• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Draft Is Wide Open

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
With the signing of Jackson and Clark two obvious areas of need were addressed this week which makes the run-up to the draft very interesting.

The Redskins are almost in a position to take BPA at 34.

I would favor a RT, impact ILB with size, or FS.

But outside of QB, RB, WR and OLB I could see the team taking any position.

I wish we knew at this point what the plans were for Baker. At 6'3 and 330 I would think his natural position would be NT. But they seem to want to keep him on the outside. Meanwhile Cofield is still undersized and tends to get ground down over the course of the season.

Perhaps DL?

They might even go OLB, seeing as Orakpo is only signed up for this year. Maybe TE depending on Reed's bill of health.

But yes, I would think RT, FS and ILB would be priorities.

Yea BT I was thinking a lineman on either side but preferably O line. I think we need to get someone for the NT to share the load with Cofield but O line seems paramount now given the investment in skill players on O.

We can now go best player available across the board, and trade out of a spot we don't like.

I am still wondering whether Chris Chester may be a cap victim of the Jackson signing.

His play in 2013 was not solid and his salary is $3M.

That would pay half of Jackson's salary in 2014.

Hard to imagine that a third round pick or minimum deal vet wouldn't play better for less.

I am still wondering whether Chris Chester may be a cap victim of the Jackson signing.

His play in 2013 was not solid and his salary is $3M.

That would pay half of Jackson's salary in 2014.

Hard to imagine that a third round pick or minimum deal vet wouldn't play better for less.

Wait, you don't like Chester? Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you weren't a fan of Morgan's contract.

With Jackson on board.....in the draft, I'd go OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL.

That's seven rounds, right?

Yes, and one more round than we have picks in. ;)

We have added two offensive lineman and two wide receivers. My guess is that they are looking at the second or third round picks as the place to get a RT. If they do that, I would expect the rest of the draft to be defense heavy. That was really the bad side of the ball here last year.

I expect RT in the second. Maybe safety in the third.

Then more o-line, more defense and a TE around the sixth.

Last edited:
I think we need to go OL heavy. I feel like people are underestimating our DL now that we've added Hatcher. If we move away from OL at all, I'd go Safety, TE, LB or MAAAAAAYBE a taller WR....but, that's it. Imagine coming out of the draft with another 2 OL starters. That'd be amazing. We need to protect our investment.....RGIII.

Oh, and here's another thing I really like:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.03.32 PM.png

I expect RT in the second. Maybe safety in the third.

Then more OL.....and possibly a TE around six, and maybe another WR in the seventh.
(In my best Peyton Manning voice): Draft that Meat! Draft that Meat!

Wide receivers are the biggest crapshoot in the draft. For all those complaining about drafting one instead of signing one just look at all the early flops with first and second round picks.

I would rather have a 27 year old 1,000 yard receiver and a RT taken in Round 2 than be starting off the draft looking for WR help.

This signing makes not having a first round pick a little easier to swallow. I agree we need to go oline early and often!

Anyone seen any new mocks since the signing? I'd imagine RT is going to be the preference, but if they can get a 1st rd FS who falls, or a big C they might go that route.

I think it's imperative that our first pick, whether it's at 34 or lower if we trade back, see's playing time early and often. This is obviously easier to do in sub packages with just about every position other than O-line.

For the record, I'm not against O-line with the first choice but only if it's abundantly clear that the guy has the talent and ability to start day-one.

The DJax signing does open things up to more possibilities. CB always was an option and could be a real possibility with Ryan Clark occupyiong a safety spot. DHall is on the downside of his career and depth behind Porter is very iffy. And I do think OLB moves up the charts with Rak on only a one year tender.

Good news is this draft is so deep we should be able to draft BPA and plug 'em in almost anywhere!

With all the spots filled during FA, whether starter or depth, our 2nd round pick should give us pretty good insight into our FO/Scouting Dept's grading/rating system. While our 2nd round pick will likely fill a position of need, I have to think the only positions we WON'T consider are QB, RB, Punter and Kicker. Sure, you'd "like" to get a starter but I don't see that as being quite as important this year as in years past.

My first inclination is to simply say, "It's gotta be O-Line or Secondary" but that could easily NOT be the case when it comes to BPA.

I think it's imperative that our first pick, whether it's at 34 or lower if we trade back, see's playing time early and often. This is obviously easier to do in sub packages with just about every position other than O-line.

For the record, I'm not against O-line with the first choice but only if it's abundantly clear that the guy has the talent and ability to start day-one.

The DJax signing does open things up to more possibilities. CB always was an option and could be a real possibility with Ryan Clark occupyiong a safety spot. DHall is on the downside of his career and depth behind Porter is very iffy. And I do think OLB moves up the charts with Rak on only a one year tender.

Good news is this draft is so deep we should be able to draft BPA and plug 'em in almost anywhere!

Are you considering Amerson ahead of Porter then? I'd say he really showed ability towards the end last year, and he's young. He may not be a no. 1 but he's a solid no. 2 or 3

Draft is the same as it was.

BPA, unless it's a QB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

Then you just trade back (if possible) and get more picks. Then it's...
BPA
BPA
BPA
etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.