• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

We need at least a poor-man's Taysom Hill

I've mocked Virginia QB Bryce Perkins a few times in the seventh round and he would fill that role quite well. It would take him a couple of years to adjust to the NFL (just as Hill did).

Hill's coach at BYU was Bronco Mendenhall, the current Virginia coach.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I've mocked Virginia QB Bryce Perkins a few times in the seventh round and he would fill that role quite well. It would take him a couple of years to adjust to the NFL (just as Hill did).

Hill's coach at BYU was Bronco Mendenhall, the current Virginia coach.

That would be great.
And then, if only, we could get the right play-caller to use him, because I think it's a combination of the player's talents, as well as the way the play-caller utilizes him in the right plays and right times.

BurnersBurning.php.png

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your weekend has been a good one. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

Free Agency arrives on March 18 and we'll be here to cover it all for you. This is our first free agency update for the off-season as the 2020 season inches closer in the coming weeks.

Who will we target in free agency before the regular season arrives? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the Senior Bowl: 19
- Days until the NFL Combine: 49
- Days until the opening of Free Agency: 72
- Days until the 2020 NFL Draft: 108
- Days until the Redskins season opener: 248

Free Agents Obtained

Restricted Free Agents
Treyvon Hester, DE
Jerome Cunningham, TE
Caleb Brantley, DE

Exclusive Rights Free Agents
Josh Woodrum, QB

Exercised Option

Trades

Contract Extensions

Players Waived/Released

Physically Unable to Perform, NFI, DNR
Alex Smith, QB
Bryce Love, RB
Trent Williams, OT

Injured Reserve:

NFL Suspension:
Simeon Thomas, CB

Pending Unrestricted Free Agents
Brandon Scherff, OG (New Contract? Tag? Trade?)
Vernon Davis, TE (Unknown)
Chris Thompson, RB (Unlikely To Return)
Case Keenum, QB (Unknown)
Ereck Flowers, OG (Unknown)
Colt McCoy, QB (Unlikely To Return)
Donald Penn, OT (Unknown)
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB (Very Unlikely To Return, Retire?)
Tony Bergstrom, OG (Unknown)
Jon Bostic, ILB (Unknown)
Aaron Colvin, CB (Unknown)
Michael Burton, FB (Unknown)
Nate Orchard, OLB (Unknown)
Wendell Smallwood, RB (Unknown)
Kenny Ladler, SS (Unknown)

Possible Release Candidates
Josh Norman, CB ($12.5M Cap Space Gained If Released)
Ryan Kerrigan, OLB/DE ($11.75M Cap Space Gained If Released)
Jordan Reed, TE ($8.5M Cap Space Gained If Released)
Trent Williams, OT ($12.75M Cap Space Gained If Released)
Paul Richardson, WR ($6.5M Cap Space Gained If Released – Post June 1)
Coty Sensabaugh, CB ($945K Cap Space Gained If Released)

Re-structure Contract Candidates
Alex Smith, QB
Josh Norman, CB
Trent Williams, OT
Ryan Kerrigan, OLB/DE

2020 Dead Money Contracts
Samaje Perine ($165K)
Minor Contracts ($108K)

Possible Free Agent Targets
We are bringing back this feature for 2020 and BBQ has enlisted the help of several Redskins pundits as well as input from yours truly. We have three people who have contributed thus far – Ian Cummings of Riggo's Rag, Nathan Britton of Riggo's Rag, and Mark Tyler of Hogs Haven. Obviously, the Redskins simply can't sign all of these players. This list is simply some players who could fill a need and possibly be available in March.
https://riggosrag.com/
https://www.hogshaven.com/

Tre Boston, FS, Panthers
A.J. Green, WR, Bengals
Chris Harris, CB, Broncos
Jack Conklin, OT, Titans
Yannick Ngakoue, Edge/DE, Jaguars
D.J. Humphries, OT, Cardinals
James Bradberry, CB, Panthers
Austin Hooper, TE, Falcons
Byron Jones, CB, Cowboys
Jacob Hollister (RFA), TE, Seahawks
Shaq Lawson, DE, Bills
Blake Bortles, QB, Rams
Bashaud Breeland, CB, Chiefs
Devin Funchess, WR, Colts
Justin Simmons, FS, Broncos
Germain Ifedi, OT, Seahawks
Vic Beasley, OLB/DE, Falcons
Joe Thuney, OG, Patriots
Anthony Harris, FS, Vikings
Robby Anderson, WR, Jets
Bud Dupree, OLB/DE, Steelers

Off-Season Updates
The Redskins cap room currently stands somewhere between $46M and $47.5M for 2020. Releases and re-structures (if they occur) could increase the cap room considerably.

