• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020

FYI...

I did project Bryce Hall to the fifth round and that is where he was chosen (by the Jets). I had him slotted to the Redskins where Keith Ismael was chosen and Hall was drafted four picks later.

My mocking this year was much better than I expected. This means next year it will be a huge bust.

Still hurting over those two picks in Round 5.
When I read the bios of all our other picks when we made them I smiled but these two had me scratching my head.

Ismael still seems like a ZBS OL with finesse profile that would fit better into what Kyle traditionally runs.

I guess my question would be is he a ‘ZBS OL’ or is that just what he was primarily asked to do in college?

BurnersBurning.php.png

Burner’s Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope you are having a good week. Hello to everyone on social media. We’d love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

The 2020 NFL draft is now in the history books and today we take a look at the draftees and UDFAs. The descriptions for each player are brief summations for the members of BGO.

The Redskins had picks in rounds one, three, four, five, and seven. They also had a compensatory pick in the fourth round and one extra pick in the fifth and seventh rounds via trades.

The chase of a dream for a special young man takes a new course. A franchise has renewed hope. A revamped front office and coaching staff is now on a new journey together. The fan base is excited once again. BBQ has enjoyed this offseason with everyone here. Thank you for making this voyage together a fun adventure, but we have more to do, so let’s dig in.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the virus passes: Hopefully, very soon
- Days until OTAs, Rookie Camp, Mini camp: Unknown
- Days until training camp: To be determined
- Days until the first preseason game: To be determined
- Days until the Redskins season opener: 137

*****Official Selections*****

Here is the draft analysis from BBQ

Round One: Chase Young, Edge/DE, Ohio St. – 6’5, 265
Arguably the best overall player in the draft was there for the taking and the Redskins turned in the (virtual) card. Young is the next great pass rusher in a program that has produced some incredible talent at the edge position in recent years. The impact will be immediate. A quarterback’s nightmare. Excellent run defender. Perfectly tailored for a 4-3 defense.

Round Three: Antonio Gibson, RB/WR/KR, Memphis – 6’0”, 228
So anyway, is he a running back, wide receiver, or kick returner? Gibson was decent at each position a few years ago in community college. Two seasons ago, he saw little action in his first season as a Tiger. Then, 2019 happened. 38 receptions at 19 yards a catch with eight touchdowns. 33 carries at 11 yards per run and four touchdowns. 28 yards per return and one touchdown. How about his 4.39 40 speed? Explosive in all three phases – his versatility is scary good. Does Gibson remind Ron Rivera of Christian McCaffrey?

Round Four: Saahdiq Charles, OT, Louisiana St. – 6’4”, 320
Saahdiq Charles has been busy this offseason. He has added twenty pounds of bulk and muscle to his frame. The biggest knock on Charles was his lack of strength, but his offseason regimen has scouts re-assessing that claim now. He is mobile and while some of his techniques need minor adjustments, this Cajun County Bayou Bengal is definitely ready for life at the next level. Could become a starter by mid-season, maybe sooner.

Round Four, Comp Pick: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty – 6’4”, 225
The Redskins drafted a small Virginia college prospect last year (Jimmy Moreland, James Madison) and history has repeated itself as they draft another small Virginia college prospect in 2020 – Antonio Gandy-Golden of the Liberty Flames. In a draft where the receiving class is considered to be the deepest in nearly twenty-five years, he was able to draw a lot of attention. Good red zone target. Better utilized as an X and Z receiver – AGG can stretch the field and is not an inside option. Slower 40 speed hurt his draft stock, but he is shifty on the outside and deceptively quick. The last Virginia small college wide receiver to have an impact with the Redskins? Gary Clark (James Madison).

Round Five: Keith Ismael, OC, San Diego St. – 6’3”, 310
Keith Ismael is a very talented center, but centers rarely get chosen in the first two rounds of a draft. In a draft where many talented skill position players were selected in the early rounds, solid players dropped further than expected and that benefitted the Redskins in round five. BBQ had Ismael rated as a late third or early fourth rounder. He has a very good chance at unseating Ross Pierschbacher as the backup center and could be a solid starter much sooner than fans may realize.

