• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Draft Is Wide Open

Where you been SS - I've missed you?

Hi! I've been traveling and buried in the new job a bunch lately. Not much time to post but I always lurk on my phone to keep up here!

It warms the heart that you noticed!

Maybe next year's pool doesn't look so good? Especially of you're planning on being in the later parts of the first round?

I don't know enough about it all to even know if that's the case, but I assume those actually being paid to make the decisions consider that.

I'm a fan of BPA and using need to break ties or on situations where it's close and you have a hole go fill. It may leave you with holes in the short term but in the long term it should set you up with a young talent poll built through the draft.

plus....it can take more than a year to develop a quality cb. if the team has the luxury...grow him into the position. finally, why not have quality depth at a key position in a pass crazy league?

I would prefer we go cb at 34. but am not certain that will be the priority. they may still go safety or some "hidden" gem pass rusher. they can get their RT in the 3rd. defense, IMO, remains the priority. it needs more top flight athletes/talent.

I know there have been players who got injured during or right before their Pro Days but went ahead, and got so frustrated they walked out . Not excusing it but that's a little different from just 'quitting'. Might be more to the story than folks know. There usually is...
You're right. Then, every once in a while you get a guy like (I don't know his name or remember who he played for) that disappears on Super Bowl eve, who also quit during his pro day. It happened twice that I'm aware of. One was a Raider, and I believe the other was a Patriot, but I could be wrong about the Patriot guy, it could be another team.

Could be I'm remembering wrong but I associate BPA with Vinny. Ever since then I want BPA at identified NEED only. A trade down could fill a few voids this season so hopefully spread it around.

You're right. Then, every once in a while you get a guy like (I don't know his name or remember who he played for) that disappears on Super Bowl eve, who also quit during his pro day. It happened twice that I'm aware of. One was a Raider, and I believe the other was a Patriot, but I could be wrong about the Patriot guy, it could be another team.

Barret Robins IIRC.

Could be I'm remembering wrong but I associate BPA with Vinny. Ever since then I want BPA at identified NEED only. A trade down could fill a few voids this season so hopefully spread it around.

Except, of course, a BPA approach now would be in somewhat better hands-and heads-than Vinny's

(Did I use the word "somewhat"? I of course meant light-years better. :))

Exactly - anyone can have an approach, it's the quality of said approach that is going to determine success!

Except, of course, a BPA approach now would be in somewhat better hands-and heads-than Vinny's

(Did I use the word "somewhat"? I of course meant light-years better. :))

Oh no doubt...a retarded platypus could find players better than Vin.

I'm definitely anxious to see what the Bruce can do this draft without the dynamic duo's input.

plus....it can take more than a year to develop a quality cb. if the team has the luxury...grow him into the position. finally, why not have quality depth at a key position in a pass crazy league?

I would prefer we go cb at 34. but am not certain that will be the priority. they may still go safety or some "hidden" gem pass rusher. they can get their RT in the 3rd. defense, IMO, remains the priority. it needs more top flight athletes/talent.

And therein lies the balance to me - development time vs availability. Is it better to roll the dice on a guy this year to get an extra year of development in at your place holder for a position, or to wait until next year when the talent pool is deeper and you can get someone you like more? what about waiting 2 years?

decisions decisions... this is why we're not NFL GM's :)

There's also a firm argument, that I've heard over and over, that the real way to improve your secondary is to improve your front line. Pressure = passing defense. A lot of people seem to think the best corners in the league can't cover a guy for 3+ seconds. If there's a good lineman available that we think will change the game for us I'd rather we take him. I like our secondary if we can significantly increase pass rush. If we can't, then I agree we probably need a CB and a Safety, though I don't think they'll let us pick 2 guys at #34 :(

:)

If you want to see Reed catching passes and Griffin upright in the pocket then keep your fingers crossed we get a RT early in the draft.

I agree w/ the general consensus, except:

1) We might draft a WR at 34--this is an extraordinary WR class, with a bunch of guys (including big guys, e.g., Benjamin) that just might fall to 34;
2) There is no G who, if available at 34, would be a steal, or even a particularly good deal; this is not a particularly strong G class at the top, so I don't think we're going there at 34.

lotta ways to go here.

skins have already invested quite a bit in the pass rush: Kerrigan, Rak, Hatcher. Jenkins starts off w/o a suspension. Cofield is healthy. Bowen is healthy. Is it Seattle quality? nope. can it get better? yup. do they want to put more money there? not sure.

I continue to think CB remains the weak link on defense. that's where I think the biggest marginal return occurs. but, as T points out, ala the Gints, can't have enough pass rushers. so I can see them going either direction at 34.

first pick on a RT? I think for money reasons (lot already invested in the O w/trent due soon), that they wait until 3rd. they don't need an all-pro at RT. they just need someone who isn't a turn-stile.

don't see receiver at 34 - too much money there. that would surprise me. would have to be a real stud.

linebacker? that's a good one. media snippets imply skins are looking for someone to fall into later rounds.

pulling for CB...but agree that they may not be done with the d-line. if a pass rusher drops....pretty tempting.

its not as simple as bpa vs need, like boone and others have said, you make the call based on whether or not this player will be on the team in 3 then 5 years. is he a significant upgrade? Is he gonna be a difference maker?

so that's how seventh round picks are decided?

agree that multiple factors play into the decision process. which gets back to the philosophy of the FO. several one year deals on this team!

The Redskins have too many needs to stockpile wide receivers after the investments in Garçon, Jackson and Roberts.

Perhaps I could see a WR in the 6th or 7th rounds as a project but not with one of the top picks.

The Redskins have too many needs to stockpile wide receivers after the investments in Garçon, Jackson and Roberts.

Perhaps I could see a WR in the 6th or 7th rounds as a project but not with one of the top picks.

While I would tend to agree BD, I also wouldn't be surprised if Garcon is the ONLY receiver retained from last year's team. If it were me, I'm looking Defense or O-Line but Gruden/Allen just might treat the draft like the zombie apocalypse and stockpile weapons.

Yeah, it's really BPA in the later rounds. But this year the consensus is that second round and third round picks could be guys that come in and contribute right away. We definitely need those picks to be impact players as the 2011 picks other than Kerrigan have been slow to mature in the NFL.

We are still waiting for Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson, and Niles Paul to find their niche and become consistent contributors.

Yeah, it's really BPA in the later rounds. But this year the consensus is that second round and third round picks could be guys that come in and contribute right away. We definitely need those picks to be impact players as the 2011 picks other than Kerrigan have been slow to mature in the NFL.

We are still waiting for Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson, and Niles Paul to find their niche and become consistent contributors.

Niles Paul has found his niche...he's a special teamer and will likely remain one for his career being used sparingly in the offense. He was easily our best overall special teams player last year.

Still a number of high picks like Jenkins, Hankerson and LeRibeus that haven't shown us much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.