We still know absolutely nothing on Alex Smith, but he wants to continue his playing career. Will he be ready for the 2020 season? Is his career over? Will he retire? Will he give the Redskins any cap relief? No one knows, but we'll stay on top of it.

The Trent Williams stalemate will have a conclusion this offseason. Stay tuned.

Bryce Love, Jordan Brailford, Caleb Wilson, and Reuben Foster are hoping to see action on the football field for the first time in their Redskins careers. Look for Foster to have a significant impact. Love could be in line for a lot of quality playing time. Brailford and Wilson have uphill climbs to make the final roster of fifty-three.

Personal Thoughts
Here are some players that must have a superb offseason if they hope to be on the roster this fall according to BBQ: CB Greg Stroman, FS/ST Troy Apke, OT Morgan Moses, TE Jeremy Sprinkle, CB Fabian Moreau, OT Geron Christian, WR Trey Quinn, and ILB Josh Harvey-Clemons.

New Head Coach Rivera will certainly bring some of his coaches from Carolina, but he could also bring a few from the Buffalo Bills as he is familiar with some of their assistants.

In the mix for offensive coordinator is Carolina quarterbacks coach Scott Turner (son of Norv Turner) and former Giants coach Pat Shurmur. Turner could be hired as the QB coach if Shurmur becomes the OC or if Kevin O'Connell remains in his current job.

With Rivera as the coach, look for a more disciplined team and a locker room that has more accountability. Rivera's first full day on the job wasn't overly eventful, but he did get rid of the ping pong table in the locker room at Redskins Park. It sounds like the “luxury resort” atmosphere is a thing of the past.

In Conclusion
The free agency updates will continue as new information is available.

I think Moreau started to show us his skills when he was put on the outside during the second half of the season.

The Giants and Dallas threw for all that yardage with Dunbar and Moreau hurt.

So, I am not down on the CBs overall.

Just want to see a resolution of the Norman situation.

Tua officially declared. That's gotta make pick swaps with the dolphins more probable I'd think

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28434466/tua-tagovailoa-leaving-alabama-enter-nfl-draft

Why? They could probably sit still and \draft him. I don't think anyone is going to jump up to get Tua with the injury concern.

Damn! I remember just 3 months ago I was wishing we'd be in a position to grab him, here we are and I wouldn't touch him. He's taken a beating at Bama. I don't know how serious this injury, but couple with his ankle injury and I have to wonder if what made him so good, avoiding pressure ala Russell Wilson, might not be such a strength anymore.

If he were healthy, we'd be sitting real purdy.

Brian. Tua's hip will be 100% fine. Trust me. It will have zero impact on his draft position.

Whether there's a team wanting to leap frog or not we just have to convince the fish that there's interest in our pick. There's no doubt 32 team dr's looking into it and monitoring his rehab. Once there's a gtg claim we'll get offers. Good enough to be worth is another matter

Brian. Tua's hip will be 100% fine. Trust me. It will have zero impact on his draft position.

It's not his only injury though, John. His ankle was banged up twice now, he's lost enough time to injury of both legs now to have concern. I hear you, but the investment in him could be limited, thus not giving us the equity we'd have otherwise at our draft position.

El, in a QB driven and starved league someone may get froggy and want to jump to #2 .

Question on new staff and players. Can the new staff and players interact and discuss football? I know due to CBA there is a point where they can't discuss football. Just wasn't sure when it starts and ends.

Bottom line, at the moment that #2 overall pick is golden. Either we get an elite player, which god knows we can use, OR, if someone gets antsy enough, we have a chance to trade down and accumulate picks we think worthy and try to fill some glaring holes.

Currently I'm favoring using the pick on Young, assuming things hold to form and the Bengals nab Burrow. What we'll need to do between now and Draft Night is have a strong plan in place about that we'd do in the 15 allotted minutes if Young somehow goes #1 .

Bottom line, at the moment that #2 overall pick is golden. Either we get an elite player, which god knows we can use, OR, if someone gets antsy enough, we have a chance to trade down and accumulate picks we think worthy and try to fill some glaring holes.

Currently I'm favoring using the pick on Young, assuming things hold to form and the Bengals nab Burrow. What we'll need to do between now and Draft Night is have a strong plan in place about that we'd do in the 15 allotted minutes if Young somehow goes [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] .

