• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

a 3rd next year and a 5th this year? are you joking?

Let’s not embellish it.

Trent was a second team all-pro ONCE in his career so let’s not make it out that he is the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

A more than credible case can be made that a player in his own division Jason Peters has had a more distinguished career.

I noticed that what tends to happen in the NFL is once a player makes an all pro team or the pro bowl he continues to be described as ‘all pro Player X’ or ‘pro bowler Player X’.

Pro bowl voting to me is a bit of a joke as some players seem to get in on name recognition year after year, even when they miss half the season with injuries.

there was a moment in 2018 I wanted to move him to LG and let Nsheke try his hand at LT. They did that a few times and it was really good.

he wasn't Chris Samuels by any reach.

Have we done this yet? BGO-rank Redskins LT's on an all-time great list?

First we'd have to agree on a Mt. Rushmore ... and probably have some idea what the criteria are, i.e., longevity, availability, discipline, leadership, etc. Which of course makes anyone's ranking defensible. Just on first-blush though, quickly mentally incorporating all factors I readily think of, I think I go:

1. Jim Lachey - while he played, I've never seen a Redskin play the position better.
2. Joe Jacoby - because he played forever, did whatever was asked, was a beast, and made those epic big-screen TV spots.
3. Chris Samuels - the consummate pro, while never physically as dominant as some, simply never seemed to make mistakes.
4. Trent Williams - probably the most physically gifted for strength, agility, natural athleticism. But there was always a "but" it seemed.

nfl-media-guide_washington-redskins_1993.jpg

Oh yeah ... and I've never ever forgotten this:

Without ranking, if you go earlier (and you have to, if you are looking for guys that really held down the LT spot),
Terry Hermeling, our starting LT in 1972, 73, 75, 78, 79, and 80. He was also our starting RG in 1976 and 77. He was listed as one of the 70 Best Redskins.

During the Eddie Lebaron years, Don Boll was our LT from 1954-1959.

And a bonafide REQUIRED for top 5 of all time - the great Turk Edwards who was our LT from 1932 to 1939. He's a College Football and NFL HOFer btw, all 6'2" 255 lbs of him - and was later the Redskins Head Coach. He's also the only player I know of whose career ended when he tore his knee up DURING THE COIN TOSS :)

Last edited:
Forgot the most important detail of Joe Jacoby, which I think leapfrogs him past Lachey... Joe Jacoby Chrysler Plymouth Jeep Eagle commercials.

I find it hard to rate our LT's. The game has evolved so much hard to be fair.

I was fortunate to see Hermeling play and he was a good LT.

I find it hard to rate our LT's. The game has evolved so much hard to be fair.

I was fortunate to see Hermeling play and he was a good LT.

You have to rate them within their era. Nutrition, training, hell - genetics - have all contributed to larger, faster, stronger players. But the best of the best rose to the top in their era. Imagine a 6'5" 330 lb Turk Edwards playing today. I have no doubt he'd be every bit as dominant as Trent Williams supposedly was.

Al Bundy and his 4 TD game would have made Barry Sanders look foolish if he made it to the NFL with today’s training... :cool:

It’ll be poetic justice to not only beat the niners this year, but have our DE’s so fired up they embarrass Trent all game.

Then, we do it all over again in the playoffs.

Edit: I bet the league schedules than one close to if not the 1st regular season game. The league needs the hype and also want Trent To be dressed to play. No way that’s happening after week 4, he’ll be dinged up by then.

Last edited:
OM putting that Lachey hit was a great throwback. Damn I want us to have an o-line like that again!

After a few days away from this thread, I've just spent the past 45 mins reading through it. Whew! It's had more dramatic ups and downs that most TV soaps!

Bit late weighing in, but here's my opinion...

I, personally, was just happy they cut bait on this whole mess. Listening to Riverboat Ron this week basically admit that there was a 1st on the table that Snydley Whiplash and Co. let slip through their fingers last year stings.
I remember at the time we were talking about this becoming an FU statement from BA to Trent, that it had become seemingly personal rather than business. That stance all but seems to have been confirmed now. I'm so glad BA is now history, he hurt this franchise in so many ways, and Snydley is complicit for supporting him.

Rivera is coming across to me like a breath of fresh air. This whole situation with Trent and Dunbar (regardless of whether we think we got fair market value for them) just strikes me as him drawing a line under it all as quickly as possible. Sod the chemotherapy, just cut the cancer out! It feels like we're now left in a situation that is pretty clean of the crap that BA and the previous coaching regime dumped on us in the final year. Apart from our long standing wish for Syndley to be gone (which isn't happening anytime soon) this seems as clean a new start as we've had in a LONG time.

We're a young team, that can learn to win together and hopefully stay together for an extended run of success. Yup, that's me being the optimist again.

Whether I think we got air value for Trent, to me that's a question that has an answer in flux.

Taking that dangled first pick out of the equation, as it was an offer to the previous regime and not this new Ron-centric one, it does feel like we got bad value.
On the other hand, I'm really not crying myself to sleep over it in the slightest, as I REALLY just wanted an end to the saga. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when the trade was announced rather than bemoan the return.

I think it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Will Trent still be the player we remember after 15 months out, surgery and the inevitable attentions of Father Time? How long will he have playing for San Fran? Plus; unless you're the Patriots, how many teams make Superbowl return visits frequently? Odds are the 49ers may well not be making a return to the big game.

Meanwhile, we have a young team, with a number of draft picks related to that trade that may or may not pan out. Saahdiq Charles was picked up immediately after that trade,ostensibly as TW's replacement (I know the picks don't correlate, but essentially I feel we made this pick BECAUSE of that trade. Otherwise that pick may have been different) so if he becomes a stud, maybe hindsight looks at this trade more favourably. Or maybe one of the next 3 draft picks after that pan out well.
Or maybe we play a blinder in the 3rd round next year.

A lot of balls still in the air for me on this one.

But to reiterate... I'm just glad this is done and Rivera is putting history to bed quickly. I'm VERY happy to be moving forward.

I'm a huge Jacoby fan but for me it's hands down Jim Lachey. What he regularly did to LT alone was enough to seal it for me.

How are you guys choosing anyone over a HOFer?? That’s just ‘recency’ bias. Obviously I’m a huge fan of Jacoby, Lachey, all the guys mentioned. But were they all time greats? Edwards is a consensus all time great - just sayin...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.