Round Five: Khaleke Hudson, ILB, Michigan – 5’11”, 225
Khaleke Hudson was a surprise pick by analysts in the fifth round. BBQ had a low grade on Hudson and considered him to be a UDFA. He was drafted for one reason only – his special teams acumen. Hudson plays with a crazy streak and he is something of a loose cannon on defense. He roams the field and free lances way too much. Offensive linemen push him around with ease and bigger tight ends abuse him often. He could shine on special teams, but will have little to no impact on defense.

Round Seven: Kamren Curl, SS/FS/CB, Arkansas – 6’1”, 205
Kamren Curl played three different defensive back positions at Arkansas, but he projects as a strong safety at the next level. Playing closer to the line will hide his lack of speed and coverage issues. Curl should be a very good special teams player and that is where he will need to earn his keep early in his career. Curl is a hard hitter and his addition to the roster officially puts Deshazor Everett on notice. This Razorback could work his way into the strong safety rotation within a year or two.

Round Seven: James Smith-Williams, DE, North Carolina St. – 6’4”, 265
Is James Smith-Williams the steal of the draft for the Redskins? If it wasn’t for several bad luck injuries at N.C. State the last few years, he would’ve been a third round selection or possibly late second round pick. He’s that good. Smith-Williams had a good combine and BBQ thought he would be drafted in the fifth or sixth round. He could work his way into the defensive line rotation within a year if his health can hold up. The Redskins took a chance and it may pay huge dividends.

Undrafted Free Agents
Johnathan Johnson, WR, Missouri
Johnson was a complimentary receiver at Missouri and nothing more. He is a longshot to make the practice squad.

Thaddeus Moss, TE, Louisiana St.
Moss has a realistic chance of making the roster. He was a contributing piece of LSU’s national championship team.

Steven Montez, QB, Colorado
Montez has a chance of making the roster as well. At the very least, he will find a place on the practice squad.

Isaiah Wright, WR, Temple
Wright has a very realistic chance of being on the practice squad and could find his way to the roster within a couple of years.

Additional Notes
The fourth round comp pick comes from the deal that sent Jamison Crowder to the Jets. All other possible comp picks have been canceled out.

We will be combining the draft updates with the free agency updates starting next week.

What a ride it has been. Thank you for all the kind words of support and encouragement this offseason. We have a while to go until the offseason becomes the inseason. See you as we go along.

Burgundy Burner , once again a phenomenal job. You know more about these guys than a lot of people I see on TV. That’s a credit to all of your hard work and dedication.

One question for you. What are your thoughts in general on drafting a guy for special teams? It seems to me the Redskins overall have had terrible special teams over the past decade or two: I think that goes to the philosophy of big names in both free agency and the draft. They have had a few guys that have stood out like Rock Cartwright, Reed Doughty, Niles Paul, and possibly Troy Apke if he sticks around could be one of those guys who makes his mark on social teams. In your opinion, is it worth picking a guy in the late rounds for special teams purposes?

Burgundy Burner , once again a phenomenal job. You know more about these guys than a lot of people I see on TV. That’s a credit to all of your hard work and dedication.

One question for you. What are your thoughts in general on drafting a guy for special teams? It seems to me the Redskins overall have had terrible special teams over the past decade or two: I think that goes to the philosophy of big names in both free agency and the draft. They have had a few guys that have stood out like Rock Cartwright, Reed Doughty, Niles Paul, and possibly Troy Apke if he sticks around could be one of those guys who makes his mark on social teams. In your opinion, is it worth picking a guy in the late rounds for special teams purposes?

I have no problem if it is in the seventh round. The front office can trade a fifth rounder and pick up a sixth and two sevenths. Use two or three picks in the seventh for STs. It is a good strategy. Adding a special teamer in the fifth is a wasted pick, imo. It's like taking a kicker in the fifth - you can find them in the seventh round.

My $0.02.