There's been a lot of "wishful thinking" on this board about Chase Young going #1 over Burrow. I think we should eliminate this idea, so it doesn't perpetuate into an real argument. Haha!

It's almost the same as when I'd hoped that the Colts would draft RG3 so Luck could slip to us...it ain't happening. Sure, sure anything can happen, but I would bet my house on this, that's how unlikely I see Burrow slipping to us.

With that said, if Tua keeps climbing the draft boards because his injury is not as serious as many think, we could still be in a position to trade down. We're a team on the rebuild, and 1st and 2nd round draft picks are the best commodity to do so. In this draft we have just one in those 2 rounds.

So, do we take a "generational player" who looked rather ordinary in the 2 biggest games of his career? Or do we entertain a trade that could help us rebuild, faster? Like Bulldog mentioned in another thread, this is a now league, so the faster the turnaround, the better chance to maintain your job.

In this case, I'm not sure that's necessarily the case, it feels like Rivera will get his 5 years like Shanahan could have had, and Gruden got. So do we accept that this year we will not have a 2nd round pick and go from there, being happy to have that "generational talent?"

I am more inclined to have 3 starters from 1st and 2nd round picks, than a young DE who practically disappeared in championship games.
'

Couple things, El.

One, not sure who you're saying is "wishful thinking" on Young going #1 , but it's not me. I think for him to go #1 would be a monumental upset--either someone makes Cincy a stupid trade full of #1 's, 2's and multiple nude dancers to be named later, or maybe Cincy really is lost and they take Young despite needing a QB as much as anyone ever has (not unlike us last April).

There's a long way to go before draft day ... workouts, combine, interviews, unicycle accidents, etc. ... but sitting here today I think Young will be there for the taking at #2 .

At that point it's a matter of whether or not Rivera & Co. choose to ignore your sage council (nudge, wink) and draft him anyway, thinking he's a legit disruptive blue-chipper we desperately need up front, OR, if not, choose the trade down option. At which point the gamble is that enough of those extra picks turn out to be the automatic plug-in starters you seem to feel are a sure thing further down the board.

Good thing we have football people running the show, huh. ;)

Couple things, El.

One, not sure who you're saying is "wishful thinking" on Young going #1 , but it's not me.

Not you, just that is gaining traction among fans in general.

I think for him to go #1 would be a monumental upset--either someone makes Cincy a stupid trade full of #1 's, 2's and multiple nude dancers to be named later, or maybe Cincy really is lost and they take Young despite needing a QB as much as anyone ever has (not unlike us last April).

Yeah, when they started Finley early in the season to see what they had when they realized they weren't going anywhere, and knew that Dalton was on his last legs, I'd hoped Finley would succeed...he didn't. Dalton replaced him and they won. Burrows is a Bengals QB. I think we all know that.

There's a long way to go before draft day ... workouts, combine, interviews, unicycle accidents, etc. ... but sitting here today I think Young will be there for the taking at #2 .

At that point it's a matter of whether or not Rivera & Co. choose to ignore your sage council (nudge, wink) and draft him anyway, thinking he's a legit disruptive blue-chipper we desperately need up front, OR, if not, choose the trade down option. At which point the gamble is that enough of those extra picks turn out to be the automatic plug-in starters you seem to feel are a sure thing further down the board.

Good thing we have football people running the show, huh. ;)

I know it seems like a 2nd round pick is not guaranteed to start, but that's because we haven't had one start out of the blocks in a long time, but it happens often in the NFL. You are correct, not all 1st and 2nd rounders are going to start right away, but I wouldn't trade beyond the top 10...maybe 12.

There are 2 teams I can think of with equity in the first round, who have top 12 picks...the Dolphins are definitely in the hunt for a QB, but word is that Gruden is souring on Carr, it could be a great situation for them to leap for Tua.

Coaching update on the first page, second entry. The staff is coming together.

Defensive Line: Sam Mills

Is that Sam Mills Jr, or Sam Mills III ?
Because they both actually coached defense for Carolina.

Yikes. Nevermind I just read that Sam Mills Jr, actually died at the age of 45 :(

Last edited:

Cue the @fansince62 criticism of Rivera for hiring dead coaches.:nono::rifle::furious2::soapbox::redpunch::hammer::aargh4::rotflmao:

Last edited:

You can question whether Jay Gruden and some of his coaches were breathing during the 2019 season :whoo:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.