a CB. Most drop off around the age of 30 - the most recent example is Asomugah in Philly. He was a shutdown CB in Oakland, turned 30 and signed a mega-deal with Philly and now he's a shell of his former self.

This is fine...if Winfield lasts much longer. He is 35, which is already abnormal for a CB. Most drop off around the age of 30 - the most recent example is Asomugah in Philly. He was a shutdown CB in Oakland, turned 30 and signed a mega-deal with Philly and now he's a shell of his former self.

amy, in part, be attributable to a mis-match with Philly defensive scheme.

Not sure that decline is about age - also possible it is about scheme, coaching staff, supporting cast, or even loss of confidence. Point well taken on Winfield's age though...he would obviously be a stopgap pickup at his age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.