I have no problem if it is in the seventh round. The front office can trade a fifth rounder and pick up a sixth and two sevenths. Use two or three picks in the seventh for STs. It is a good strategy. Adding a special teamer in the fifth is a wasted pick, imo. It's like taking a kicker in the fifth - you can find them in the seventh round.

My $0.02.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree, but really don’t know where the line is. Obviously the 4th round for Apke was a mistake, but I think they just liked his athleticism and had no clue how bad he would be on defense. So special teams was where he found value. The 7th round is great because it’s the last round and if you can get any value there you are doing well. I guess he falls into that category of probably too early. It’s a tough call no doubt. So I appreciate your insights.

BurnersBurning.php.png

Burner’s Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope you are having a good week. Hello to everyone on social media. We’d love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

The ride to the 2020 NFL draft is over and it has been quite the experience. Eight new draftees will now begin their NFL careers as they put on the Burgundy and Gold. All of them will not only try to make the final roster of fifty-three, but will seek to carve out their roles with the team.

Today is the day when BBQ does a self-evaluation of the mocking process. We began this process just after the conclusion of the 2019 season and it was a huge task. The mocking process for BBQ generally begins in mid-October and increases exponentially in early winter. There were many players to evaluate and it started to feel like cramming for finals or hurriedly meeting a critical deadline for that business proposal. But we made it work and the results – well, take a look in the next paragraph and the grades below.

BBQ had had a challenging mocking process and some of it was good and some of it was not so good. We predicted a trade for Trent Williams throughout the mocking process and one did occur. There were times when a trade down was listed, but that did not happen. Day three players selected by the Redskins received little to no attention from BBQ, but it wasn’t a total whiff. Take a look below and see how it went.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the Redskins season opener: 136

Here is the self-analysis from BBQ

Round One: Chase Young, Edge/DE, Ohio St.
BBQ had him mocked to the Redskins for nearly the entire offseason. Early on, BBQ did suggest a trade could happen, but that was brief and it never occurred again as the process played out. Young was the choice and everyone knew this was going to happen.
Grade: A+

Round Three: Antonio Gibson, RB/WR/KR, Memphis
BBQ began to include him in the later mocks, but mostly at the end of round four with the compensatory pick. That qualifies it as a strong direct hit, but we realized that Gibson was a realistic option when it was reported that the team was very interested in his services.
Grade: B+

Round Four: Saahdiq Charles, OT, Louisiana St.
BBQ scored its second direct hit of the mocks and correctly forecasted this pick. Charles was featured right here for a long time and we never wavered. The front office met with him often and the Redskins continued to send out vibes that pointed squarely at Charles.
Grade: A+

Round Four, Comp Pick: Antonio Gandy-Golden
BBQ scores another indirect hit. AGG was mocked a lot in the fourth and fifth rounds. We typically had a guard slotted at this position, but focused on wide receivers in the middle rounds. AGG wasn’t featured too much in the final week, so this indirect hit is not as solid as the Gibson prediction.
Grade: B

Round Five: Keith Ismael, OC, San Diego St.
We had a guard featured often at the end of round four or in round five. BBQ felt confident a guard would be chosen at this juncture and it did happen, but Ismael was never listed. This lowers the grade somewhat.
Grade: B-

Round Five: Khaleke Hudson, ILB, Michigan
We predicted a linebacker a few times for this slot, but not too often. Hudson is more of a special teams player and we missed here
Grade: C-

Round Seven: Kamren Curl, SS/FS/CB, Arkansas
In the final weeks of the BBQ mock draft process, we did list a couple of free safeties as possible targets and one in particular. Curl was never mentioned. He is more of a strong safety and not a cornerback or free safety. This is a miss, but not a total miss.
Grade: D+

Round Seven: James Smith-Williams, DE, North Carolina St.
The last pick of the draft was typically focused on offensive linemen, but there were times when a wide receiver or defensive back was mocked. BBQ did mock a defensive tackle early on, but never a defensive end/pass rusher.
Grade: F

Undrafted Free Agents
Johnathan Johnson, WR, Missouri
Thaddeus Moss, TE, Louisiana St.
Steven Montez, QB, Colorado
Isaiah Wright, WR, Temple
Montez was mocked in the seventh round quite often. Moss was featured as a player to watch throughout the offseason. Wide receivers were featured, but Johnson and Wright were not listed.
Grade: B+

Overall Grade
BBQ started doing mocks in 2011 – 2010 if you count the BGO contest that year. We’ve had some good years and some not so good years. 2019 was somewhat of a disappointment, but it wasn’t a disaster either. 2020 was better than BBQ was expecting. I was going to score this mocking season as a “B-“, but the final pick was the only real negative. BBQ will try to do better next year.
Overall BBQ Grade: B

In Conclusion
In the coming weeks, we will have reports, analyses, roster predictions, coverage of the various camps/OTAs (if they occur), the remainder of free agency, and any Redskins news. See you as we go along.

You are very kind. Thank you. I am always tough on myself - nothing new there.

BurnersBurning.php.png

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your weekend is a good one. Hello to everyone on social media. We’d love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

The 2020 mock drafting season has come and gone. Eight new draftees will now begin their NFL careers as they put on the Burgundy and Gold. All of them will not only try to make the final roster of fifty-three, but will seek to carve out their roles with the team. Some of these players were mocked by BBQ and you were able to learn about them during our offseason journey together.

Today, we bring you an early 2021 mock with brief descriptions of each player. We will have another mock this fall during the bye week. This mock will probably look nothing like the mock this fall or the mocks next winter. It is difficult to know what the team will need next spring, but let’s give it a try.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the Redskins season opener: 135

The Redskins have eight picks in 2021, including an extra third rounder from the Trent Williams trade. Let’s get right to it.

Round One: Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama
Cornerback will probably be a huge need next offseason and adding an Alabama defensive player is a tradition.

Round Two: Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest
The Redskins have added some great talent the last two years at wide receiver, but it feels like they are still one talented pass catcher from being a dominant force.

Round Three: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Iowa tends to produce good offensive linemen and Jackson is a solid tackle.

Round Three: Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa St.
Tight end will likely continue to be a need in 2021 and Kolar could be a good choice here.

Round Four: Nate Landman, ILB, Colorado
This position will need to be addressed if Reuben Foster is not recovered from injury or is not re-signed.

Round Five: Eric Burell, FS, Wisconsin
Depth at free safety is needed.

Round Six: Paddy Fisher, ILB, Northwestern
Depth at a position that could receive a lot of attention in 2021.

Round Seven: Greg Eiland, OT, Mississippi St.
The last couple of years proves that you can never have enough tackles.

There is the first mock for 2021. BBQ will now take a welcomed break from mocks and turn our focus to the final phase of free agency. See you as we go along.

Geez BB, no alternative choices for each round? Yer slackin'. :bolt:

Seriously tho ... glad you're not saying we'll be Tanking/Losing for Trevor Lawrence.

Interesting - CB/WR in 1 and 2 you think?

While CB is obviously a need, I kinda thought we would look for OL fairly high next spring. If Charles is working out at LT, I'm thinking a G or C in round 2.

Having said that, you are the guy who spends the time on it and it's tough to argue with your record after this year.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't go looking for a dominant TE with or first pick next year. They are rumored to have targeted two guys in this draft but got sniped by other teams. It's one of those holes we could not fill in 2020. Linebacker is another possibility with a top pick.

I appreciate the compliment and comments.

This mock is just a "way too early" look at 2021. I had a look at the same mock from 2019 and who we could pick in 2020. Jaylon Johnson was the only name that stood out. That mock would have been one of the worst in history - anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

So don't put a lot of stock in the spring mocks for the next offseason. The only one that had any kind of accuracy was the year before Josh Doctson was drafted - and you see how that worked out.

In other words, do not trust the numbers I give you for powerball or mega millions. You will miss it by six numbers. And don't order those Trevor Lawrence Redskins jerseys until next April.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.